Player Watch #24 Dane Rampe

Remove this Banner Ad

eTidRiiY.jpg

Dane Rampe

Player Profile

Dane Rampe was denied at several drafts and didn’t land a spot on an AFL list until the age of 22. But ever since being rookie-listed in November 2012, the key defender has seized his opportunity. Rampe made his AFL debut in Round 1, 2013 and played his 150th match in 2019. He’s an All Australian, an emergency for the greatest NSW team of all time and a Bob Skilton medallist, and he’s led the Swans as a co-captain with Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker since 2019. It doesn’t matter if the opposition’s best forward is a tall or small; so versatile and reliable is Rampe that he’s always assigned to the toughest task in defence. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 37; 2013 AFL draft rookie elevation (Sydney) selection No. 90.

Dane Rampe

DOB: 02 June 1990
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Eastern Suburbs (NSW)/University of NSW (NSW)

Last edited:

Yer on limited time and he form did not warrant a game from all reports
Think the reports on him showed more than what they have on Gould. Also, Gould is behind Aliir and possibly Maibaum in pecking order. I doubt we will see him this year

Like Ling?

From all reports Ling was doing well in the scratch matches as a lock down defended.

Personally don't think he was awful at senior level either, but this is probably a discussion for another thread.

First and foremost, I am not a doctor.

However, this doesn't seem as egregious as playing someone with a soft tissue injury. The medical staff presumably made the call that the fracture was manageable enough to play with and perhaps he gets lucky and doesn't actually exacerbate it for a few weeks.

Obviously the downside is that he reinjures it and is out for the year, but this isn't a hammy or a knee which can be degenerative. His bones will heal and should be good as new in time for next season. I don't think there's any negative impact to his career here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Fox is better suited than Melican to the big key forwards like Hawkins. Brand is a good size and might be available later in the season.

It seems a good opportunity to get a look at Maibaum if he is fit. Even as the third tall defender. But we could also end up playing Mills in a more defensive role as an organiser.

I think fox will be the first tall defender and melican the second tall defender so they can still bring maibaum/gould/aliir or someone else as a third tall.

Reid back and Dawson forward.
And for those that argue against it, ask yourself. Has Reid ever really shone forward? Isn’t it time to see if he can play another role?

Reid back and Dawson forward.
And for those that argue against it, ask yourself. Has Reid ever really shone forward? Isn’t it time to see if he can play another role?
Don't reckon Horse will do it, but I wouldn't mind seeing Reid in Hawkins's back pocket. Say what you will, but he's a big body and generally brings the ball to ground if he doesn't clunk it.

Well so much for no changes this week.

Hard to see us winning many games without him which at least will improve our draft position.

Mills will have to stay back now! Not much of a choice!
I remember when he tripped over the metal chain and was out for six weeks. We couldnt win. A soon as he came back we started winning. He is so crucial to our defence. Almost irreplaceable. He is like two players rolled into one. Can play tall or small. Can lock down and intercept at the same time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back