Player Watch #24 Dane Rampe

eTidRiiY.jpg

Dane Rampe

Player Profile

Dane Rampe was denied at several drafts and didn’t land a spot on an AFL list until the age of 22. But ever since being rookie-listed in November 2012, the key defender has seized his opportunity. Rampe made his AFL debut in Round 1, 2013 and played his 150th match in 2019. He’s an All Australian, an emergency for the greatest NSW team of all time and a Bob Skilton medallist, and he’s led the Swans as a co-captain with Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker since 2019. It doesn’t matter if the opposition’s best forward is a tall or small; so versatile and reliable is Rampe that he’s always assigned to the toughest task in defence. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 37; 2013 AFL draft rookie elevation (Sydney) selection No. 90.

Dane Rampe

DOB: 02 June 1990
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Eastern Suburbs (NSW)/University of NSW (NSW)

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2008
Leeds/'Berra/Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/05/11/rampe-not-charged-by-mro-for-post-climb/

Clearly the powers that be have accepted the defense. Our zany skipper went up a gaol post during a critical period of an AFL game, in front of tens of thousands of people because he is certifiably insane. Good defense

Or alternatively, he went up the goal post to improve his ability to spoil the ball on the goal line.

Seriously, it’s not that hard to understand. It was stupid and unnecessary, no question, but for once the umpires actually ruled practically and appropriately. But you seem too invested in hating on Rampe to care about that.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC
Or alternatively, he went up the goal post to improve his ability to spoil the ball on the goal line.

Seriously, it’s not that hard to understand. It was stupid and unnecessary, no question, but for once the umpires actually ruled practically and appropriately. But you seem too invested in hating on Rampe to care about that.

I don't hate Rampe. I think he is a very good footballer. But he shouldn't be a captain off a great club. I tell you what I care about and thanks for asking champ I happen to believe that being captain of the Bloods should mean something in terms of sportsmanship and intelligence. Of course Skilton, Herbie Mathews and Ronnie Clegg climbed up goal posts to touch the ball (an act of sheer infantile stupidity). We are a better club than having a mug as a captain.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Glad one went our way & against a notorious cheating team.

It's not like Ramps is the first player to have done it.
Have a look at the list at the bottom of this article. Was a free kick awarded for any of these other incidents? I don't actually know but I am interested in the answer if anyone can remember them.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-13/please-explain-dane-afl-seeks-answers-over-rampes-antics
I vaguely remember Loewe's effort but cant remember if he was free kicked. Wheildon escaped a free kick because he shook the post while a teammate was shooting for goal. Old Bloods might remember Wheildon when he kicked eight against us and Minton-Connell kicked seven for us on the same day. He took a mark down the City end and went over the fence and fell on his head. Needless to say there was no need for a concussion test. Rampe is in good company because Wheildon was a complete goose. His coach Robert Shaw described him as an "entertainer." I am staggered they didn't make him captain of Fitzroy.
The South Melbourne player Arthur Hando was famous for something else apart from shaking goal posts. It is said that before he was selected to play for South while playing for Brighton he kicked a ball out of the ground that went through a train window. It was claimed to be the longest kick in history because it travelled from Brighton to Flinders Street railway station. Footies weren't returned in the old days. Just an old South folk story and I am not giving it any credence. Good trivial pursuit question.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
From everything I've seen of Rampe in his career to this point, and particularly this year, I'm delighted he's one of our captains. He cares passionately about the team, he encourages his teammates more than almost any other captain I've seen at the Swans, he instructs out on the ground like a good captain should and he's very good at expressing himself to the media. Plus being a rookie-listed, home-grown story, it's great for the club. A true Sydney boy (not just a NSW boy) going the long way to become a captain of the Swans.

He might be a little too comfortable with his comments to umpires and his goal post antics, but I think there more a sign of him showing his personality than anything about his unsuitability to be captain. He should probably be told to pull his head in a little by Longmire, but I'm very pleased with how he has been as captain so far.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
From anyone else I might consider this a typo, but from your comments in this thread, I’m feeling it was more of a Freudian slip?
Well caught in the slips mate. A typo but I toyed with the disreputable idea of claiming a pun. And I am too old for anything Freudian, slips or otherwise.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Due to Teds question I did research the Fletcher goal post shaking. It was not free kicked due to Sinclair kicking the goal. For the goal shaking aficionados the Fletcher offense is at 1.27.00. Unlike our hero it was performed in a typically underhand fashion by the cheats.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Due to Teds question I did research the Fletcher goal post shaking. It was not free kicked due to Sinclair kicking the goal. For the goal shaking aficionados the Fletcher offense is at 1.27.00. Unlike our hero it was performed in a typically underhand fashion by the cheats.

I wonder what Timmy Watson had to say about that one ...

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I appreciate Rampe for the player he is For Us. I like him because he is a Swans Player & I like all Swans players even the ones who I Spray but make no mistake Rampe screams ****head who is pretty impressed by himself and his own perceived intellect. That was revealed for all and sundrie to see on Saturday Night.:rolleyes:

Definitely a couple of ‘LOL-norf’s’ loose in the top paddock!

Last edited:

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Has apologised for the two incidents on Swans TV.

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
I hope he wore the Rampe robe.

Much as I love the player, and a little part of me thinks the goalpost-elevated mark could be an exciting new feature of our game, he should've been swabbed.
Just a brain fade. I would think otherwise if we lost because of it.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
I vaguely remember Loewe's effort but cant remember if he was free kicked. Wheildon escaped a free kick because he shook the post while a teammate was shooting for goal. Old Bloods might remember Wheildon when he kicked eight against us and Minton-Connell kicked seven for us on the same day. He took a mark down the City end and went over the fence and fell on his head. Needless to say there was no need for a concussion test. Rampe is in good company because Wheildon was a complete goose. His coach Robert Shaw described him as an "entertainer." I am staggered they didn't make him captain of Fitzroy.
The South Melbourne player Arthur Hando was famous for something else apart from shaking goal posts. It is said that before he was selected to play for South while playing for Brighton he kicked a ball out of the ground that went through a train window. It was claimed to be the longest kick in history because it travelled from Brighton to Flinders Street railway station. Footies weren't returned in the old days. Just an old South folk story and I am not giving it any credence. Good trivial pursuit question.

Good stuff connolly. Good read!:)

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
The Vic media feasting on it like they really should have after the 2016 GF umpiring.
But hey, that's what you get down here when you steal something from a foundation club.
I say f o r k them because the umps deserve a sh .t load more than that for donating the p'sip cup to the West.
I started off the day thinking Ramps was foolish but after listening to talk back today with the final straw being Andy Maher's continuous screams of blue murder all through his program, I now applaud Ramps because of the biased squealing he has flushed out among the same few idiots on radio.
At least Whateley assessed it fairly.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
The Vic media feasting on it like they really should have after the 2016 GF umpiring.
But hey, that's what you get down here when you steal something from a foundation club.
I say f o r k them because the umps deserve a sh .t load more than that for donating the p'sip cup to the West.
I started off the day thinking Ramps was foolish but after listening to talk back today with the final straw being Andy Maher's continuous screams of blue murder all through his program, I now applaud Ramps because of the biased squealing he has flushed out among the same few idiots on radio.
At least Whateley assessed it fairly.

I agree about the bias Ted and If I could have jumped through my Television Saturday night Hamish was right in line for one on the Vera Lynn. Having said that could somebody tell Rampe what is ok in the Under 11's doesn't quite wash at this Level. Ratbag.

Kapanis

Cancelled
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Rampe having to apologise for saying to the umpire you talk like a girl was the most cringiest thing i have seen on television.

I could a quote a hell of a lot worse TBH, that dickhead Clive Palmer for one.

Back