Player Watch #24 Dane Rampe

Remove this Banner Ad

eTidRiiY.jpg

Dane Rampe

Player Profile

Dane Rampe was denied at several drafts and didn’t land a spot on an AFL list until the age of 22. But ever since being rookie-listed in November 2012, the key defender has seized his opportunity. Rampe made his AFL debut in Round 1, 2013 and played his 150th match in 2019. He’s an All Australian, an emergency for the greatest NSW team of all time and a Bob Skilton medallist, and he’s led the Swans as a co-captain with Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker since 2019. It doesn’t matter if the opposition’s best forward is a tall or small; so versatile and reliable is Rampe that he’s always assigned to the toughest task in defence. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 37; 2013 AFL draft rookie elevation (Sydney) selection No. 90.

Dane Rampe

DOB: 02 June 1990
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Eastern Suburbs (NSW)/University of NSW (NSW)

Last edited:
You are all forgetting that they are trying to make this a family game, directing it at women and girls too. So to a young girl, that comment is not funny at all.

In addition, all of you must surely be aware of the discrimination legislation surrounding workplaces, broadcasting and advertising? Still thinking it's funny?

Rampe should apologise.
Settle down.

This lacks context.

Rampe has just been pinged massively unfairly. Called play on prematurely and was tackled when he thought he was still in control of his free kick.

Umpire: “I called it three times”
Ramps: “But you talk like a little girl”

It’s not misogyny, the point he’s making was the umpire should have spoken louder. More authoritatively. Typically male traits.

Interesting debate. First and foremost his role in the win was critical.

He is clearly an eccentric person. Sometimes he can be bloody funny.

After Snarko's infamous coffee with Gil and subsequent repeated penalties against Ramps and Reg he referenced the coffee to an ump after copping another penalty. His comment was picked up on air. It was both apt and funny.

I wondered whether the little girl comment was prompted by Ramps not hearing the ump. That is he was urging him to be louder and clearer in his instructions. Still not right but sort of understandable if that was the case.

As for doing his Edmond Hillary impersonation, it was a brain fade. As the old song goes, Chain, chain, chain, Chain of Ramps.

Interesting debate. First and foremost his role in the win was critical.

He is clearly an eccentric person. Sometimes he can be bloody funny.

After Snarko's infamous coffee with Gil and subsequent repeated penalties against Ramps and Reg he referenced the coffee to an ump after copping another penalty. His comment was picked up on air. It was both apt and funny.

I wondered whether the little girl comment was prompted by Ramps not hearing the ump. That is he was urging him to be louder and clearer in his instructions. Still not right but sort of understandable if that was the case.

As for doing his Edmond Hillary impersonation, it was a brain fade. As the old song goes, Chain, chain, chain, Chain of Ramps.

Yeh I think this is what happened. Just before he made the little girl comment he said something to the effect of "how am I meant to hear you", suggesting with the crowd noise he wasn't able to hear the umpire say play on.

The little girl comment was funny as **** and the goal post incident is seen at dozens of local matches around the country on a weekly basis.

Lighten up folks, this guy brings the entertainment value and backs it up with his footy.
I have never once seen a player climb the goal posts. Ever. What local matches are you going to haha?

Settle down.

This lacks context.

Rampe has just been pinged massively unfairly. Called play on prematurely and was tackled when he thought he was still in control of his free kick.

It’s not misogyny, the point he’s making was the umpire should have spoken louder. More authoritatively. Typically male traits.
Spot on

Some of the umps need a voice magnifier.

Settle down.

This lacks context.

I never said anything about misogyny... I completely understand Rampe's issue with the umpire, and believe that he had a right as captain to call him on it. I even believe he was in the right, as we never heard anything over the mikes either... and although he may have raised his arms signalling play on, he was outside Rampe's vision.

His intention is not the issue here, he was insulting and discriminatory against little girls. He should apologise.

Without knowing the context, I thought it was just petulance and not called for at all. Hearing the context, I get what he was saying and totally understand the point he was making, but would definitely want him to say it a bit differently next time.

"Your voice sounds like a girls"

Amusing as it sounds at the time he is our captain and should be holding himself to a higher standard that he doesn't need to resort to that.
PFFT! Nothing wrong with that at all. And I have 4 children so I do know a thing or two. It was funny. The real crux of the issue is....

THE ******* UMPIRES SHOULD NOT BE MIKED UP!!!!

Its all laughs and good sportsmanship when an umpire has a bit of banter with a player. Goes both ways if you mike the umps.

You are all forgetting that they are trying to make this a family game, directing it at women and girls too. So to a young girl, that comment is not funny at all.

In addition, all of you must surely be aware of the discrimination legislation surrounding workplaces, broadcasting and advertising? Still thinking it's funny?

Rampe should apologise.
Yeah I do think it was funny. So does my seven year old little girl. My five year old, unfortunately isn't interested in footy yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As captain, and a defender, Rampe should be more civil to the umps, and less smart aleky..they have long memories
Ban this guy for calling the umps elephants please!

As silly as the above statement sounsds, same argument as those opposing Rampe's comments when you look at it.

N O N I S S U E - Bedders should understand this acronym

PFFT! Nothing wrong with that at all. And I have 4 children so I do know a thing or two. It was funny. The real crux of the issue is....

THE ******* UMPIRES SHOULD NOT BE MIKED UP!!!!

Its all laughs and good sportsmanship when an umpire has a bit of banter with a player. Goes both ways if you mike the umps.
So it would be ok if the ump replied and called Rampe a moron? Which wouldn't be defamatory by the way. The umpires are miked up to help us, the supporters understand their rulings. So because of a smart arse idiot that is closed down.

I love Rampes banter with umpires.. He's correct too, there's no mens men umpiring these days! The coffee with Clarko line was another good one.. Stop shooting down personalities people.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/05/11/rampe-not-charged-by-mro-for-post-climb/

Clearly the powers that be have accepted the defense. Our zany skipper went up a gaol post during a critical period of an AFL game, in front of tens of thousands of people because he is certifiably insane. Good defense

I appreciate Rampe for the player he is For Us. I like him because he is a Swans Player & I like all Swans players even the ones who I Spray but make no mistake Rampe screams ****head who is pretty impressed by himself and his own perceived intellect. That was revealed for all and sundrie to see on Saturday Night.:rolleyes:

I appreciate Rampe for the player he is For Us. I like him because he is a Swans Player & I like all Swans players even the ones who I Spray but make no mistake Rampe screams ****head who is pretty impressed by himself and his own perceived intellect. That was revealed for all and sundrie to see on Saturday Night.:rolleyes:

You should meet him before making bold statements.

Clearly the powers that be have accepted the defense. Our zany skipper went up a gaol post during a critical period of an AFL game, in front of tens of thousands of people because he is certifiably insane. Good defense

From anyone else I might consider this a typo, but from your comments in this thread, I’m feeling it was more of a Freudian slip?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back