24/11/17 6pm National Draft: Picks 47, 51, 58, 60 + 61

Remove this Banner Ad

A pick in the 40's with our picks we've already got isn't great. I'd hope we leverage one of our mid/late seconds + Broadbent into early second round. Or our 3rd plus Broadbent for another 2nd round pick.
Yep that's the sort of way we should trade out Broadbent unless he has a real shocker of a season and plays in the Sanfl nearly all year at an average level and has no lost his value. If he can't get into the side because all our other HBFers are playing well and he dominates the Sanfl his value will slide but we would get something decent for him.

Just finished watching the new Power recruits highlights. Garner looked as good as any of the top 10 picks and wouldn't surprise me if he gets a call up in the seniors very early on.
Just wayching his highlights reminds me of Hodge...style, reading the play, intercept marking...calmness and seemed to ooze class..not saying he will be as good but looks quality...and clearly has leadership written all over him

Last year Knightmare tipped we would use our first pick on English. I quizzed him and he admitted that he had just made a guess. None of these phantoms know anything about Port Adelaide and don’t bother to learn. We don’t rate the attention. What we need is missionpossible on the BF phantom draft thread next year. This year we had the enemy telling us who we were going to pick. Never again please.

The best way I have found to get value out of the phantom drafts and draft board is just to completely ignore any mention of specific teams (particularly lower down the order) and just focus on the player assessments. Even with the club specific experts at the end of the day there is very little inside knowledge as to who clubs will target, for that you have to pair it with what the AFL official reporters (ie. Twomey) have to say even though his assessments of the players are not as enlightening.

Anyhow it's funny how people have bitched and moaned about the quality of the draft, yet in the aftermath every club and supporter is stoked with the outcome and confident they're the lucky ones who've picked the diamonds out of the rough. Irrationality of footy is one of the fun things about being a supporter - I am guilty of it too, based on what I have seen I see a lot of positives in the players we have selected!

Comparing our picks with the consensus draft.

The method is simple – we have assembled eight draft rankings in order to sort the prospective draftees. We’ll use this to identify which players and clubs there is consensus on, and where the experts disagree. HPN looks at two different measures: the average draft position and the “mode” – the position a player is most.

Player Our Pick Consensus

Sam Hayes 47 19

Kane Farrell 51 40

Jake Patmore 58 * not on consensus but knightmare had him at 50

Joel Garner 60 24

http://www.hpnfooty.com/?p=25084

Overall then this was the first draft where the 18 year olds were all drafted by us well below their expected place.

The method is simple – we have assembled eight draft rankings in order to sort the prospective draftees. We’ll use this to identify which players and clubs there is consensus on, and where the experts disagree. HPN looks at two different measures: the average draft position and the “mode” – the position a player is most.

Sam Hayes 47 19

Kane Farrell 51 40

Joel Garner 60 24

Overall then this was the first draft where the 18 year olds were all drafted by us well below their expected place.
By that one reach (Patmore), a slider (Farrell) and two outright steals with Hayes and Garner.

It'd be interesting to view consensus versus drafted positions for the 2011-2015 drafts (leaving that 16-17 it's too early to get a gauge on lots of players), to see whether if you were re-doing the draft whether consensus or clubs were closer to the mark.

Sam Hayes 47 19

Kane Farrell 51 40

Joel Garner 60 24

Some one or two in that 8 phantom draftees used to build the consensus draft had Hayes at 38 and Garner at 44. Cant be arsed looking and which of the 8 made those 2 calls but it would be interesting to compare there whole draft to see how accurate they were in their top 30 vs 31-60.

He was born January 8th 1998

3euOVig.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back