24/11/17 6pm National Draft: Picks 47, 51, 58, 60 + 61

Remove this Banner Ad

1 rookie spot who takes it? Lindsay Thomas seems certain. Or Port could go another direction which they did last night. Was expected to use only 4 picks, draft Edwards with 1 then rookie Close and Thomas. I guess Sam Hayes changed all that so maybe Thomas isn't a lock.

I wouldn't be disappointed with Thomas but would like to see a taller player taken. Maybe Krueger or Close.

1 rookie spot who takes it? Lindsay Thomas seems certain. Or Port could go another direction which they did last night. Was expected to use only 4 picks, draft Edwards with 1 then rookie Close and Thomas. I guess Sam Hayes changed all that so maybe Thomas isn't a lock.

I wouldn't be disappointed with Thomas but would like to see a taller player taken. Maybe Krueger or Close.

Crows to nominate Edwards as a F/S rookie today.

We only have 1 spot and if its Thomas that's it. All over red rover.

So which forwards were we found out against?

Patton?
McGovern?

I doubt having a different defender would've made a difference. It was the delivery that allowed them to dominate not defense personnel.

We are great behind venter we just need to be consistent in the middle and forward of centre.

Our recruits in the trade and draft periods address this strongly
O.k. I'll bite. But it is your turn next.

I have focussed on talls that predominantly played forward against us.

Round 3 v Crows, Walker (4), Lynch (2), Otten (2) and McGovern killed us.

Round 4 v GWS, Patton (6) Lobb and Cameron killed us

Round 7 v WCE, Darling, Kennedy and Vardy dis a job on us. Using their talls, they continually went long over our press to their talls and they slaughtered us. On the return game, we won, but they did not play Kennedy and Darling scored 4 goals.

Round 12 v Essondon, Hooker 197 cm (5), Daniher 200 cm (4), Stewart 198 cm (2) and Goddard 193 cm absolutely neutered us.

Round 18 v Melbourne, they had Hogan, Watts and McDonald. I think we played Austin in that game and it did not go well.

Round 20 v Crows, Jenkins (4), Walker (4), Jacobs (was used in the forward line that game a lot), Lynch and McGovern played tall and we got murdered.

Round 21 I think we started playing Howard.

NOW YOUR TURN. GIVE ME A LIST OF TEAMS WITH A PACK OF TALL FORWARDS WE MONSTERED IN 2017.

O.k. I'll bite. But it is your turn next.

I have focussed on talls that predominantly played forward against us.

Round 3 v Crows, Walker (4), Lynch (2), Otten (2) and McGovern killed us.

Round 4 v GWS, Patton (6) Lobb and Cameron killed us

Round 7 v WCE, Darling, Kennedy and Vardy dis a job on us. Using their talls, they continually went long over our press to their talls and they slaughtered us. On the return game, we won, but they did not play Kennedy and Darling scored 4 goals.

Round 12 v Essondon, Hooker 197 cm (5), Daniher 200 cm (4), Stewart 198 cm (2) and Goddard 193 cm absolutely neutered us.

Round 18 v Melbourne, they had Hogan, Watts and McDonald. I think we played Austin in that game and it did not go well.

Round 20 v Crows, Jenkins (4), Walker (4), Jacobs (was used in the forward line that game a lot), Lynch and McGovern played tall and we got murdered.

Round 21 I think we started playing Howard.

NOW YOUR TURN. GIVE ME A LIST OF TEAMS WITH A PACK OF TALL FORWARDS WE MONSTERED IN 2017.

Just curious, what point are you making?

Port had one of the league best defences in 2017 and most of the examples you’ve listed were due to weakness in the midfield and/or inaccuracy in front of goal as opposed to defensive structure. Who cares if a key forward kicks 4 goals, it’s more important the opposition team kicks fewer goals than we do and we did an excellent job there.

The GWS loss is probably the only game we went short in defence and it burned us, but even in that game we were sans Ryder.

Just curious, what point are you making?

Port had one of the league best defences in 2017 and most of the examples you’ve listed were due to weakness in the midfield and/or inaccuracy in front of goal as opposed to defensive structure. Who cares if a key forward kicks 4 goals, it’s more important the opposition team kicks fewer goals than we do and we did an excellent job there.

The GWS loss is probably the only game we went short in defence and it burned us, but even in that game we were sans Ryder.
I was replying to the post from elpirate. We lost in the midfield and kicked poorly in games as well, but were able to contain the opposition. In those games I listed, we lost each game and could not contain the forwards, except maybe the Melbourne game. The point is, in those games, were were one tall short in the back lines. And opposition teams knew it and used it.

This is my estimate of the Rookie Draft order on Monday, assuming the PSD doesn't happen, as has been the case for the past two or three years

1 - Brisbane
2 - Gold Coast
3 - Carlton
4 - North Melbourne
5 - Fremantle
6 - Collingwood
7 - Hawthorn
8 - St. Kilda
9 - Western Bulldogs
10 - Melbourne
11 - Essendon
12 - Port Adelaide
13 - West Coast
14 - Sydney
15 - GWS
16 - Geelong
17 - Adelaide
18 - Richmond
19 - Gold Coast
20 - Carlton
21 - North Melbourne
22 - Fremantle
23 - Collingwood
24 - Hawthorn
25 - St. Kilda
26 - Western Bulldogs
27 - Essendon
28 - West Coast
29 - Sydney
30 - GWS
31 - Geelong
32 - Adelaide
33 - Gold Coast
34 - Collingwood
35 - Hawthorn
36 - West Coast
37 - Sydney
38 - GWS
39 - Adelaide
40 - Gold Coast
41 - West Coast
42 - GWS
43 - Adelaide
44 - Gold Coast
45 - GWS

So from Parker's summary:
Hayes - Ruck.
Farrell - Half Forward.
Patmore - defender/mid
Garner - Small defender
Barry - Mid/forward

3 half back flankers faaarrkkkeeennn!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know how we attracted Rockliff, Motlop and Watts to the club this year, to go with the likes of Dixon, Ryder and Polec in previous years? You know how all we had a crack at the Crows and their poor player culture and poor player retention?All of that happened because, as a club, we’re considered the kind of club that wouldn’t urge somebody to break their contract with their current club to come to us and then shaft him at the last minute because there was a shinier toy left in the cot.

Footballers aren’t commodities, they’re people. Lindsay has uprooted his life and left his previous workplace because he wants to play for Port Adelaide. We’ve committed to him. Like it or not, he’s getting drafted on Monday. Leaving him high and dry after he agreed to break his contract with Norf to join us would be the perfect way to undo a lot of the ‘destination club’ culture that we’ve worked long and hard to build.

Last edited:
You know how we attracted Rockliff, Motlop and Watts to the club this year, to go with the likes of Dixon, Ryder and Polec in previous years? You know how all we had a crack at the Crows and their poor player culture and poor player retention?All of that happened because, as a club, we’re considered the kind of club that wouldn’t urge somebody to break their contract with their current club to come to us and then shaft him at the last minute because there was a shinier toy left in the cot.

Footballers aren’t commodities, they’re people. Lindsay has uprooted his life and left his previous workplace because he wants to play for Port Adelaide. We’ve committed to Thomas. Like it or not, he’s getting drafted on Monday. Leaving him high and dry after he agreed to break his contract with Norf to join us would be the perfect way to undo so much of the ‘destination club’ culture we’ve built in one move.
Some common sense

We’ve committed to Thomas. Like it or not, he’s getting drafted on Monday. Leaving him high and dry after he agreed to break his contract with Norf to join us would be the perfect way to undo so much of the ‘destination club’ culture we’ve built in one move.

Unless we arrange a move for someone else from our squad, which I doubt we would, we will have only one pick. We are going to close our list with Thomas.

P.S.: Magpies have openings for SANFL-only players, though. I have no idea how we fill those spots.

Upgrade players from the Academy mostly.

Thanks. When do we have to close that list?

One last question (for now): how are we supposed to pick players, if the Academy team will cease to compete (and we don't have a zone anymore)?

Thanks. When do we have to close that list?

One last question (for now): how are we supposed to pick players, if the Academy team will cease to compete (and we don't have a zone anymore)?
The SANFL list I think can be finalised by mid season. Also the Academy team will still be playing next season.

The SANFL list I think can be finalised by mid season. Also the Academy team will still be playing next season.

I know, but we will have to deal with this issue soon.

Does anybody who knows Rockliff like him? Such a campaigner.

Lol I keep finding so much s**t I've posted about Rockliff.

He's our campaigner now :rainbow:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back