Player Watch #24 Dane Rampe

Remove this Banner Ad

eTidRiiY.jpg

Dane Rampe

Player Profile

Dane Rampe was denied at several drafts and didn’t land a spot on an AFL list until the age of 22. But ever since being rookie-listed in November 2012, the key defender has seized his opportunity. Rampe made his AFL debut in Round 1, 2013 and played his 150th match in 2019. He’s an All Australian, an emergency for the greatest NSW team of all time and a Bob Skilton medallist, and he’s led the Swans as a co-captain with Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker since 2019. It doesn’t matter if the opposition’s best forward is a tall or small; so versatile and reliable is Rampe that he’s always assigned to the toughest task in defence. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 37; 2013 AFL draft rookie elevation (Sydney) selection No. 90.

Dane Rampe

DOB: 02 June 1990
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Eastern Suburbs (NSW)/University of NSW (NSW)

Last edited:
Love watching rampes play. Very quick witted. Had no idea what the big freeze is though. I gather beyond training and playing, footy is a minor aspect of his life
I think it was more the way BT said it. "Horse is going down the slide" wasn't exactly easy to figure out initially I don't reckon.

Best game for the year, I reckon. Felt like this was the first time he was back to his rebounding best, in addition to his defence

It's hard because Brown was still good and kicked 4 but it felt like there wasn't much Rampe could do for them. Probably a combination of Brown being that good and the service he was getting being that good. And a terrible decision for his first goal which should never have been a free against. Rampe made some great defensive plays on him still and his rebounding got us out of trouble a lot.

Best game for the year, I reckon. Felt like this was the first time he was back to his rebounding best, in addition to his defence

Agree with this, after watching the replay of the game his last ten minutes were perfect. When we were down a goal and he had the kick in loved how he played on and then bombed it 60 metres straight down the guts, Knows when to take the game on. His forward 50 entries in the final minutes set up the last two goals with his long bombs to the danger spot at the top of the square. With conceding some goals to Brown no one can really blame him, Brown is pretty much ruckman size and Rampe can play small defender at times.

Last edited:
Sir Dane was outstanding this week and really only should have had two goals kicked against him because the umps had their heads up Brown's arse.

His best game of the year for me and I think he can be even better once he has Grundy in to take care of more one-on-ones.

I see our back-line as Grundy the contested defender, Aliir the rebounding defender, and Sir Dane the hybrid of the two.

Imagine if he played against forwards than were his size and not people he gives away weight and height too every week
Couldn't agree more. I feel like he's not being used at all to his potential. It reminds me of how the Swans took Leo Barry, all Australian HBF and an excellent (if sometimes terrifying) rebounder of the ball, and turned him into an adequate key defender. Just because he CAN play on taller players doesn't mean he SHOULD!

Really good game from Rampe last night, beat Stephenson easily and helped the rest of defence out a lot.

I'd love to see him play this role more consistently, but Longmire trusts Rampe more than anyone to play on the best tall forwards. Perhaps in the next few years Melican can be ushered into that role (or Darcy Moore, who knows) so Rampe can play on smaller guys more his size and play off them to help his fellow defenders more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really good game from Rampe last night, beat Stephenson easily and helped the rest of defence out a lot.

I'd love to see him play this role more consistently, but Longmire trusts Rampe more than anyone to play on the best tall forwards. Perhaps in the next few years Melican can be ushered into that role (or Darcy Moore, who knows) so Rampe can play on smaller guys more his size and play off them to help his fellow defenders more.
A richmond poster was showing stats for one on ones, intercepts etc. I think Rampes numbers were very comparable to Rance and although Rampes been a bit up and down this season I'd say he is a key player. The issue is because statistically he is apparently such a great one on one defender, its difficult to play him spare and to not use his key asset. I'm also not sure Rampe plays people his size better necessarily as playing against Gunston or Riewoldt doesnt then give him more of an advantage. I feel like he plays the big boys better than Gunston/Riewoldt types due to their agility. He tends to able to run off the big boys much easier and free himself up a bit. Either way would be great to get Melican back. Probably a much bigger loss than we realise especially with Grundy out.

I remember when Rampe first started out thinking i couldnt wait for AJ to return and free Rampe up a bit, seems like so long ago.

Could be a good quad group Aliir, Rampe, Johnson, Mellican

stop giving away stupid frees at the start of games rampe. very costly.

Everyone has been saying that we need more help in the middle.
Yes rampe is real important down back which i agree.
Lets say we get moore next season and stays fit.
Starters down back
Smith.alir alir. Melican ( rampe role)
Mcveigh. moore. Jones
Now rampe is a big body athletic tackle busting footballer.
Has a great penetrating boot. Great in contested situations. Good fend off. Good quick hands. Decision making usually good. Has great legs speed for a 189cm 95 odd kg frame. Excellent endurance. Always gives hes all.
Isnt this what you want around the ball.
Rampe can get the fumbles when ball rolling around the ground, which will need some attention in pre season.
I have been wanting this for a while now... finally saw it in the last 5 minutes of that terrible performace yesterday against giants.
With the likes of mills (mills & jones to spend time in the middle also), grundy, lloyd. Ling. Stoddard. AJ. That irish fella o'ruden. newman etc. Also playing down back and depth players in position. Surely we can have the gamble of getting rampe to trial at least through the middle.
Clearly our fowards and midfield needs improvement. There has been alot of comments about parker. Heeney. Hewett and co just does not giving JPK enough support.
Yes we need to bring some in. But i think we have 1 person that can have immediate impact being rampe.
Whats are some other comments people have on the subject.

Everyone has been saying that we need more help in the middle.
Yes rampe is real important down back which i agree.
Lets say we get moore next season and stays fit.
Starters down back
Smith.alir alir. Melican ( rampe role)
Mcveigh. moore. Jones
Now rampe is a big body athletic tackle busting footballer.
Has a great penetrating boot. Great in contested situations. Good fend off. Good quick hands. Decision making usually good. Has great legs speed for a 189cm 95 odd kg frame. Excellent endurance. Always gives hes all.
Isnt this what you want around the ball.
Rampe can get the fumbles when ball rolling around the ground, which will need some attention in pre season.
I have been wanting this for a while now... finally saw it in the last 5 minutes of that terrible performace yesterday against giants.
With the likes of mills (mills & jones to spend time in the middle also), grundy, lloyd. Ling. Stoddard. AJ. That irish fella o'ruden. newman etc. Also playing down back and depth players in position. Surely we can have the gamble of getting rampe to trial at least through the middle.
Clearly our fowards and midfield needs improvement. There has been alot of comments about parker. Heeney. Hewett and co just does not giving JPK enough support.
Yes we need to bring some in. But i think we have 1 person that can have immediate impact being rampe.
Whats are some other comments people have on the subject.
You don't mess with something that's working fine because then you have to fix two positions.

He'd wanna go back to 2013-2016 version of Sir Dane because the one we've seen the last two years is a rushed turnover merchant.

But it won't happen, Horse would not take an All Australian defender and make him a midfielder (but he would take small forwards out of the forward line - he's a make-a-hole-by-plugging-a-hole type of guy)

Rampe himself flagged this before the 2015 season: http://m.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2015-03-19/rampe-sets-sight-on-midfield

I might be wrong, but I think that year he did go into the centre square a couple of times to give a bit more grunt in the clearances, but it was rather rare. I quite like the idea though.

The biggest argument against it is that it's robbing Peter to pay Paul. But I'd counter that his effectiveness has been curbed this year in particular ever since Clarko and Gil's infamous coffee date. He's getting penalised on a regular basis for his tactics of defending against the taller forwards and no doubt it's taken a hit on his confidence.

But finally, a counter-counter. With the likely phasing out of McVeigh and Grundy next year, it would seem pretty foolish to move Rampe out of the back 6 as well. One of the most important things is having structures and leaders to enforce those structures and if you watch Rampe closely throughout the game, he is the main one responsible for how well organised we are down back (despite the intense pressure of all those inside 50s the midfield allows).

So... I'd like to see it, but I don't think we will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back