Averages

Kicks: 7.3/game
Handballs: 3.7/game
Disposals: 11.0/game
Marks: 3.2/game

Milestones

Nil

Standout

Round 4, 2018 (versus Melbourne): The Demons' brains trust must be scratching their heads when it comes to Tim O'Brien, as he loves to play the Demons. In wet conditions, O'Brien was a commanding presence around the ground, taking a number of contested grabs and hitting up leads all over the ground, but still being able to find enough time in front of goals to kick three for the game (which represented 75% of his tally for the season).

Shocker

Round 17, 2018 (versus Brisbane Lions): A meek game from O'Brien, with just seven disposals, no marks and the sole tackle. It was an effort that wasn't good enough for Clarkson and the Hawthorn staff, so he was dropped and didn't return. Needs a big 2019 as he's off contract at the end of the season.

I have all but given up on him. He has the tools but I think lacks the heart to fight it out to get to contests and impact them.

Needs to take more marks and if forward kick goals before another look at seniors.

Too many times he would kick 2 goals and have a few other nice touches and get a senior game. This became untenable when confronted with Lewis kicking 3 every week and impacting contests.

Every year I hope/think that this will be the year, and sadly it just never happens.

So this year I’m expecting much of the same if not less, strangely hoping it will be a break out year for the ‘kid’

What's holding him back do you think?
He has the size, can mark,can kick goals.
Is it purely lack of confidence?
Is it work rate?
Or is it just that he's not good enough for the top grade?

I guess I put him the Schoey category, that one day it just might all click.

I think he reads the ball quite well, but can't seem to hold onto all of the marks that he gets to.

All the more reason to persist with him in defence where he can simply get to those contests and spoil, rather than attempt the mark.

Given he's contracted until the end of the year, stick him in defence and keep him there, don't swing him forward.

Look at Liam Jones for Carlton. Hopefully Timmy can take a similar path.

Needs to keep working hard and he might start to put it together. Has been given a lot of chances, but with Roughy nearing the end and Schoenmakers seemingly on the nose (also out of contract in 2019), Timmy could see himself get opportunities in 2020

Just about 25 and this will be his final season on the list, If it isn't it'll be concerning how many other poor players we had in 2019.
If it isn't his last year on the list it will be because he performs well in the AFL.

If we have a bad year and no other key position players emerge he will still be delisted if he doesn't turn it around.

I think he reads the ball quite well, but can't seem to hold onto all of the marks that he gets to.

All the more reason to persist with him in defence where he can simply get to those contests and spoil, rather than attempt the mark.

Given he's contracted until the end of the year, stick him in defence and keep him there, don't swing him forward.

Not sure where I even start with all the fairytales.... TO is just too nice... I bet he doesn't even swear when he stubs his toe....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wasn't far off putting some decent games together. Just needs to hang onto the opportunities he makes for himself.

I would love to see him penciled in at CHB to start the season and given a really good run there.

He will be 25 years of age at the start of the season. He was a speculative pick that was always going to take time. 46 games of AFL, I really feel this is the year he will make an impact. He has been judged very harshly by many.

He's just a kid and we know KKP take longer to develop. Let's be patient with him and wait until he's matured, 2022 should be about the time that we can unleash him on the comp but until then he will learn his craft and the game plan in the BHH.
I can’t tell whether this is a joke or not, he’ll be 28 in 2022 and probably have 2 decent years left in him. Would rather us just cut our ties from him because he has been a tease ever since he came to us

Hard to see who TO goes to against some of the contenders. Frawley will take Lynch and Kennedy. TO at CHB then gets Riewoldt and Darling. Dunno if I like those match-ups for TO.

We've been hoping and praying for a breakout by Timmy for a while but I think he is a state league player at best. Does well in defense for BH but doesn't have the class to crack AFL level football. He's probably been passed by Lewis as the next tall forward option too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back