Player Watch #24 Dane Rampe

Remove this Banner Ad

eTidRiiY.jpg

Dane Rampe

Player Profile

Dane Rampe was denied at several drafts and didn’t land a spot on an AFL list until the age of 22. But ever since being rookie-listed in November 2012, the key defender has seized his opportunity. Rampe made his AFL debut in Round 1, 2013 and played his 150th match in 2019. He’s an All Australian, an emergency for the greatest NSW team of all time and a Bob Skilton medallist, and he’s led the Swans as a co-captain with Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker since 2019. It doesn’t matter if the opposition’s best forward is a tall or small; so versatile and reliable is Rampe that he’s always assigned to the toughest task in defence. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 37; 2013 AFL draft rookie elevation (Sydney) selection No. 90.

Dane Rampe

DOB: 02 June 1990
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Eastern Suburbs (NSW)/University of NSW (NSW)

Last edited:
Rampe robbed of an AA spot
I kid you not, he didn't get in because he had a controversial few games & they didn't give him any benefit of doubt.

If lined up along a wall, school days style & teams were being picked, without a doubt in the world he would be one of the first 4 picked, such is his ability to play tall & small & attacking from the backline.
But there are plenty other hard luck stories. He did himself no favours climbing the post.

The goal post saga shouldn't have factored into the decision and if it did it is a disgrace.

We finished with a percentage of 98 which means we were competitive for almost every game. Without Ramps, I'd daresay that would be around 80 to 85. He was THAT good.

IMO, his non-selection is a disgrace nonetheless, and is on par with JPKs AA omission in 2017 and 2016 Norm Smith oversight. But not surprising given the Vic bias in the AFL. Yet another reason i will probably tune out of the finals series.

He had back to back games where his over exuberance at the end could have potentially cost us the 4 points.
Other than that, a bit stiff maybe. The competition for spots is pretty fierce. Tom Stewart had a great year. I have no problem with his selection. And you couldn't possibly leave Grimes out of the team. The one I would have dropped for Rampe is McGovern, but he is a bit of freak and I'm a swans fan.
Dunno how Haynes missed out either.

He had back to back games where his over exuberance at the end could have potentially cost us the 4 points.
Other than that, a bit stiff maybe. The competition for spots is pretty fierce. Tom Stewart had a great year. I have no problem with his selection. And you couldn't possibly leave Grimes out of the team. The one I would have dropped for Rampe is McGovern, but he is a bit of freak and I'm a swans fan.
Dunno how Haynes missed out either.

Haynes missed a portion of football that probably came into it.

Got drop a few times the year of debut

Only missed round 2 and 3 and i cant rememner if he was dropped, presume so, but played the rest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems madness to play him five days after an operation, it's not like it's a PF or GF. He was clearly distressed, the St Kilda coaches would be instructing the midfield to bomb it in high so he had to spoil. He's too valuable to us to risk further injury, and it's a good time to see if someone like Maibaum is up to it.

It seems madness to play him five days after an operation, it's not like it's a PF or GF. He was clearly distressed, the St Kilda coaches would be instructing the midfield to bomb it in high so he had to spoil. He's too valuable to us to risk further injury, and it's a good time to see if someone like Maibaum is up to it.

King, Membrey and one of Ryder/ Marshall resting up forward... With the likes of Gresham (who I seriously rate) and Butler at their feet?

I think they should be instructing they midfield to bomb it regardless of if Rampe is playing. (And I think he should be rested)

Best defender in the competition over the last five years. End of discussion, close the thread.
Glad you aren't a mod when there is Rampe news

Rampe not being AA last year was truly outrageous.

You get used to it as a Swans supporter.

(Rampe last year)
(JPK in 2017)
(Reg in 2016)
(Parker in 2014)

Swans need to learn to take blood thinners and then duck their way through games if they want All Australian honours.

2 questions

1- has rampe actually ever been dropped? i dont remember him not being selected when fit

2- has he ever played a bad game? hard to remember one

star
I'm an early game against the Hawks I remember them trying to isolate him deep in defence because he wasn't great one on one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back