Goals: 12
Yabby Medal votes: 5 (16th)

Averages

Kicks: 8.8 per game
Handballs: 3.9 per game
Disposals: 12.8 per game
Marks: 4.4 per game

Milestones

Career high goals in a game (4, versus West Coast Eagles, Round 23, 2019)

Standout

Round 23, 2019 (versus West Coast Eagles): O'Brien saved his best game of the season for the last game. In an upset victory over the finals-bound Eagles, O'Brien was the spearhead, kicking four goals from 10 disposals to lead the Hawks to a 38 point victory. It was the culmination of a fine run of form to end the season, with O'Brien (who started the season in defence) kicking 12 goals over the last five games of the season in tandem with Mitchell Lewis. At 25, it's taken time for O'Brien to become a dependable contributor but his last month of the season suggested that he will become a vital part of Hawthorn's near-term future.

Shocker

Round 15, 2019 (versus West Coast Eagles): Playing in defence, O'Brien had limited impact on the game, with just nine disposals and three tackles. Although Frawley did well to keep Kennedy without a goal, Jack Darling kicked five goals to lead the Eagles to victory over Hawthorn and Darling kicked some of those goals on O'Brien.

23 - Tim O'Brien (2018)

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Always surprised me when he was dropped in previous years when I though he showed something in most games, just thought he needed a solid run in the seniors to benefit.

Definitely a forward & I love the amount of pressure he puts on for a big guy, definitely something I noticed very early on in his games. Hopefully takes another step forward next year.

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Corner. Turned. Big year from Timmy! He really increases our marking power in the forward half. Between him, Lewis, Wingard, Sicily, McEvoy, Ceglar, with Patton, Impey and Walker coming in, we have some really good marking power around the ground.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Corner. Turned. Big year from Timmy! He really increases our marking power in the forward half. Between him, Lewis, Wingard, Sicily, McEvoy, Ceglar, with Patton, Impey and Walker coming in, we have some really good marking power around the ground.
Yeah - hoping Walker has big a preseason to make that forwardline even more competitive. Forwardline was a disaster at the start of the year. Love how the club has focussed on it towards the end of the year.

Pumped

MrFujiMoto

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks, Norwood Redlegs
I like his marking ability. He always got hi hands to the ball but they just never stuck well in previous seasons. Hopefully he can continue to pull in the marks as he is a decent shot on goal. Great third tall and he gives Gunston the flexibility to play more around the ground if needed.

May 4, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thought he was one of our better defenders when going back. Wouldn't be averse to throwing him back if we are getting smacked ala Gunston the last few years

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I like his marking ability. He always got hi hands to the ball but they just never stuck well in previous seasons. Hopefully he can continue to pull in the marks as he is a decent shot on goal. Great third tall and he gives Gunston the flexibility to play more around the ground if needed.
I think he was always capable of those big marks, but what changed this year was not so much pulling down hangers, but rather his ability (willingness) to compete even when he’s unlikely to mark. Hawthornhighlights for round 23 will show you why it’s his best game - he not only bags 4, but he puts his body in 2 or 3 other times and it results in a goal for us. It’s great to see how much he’s loving that game too!

hardway

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2003
Northern suburb
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I always have said he reminds me of having the same attributes as Jones (Blues) . Forward is not his go and should've been our CHB this year and Frost/Hartigan to fight out FB. If any thing comes from his second half effort today is that the Crows might remember it when its trade time this year.

Let's not have 1 half decent quarter make our view become he's Matthew Scarlett.

He's been tried in defence before. And we have better options than him down there.

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Let's not have 1 half decent quarter make our view become he's Matthew Scarlett.

He's been tried in defence before. And we have better options than him down there.

He marked a lot of balls as clean as a whistle playing forward and linking up from kick outs, before going back against the Crows.

He also went back onto a guy who kicked five on someone half his size.

TOB was already playing well, and when his confidence is up, there is just no way was he going to get beaten by someone playing their first game.

He's also too fast and agile for the likes of the giant sized plodders that the Crows field.

I don't think we'll see him back permanently any time soon though. He's a utility, and always has been in Clarko's eyes imo.

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Totally agree with the first part, don’t know if we do have better options. Hartigan has had a forgettable two weeks. If we reckon that Frost can manage King while Timmy or Scrimshaw juggle Membrey...

He soujourn in the forward half has probably reached its use by date. We’re stacked with better options, especially if Gunston comes back this week.

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Who are the better options? Hartigan has been big average & we can't just rely on Frost to put in the effort to play tall. We absolutely need another tall down there against most teams and atm TOB is our best option to be that other tall.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hartigan and frost give away 3-4 goals a week through dumb s**t or basic skill errors. If O’Brien does go back at the expense of one of those two, I hope people are forgiving of his occasional turnovers!

he played well most of the game, particularly in the first and last quarter. Played forward, ruck and defender. His versatility is an asset. Just needs to hold at least one position down. Averaging 1.4 goals per game is solid as a third tall but he isn’t going to carry us up forward. I have always liked him best in defence.

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
This is hilarious. Proclaimed ‘corner turned’, a year and a half later, and almost a decade into his career, and he still hasn’t...

Don't think we do.

The better options for those roles were once Frawley and Stratton, they're gone now. Frost and Hartigan have deficiencies.

Frost seems to perform better as the third tall so perhaps the three down there are fine, particularly now Burgoyne is out injured.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
I think he can fill a void in the backline until Sicily returns, TOB being in the best 22 is far from ideal, but our list is pretty bad, if he's going to play better off in the back 6 as opposed to the forward 6.

Back