Player Watch #24 Dane Rampe

Remove this Banner Ad

eTidRiiY.jpg

Dane Rampe

Player Profile

Dane Rampe was denied at several drafts and didn’t land a spot on an AFL list until the age of 22. But ever since being rookie-listed in November 2012, the key defender has seized his opportunity. Rampe made his AFL debut in Round 1, 2013 and played his 150th match in 2019. He’s an All Australian, an emergency for the greatest NSW team of all time and a Bob Skilton medallist, and he’s led the Swans as a co-captain with Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker since 2019. It doesn’t matter if the opposition’s best forward is a tall or small; so versatile and reliable is Rampe that he’s always assigned to the toughest task in defence. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 37; 2013 AFL draft rookie elevation (Sydney) selection No. 90.

Dane Rampe

DOB: 02 June 1990
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Eastern Suburbs (NSW)/University of NSW (NSW)

Last edited:
Good idea. Doubt it will be given a go.

For some obscure reason, we are after two defenders in Moore and Jonas. This reflects the .Mule's preference for 8 in defence.

I personally think it reflects wanting the defence to become self reliant so our mids don’t have to play as defensively to cover for their difficulty in handling fast ball movement into defensive 50. Has been a weakness for us for years.

Edit: this has flow on effects of all our players pushing up, reducing the players available in our forward line. Not as simple as mids=bad for me

Someone posted a contrast between Martin's little time this year in D50. By contrast Heeney and Parker spend too much time there. Even Ollie has had to hang back.

We need a foot and branch review of the coaching box, the unfitness staff and the playing list.

Someone posted a contrast between Martin's little time this year in D50. By contrast Heeney and Parker spend too much time there. Even Ollie has had to hang back.

We need a foot and branch review of the coaching box, the unfitness staff and the playing list.

Agree. This is what I mean by sureing up the defence so they don’t need as much midfield support, players push back forward of the defence and we get better movement across the ground.

I personally think it reflects wanting the defence to become self reliant so our mids don’t have to play as defensively to cover for their difficulty in handling fast ball movement into defensive 50. Has been a weakness for us for years.

Edit: this has flow on effects of all our players pushing up, reducing the players available in our forward line. Not as simple as mids=bad for me

Wasn't there a stat around last year that our back 6 had gone from the best at winning 1-on-1's to the worst?

Where has this 'Rampe was poor this year' stuff come from?

Stats aren't everything but looking at his CD profile, he was pretty much the same player as last year.

2016 was a clear peak that will be very tough to repeat.

Where has this 'Rampe was poor this year' stuff come from?

Stats aren't everything but looking at his CD profile, he was pretty much the same player as last year.

2016 was a clear peak that will be very tough to repeat.

I think he's been poor the last two years actually. Not just by his standards but in general. Gone from one of my favourite players to watch to one of the most cringeworthy. Not writing him off though, he's a great player and a great athlete, he can find his best again just a long way off it on recent form.

After the Gil-Clarkson coffee catchup and umpires paying illegal defending/blocking, Dane seemed to lose his confidence. His game seemed to drop off since then.

I think he's been poor the last two years actually. Not just by his standards but in general. Gone from one of my favourite players to watch to one of the most cringeworthy. Not writing him off though, he's a great player and a great athlete, he can find his best again just a long way off it on recent form.
He is a victim of the faster ball movement into their attacking 50 by opposition teams. He has been consistently played on bigger forwards. Opposition coaches are awake up and have consistently dragged him back onto the last defensive line. Longmire simply refuses/refused to adapt. A good example was leaving him on Dangerfield when Geelong put him at full forward. Longmire left him one out without anyone standing five metres in front of Dangerfield. Jesus John Rampe is NOT a full back FFS. Longmire has stubbornly refused to adapt Rampe to counter Rampe opposition tactics. Rampe was an AA defender so of course the opposition will counteract him.The problem was Longmire refusing to play him further up the ground in response and yes leaving Aliir in the reserves. The new rule will hopefully force Longmire to change his use of Rampe. Necessity being the mother of invention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 years at 28 when he looked like he was starting to struggle a little/be umpired out

too long
Ramps was struggling because he was constantly asked to play on players too big for him. Got picked up late so isn't as banged up as a Hannebery type, still has his speed, marks well, hard to tackle, makes good decisions and organises the defence (pretty important post-Grundy). I think that we'll get 3 years of good service out of him (probably at a decent price too).

Ramps was struggling because he was constantly asked to play on players too big for him. Got picked up late so isn't as banged up as a Hannebery type, still has his speed, marks well, hard to tackle, makes good decisions and organises the defence (pretty important post-Grundy). I think that we'll get 3 years of good service out of him (probably at a decent price too).

I’m his biggest fan but can we please drop the charade that Sir Dane was down on form because he was asked to play on bigger blokes already... I believe that’s a contributing factor, but for the most part I think he’s just lost a bit of his footy IQ a little, that natural instinct since he broke his arm in 2017. That time on the sidelines interrupted a previously solid run of form for him going back to his debut in 2013 where he steadily built his game and gained more confidence with each year. Then when he was thrust back into it I noticed almost immediately that he wasn’t playing as confidently. Rushing to dispose of it, inviting pressure from his opponent where he once would be riskier and try to evade it, bombing it out into space where he used to be more willing to take the bold option and pinpoint a direct target. These are just the hallmarks of what elevated him from good player to gun player and they’ve been missing for me.

But then some still say he’s as good as ever, so who am I to say they’re wrong. Guess we all see things differently

The great man has activated God mode in his first duty as captain:

That moustache makes him very difficult to take seriously.

Well spoken though.

Are ya kidding? He's my girlfriend's hall pass for good reason
He'd be my hallpass too, if I wasn't old enough to be his mother :'(

Brilliant speech, love that he touched on so many defining moments in our history. I think our captaincy set up this year is going to be outstanding.

Dane seems to have the balls to just come out and say it as he sees it.

Clarko coffee dates.
Trade bans.
The disgusting end to Goodesys career.

He'll make sure he makes his point clear yet without fear of judgement.

I had my doubts about him early... thought he'd be a bit of a "lad" & not take things too seriously... Man was I wrong.

Brilliant choice as a leader IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back