Player Watch #24 Dane Rampe

Remove this Banner Ad

eTidRiiY.jpg

Dane Rampe

Player Profile

Dane Rampe was denied at several drafts and didn’t land a spot on an AFL list until the age of 22. But ever since being rookie-listed in November 2012, the key defender has seized his opportunity. Rampe made his AFL debut in Round 1, 2013 and played his 150th match in 2019. He’s an All Australian, an emergency for the greatest NSW team of all time and a Bob Skilton medallist, and he’s led the Swans as a co-captain with Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker since 2019. It doesn’t matter if the opposition’s best forward is a tall or small; so versatile and reliable is Rampe that he’s always assigned to the toughest task in defence. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 37; 2013 AFL draft rookie elevation (Sydney) selection No. 90.

Dane Rampe

DOB: 02 June 1990
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Eastern Suburbs (NSW)/University of NSW (NSW)

Last edited:
Rampe is known for his spoils and tackles but I'd forgotten Rampe's marking.
Love is ability to regain his balance his beautiful kicking
Nice compilation

Rampe is known for his spoils and tackles but I'd forgotten Rampe's marking.
Love is ability to regain his balance his beautiful kicking
Nice compilation

Damn!! He's so good! You've just gotta love him!!! :sparklingheart::sparklingheart::sparklingheart: :largeredcircle::mwcirlce::largeredcircle::mwcirlce:

For those who are lucky to be at the game today, please cheer Rampe and huge applause to Reg at half time for me.

Should be AA, having an utterly sublime year down back.

Probably won’t be.

Probably will be I reckon. Who are the other key defenders dominating discussion?

Rance is out but they'll still vote him into the team, Rampe for the other spot.

Probably will be I reckon. Who are the other key defenders dominating discussion?

Rance is out but they'll still vote him into the team, Rampe for the other spot.

It's amazing how the AA defence has become so dominated by players who don't play on the best forwards now too. Rampe does it every week, regardless of the size of the forward in question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I won't be surprised if he misses out to be honest. His last month was still good without being excellent and the likes of Nick Haynes and Dylan Grimes have won a lot of plaudits lately and I suspect they'll be competing for his spot. Plus those weeks of the goalpost, the 50m he gave away against Collingwood legitimately have taken attention away from how good he has been this year. Wouldn't surprise me if that costs him in the end.

I think he should certainly be in the 22 though. There's no player who can play on every forward in the competition to the level that Rampe can. Grimes is the only one who competes with him in that respect (I think Grimes will definitely make it). But the selectors have missed deserving Swans in the past (see Josh Kennedy inexplicably missing selection in 2017).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back