Player Watch #24 Dane Rampe

eTidRiiY.jpg

Dane Rampe

Player Profile

Dane Rampe was denied at several drafts and didn’t land a spot on an AFL list until the age of 22. But ever since being rookie-listed in November 2012, the key defender has seized his opportunity. Rampe made his AFL debut in Round 1, 2013 and played his 150th match in 2019. He’s an All Australian, an emergency for the greatest NSW team of all time and a Bob Skilton medallist, and he’s led the Swans as a co-captain with Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker since 2019. It doesn’t matter if the opposition’s best forward is a tall or small; so versatile and reliable is Rampe that he’s always assigned to the toughest task in defence. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 37; 2013 AFL draft rookie elevation (Sydney) selection No. 90.

Dane Rampe

DOB: 02 June 1990
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Eastern Suburbs (NSW)/University of NSW (NSW)

Last edited:

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Much more important to our team then I gave him credit for. Don't get me wrong, I've rated him highly for a while now, but he's a real general down back and his loss really showed over the last few weeks.

Great player and every bit an all Australian. Particularly when outsized against opponents, still manages to be extremely effective. Gun!

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
I thought Rampe has been very quiet, from his previous lofty standards, since his return.

We look far more settled down back having him there, but he isn't back to the impact defender he was pre-arm injury

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I thought Rampe has been very quiet, from his previous lofty standards, since his return.

We look far more settled down back having him there, but he isn't back to the impact defender he was pre-arm injury
Was thinking the same thing Thursday night. He missed a lot of footy though so I'm confident he'll improve.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
I watched the Richmond game last night and Rampe's poor game stood out.

2 frees he gave to Richmond in front of Goal. Richmond missed one and kicked the other.

A number of poor disposals

His body language after those looked poor and his face wasn't indicating confidence.

I was expecting he might not come back in best form given his injury and length out but I really he hope he finds near his best again for next week

Sir Dane will come good. That eight week stretch was his first stint on the sidelines since his debut in 2013. When you have such consistency and then it's suddenly interrupted, you can lose your rhythm. Hopefully he returns to his best sooner rather than later though... we really miss having the biggest legend in the history of the SMFC/SS winning games for us

Grongey

Cancelled
Jan 8, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Had a stinker against Richmond, and might think about giving it off to the first option, instead of dithering about, burning his team mates.

But to be fair to Dane, he's coming back from an injury layoff, it takes time.

ashep

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Just working his way back into it. When you play up forward or even in the midfield you can come in after a layoff and play with a little freedom. You need to be more disciplined down back and feel for the game is really important.

He hasn't forgotten how to play and his best won't be too far away.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
I like Laidler :(
I like Laids as well. Actually a little torn with him but the game has become a fast one & I think being quick off the mark is not one of his strengths but his intercepting is elite. Wouldn't be unhappy to see him come in but it won't be for Rampe unless he trips over another chain or something.

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
This was Rampe getting back to his best against Melbourne.

He has looked a bit out of sorts since his return from the broken arm but last night he returned almost to his best.

Carry on Sir!
Probably the biggest positive for me besides the result.

From very early on you could tell he was moving with that flair and confidence he had last year.

Back