Delisted #24: Craig Bird - Not offered a contract for 2018 - 24/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Stiff.

J Merrett either has great photos of somebody or his brother contracted in his retention on the list.

He could still go I guess but not sure why Bird was delisted before him.

I don't understand this decision in the broader context.

Bird strikes me as ideal depth based on his ability to run out a game in the middle and to play as a defensive forward. He's the list spot of himself, Howlett and Green in one.

His selection this year annoyed me because I thought that it was premature to be selecting him to chase results but there would be worse options to have in the event of a wretched run with injury.

I'm otherwise as happy as I am surprised that we are being this ruthless.

Last edited:

Bird strikes me as ideal depth based on his ability to run out a game in the middle and to play as a defensive forwards. He's the list spot of himself, Howlett and Green in one.

His selection this year annoyed me because I thought that it was premature to be selecting him to chase results but there would be worse options to have in the event of a wretched run with injury.

I don't get it either, thought he might have been upgraded to the senior team this year..

There will be a couple others nervous after these decisions. Right call though, Bird is solid depth but there are only so many spots, it's not as if he leaves a hole.

Stiff.

J Merrett either has great photos of somebody or his brother contracted in his retention on the list.

He could still go I guess but not sure why Bird was delisted before him.
In the end does it matter what order the delistings are in?

Bird strikes me as ideal depth based on his ability to run out a game in the middle and to play as a defensive forward. He's the list spot of himself, Howlett and Green in one.

Yeah he did seem decent depth, I do wonder if another club (say GCFC) may have let him know he'd get more AFL game time and Essendon were happy to offer him a contract with the knowledge he'll mainly play VFL or delist if he wanted to explore his options as a DFA.

Can't see any reason to keep uncontracted players that are 26+ That don't have a cemented 22 spot. Good move for me.

Very unlucky, should've played more.
We didn't really give the kids ago this year and if we chased results, then I question Colyer and Watson's selection at times.

Depth at what cost? I'd rather play Clarke who is a little further down in the pecking order then calling upon Craig Bird.

We will never have this so called depth if we don't develop these kids, time is now.
So called depth?

He was more than adequate when called upon this year.

Bird would have never been here if it wasn't for you know what & he'll soon be where he would have been anyway, carving out a solid end to his career in the VFL.

So called depth?

He was more than adequate when called upon this year.

Ha, I think you summed it perfectly ‘adequate’.

I prefer getting an ‘adequate’ output from first to fourth year players then giving someone who clearly is always just going to be ‘adequate’ and quite clearly will only ever be a depth player.

The other young players I mentioned have the scope to be way more then just adequate. A few of them have scope to be exceptional.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great decision. Don't understand the love for a senior guy whose slowed to a treacle and can't get a game.

Game has passed him. Plainly obvious last year and lack of games this year shows coaches on right path. Time to give some kids with run and energy a go.

Ha, I think you summed it perfectly ‘adequate’.

I prefer getting an ‘adequate’ output from first to fourth year players then giving someone who clearly is always just going to be ‘adequate’ and quite clearly will only ever be a depth player.

The other young players I mentioned have the scope to be way more then just adequate. A few of them have scope to be exceptional.
Except young players don't step in to his role simply. If they did he wouldn't have been needed at all this year.

In the end does it matter what order the delistings are in?
It suggests that Bird was deemed more expendable....which I disagree with.

There is clearly a possibility Merrett stays on the list, pending further decisions. Otherwise he too would have been delisted today. Again, if one was to be considered a possibility to stay on the list, then I would prefer it be Bird.

Unlucky, but understandable decision.

Hope GC or someone else throws him a lifeline. Always put in when called upon and one of the key reasons we showed some semblance of competitiveness in 2016.

Still perplexed he got dropped for that Brisbane game.

A little bit stiff - I always thought Howlett was gone but thought Bird might get another year as depth since he's still not that old.

I think the fact he didn't suggests we really rate some of our younger up and coming midfielders.

Well who's ahead of Bird now and and going to be struggling to get a game? Langford, Laverde and Begley. Then there a few others like Clark that they would probably like to give a game to. We only need so much depth in any one position.

Except young players don't step in to his role simply. If they did he wouldn't have been needed at all this year.

What role? As a bit player at best that’s good for two games a season? We can cover that by giving young players the opportunity, you will be surprised what some of them can do with continuity.

What role? As a bit player at best that’s good for two games a season? We can cover that by giving young players the opportunity, you will be surprised what some of them can do with continuity.
2 games is continuity?

Legitimately all I expected from Craig next year was what he did this year. Excel at VFL level and if needed slot into the side to plug a hole with no concern over his ability to make the transition.

2 games is continuity?

Legitimately all I expected from Craig next year was what he did this year. Excel at VFL level and if needed slot into the side to plug a hole with no concern over his ability to make the transition.
Two games, both in weeks Watson was rested - one was a couple of weeks after the mid-season bye, and the other in about round 20. Not much continuity in that.

Two games, both in weeks Watson was rested - one was a couple of weeks after the mid-season bye, and the other in about round 20. Not much continuity in that.
Exactly.

I'm not saying he gets regular games in front of young players. I'm saying he'd have reprised the "plug gap for a week" role.

That's much better for a player like him then a 1st or 2nd year player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back