Player Watch - #24 Dane Rampe - signed 3 year contract extension | Page 3 | BigFooty

Player Watch #24 Dane Rampe - signed 3 year contract extension

Discussion in 'Sydney' started by scaryness, May 18, 2017.

1. GotTheGoodes

GotTheGoodes Bloods

Sydney
    I think it was more the way BT said it. "Horse is going down the slide" wasn't exactly easy to figure out initially I don't reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Jewelsbon

Jewelsbon Club Legend

Sydney
    :tearsofjoy::thumbsupemoji::tearsofjoy::thumbsupemoji::tearsofjoy:

SwansProudly likes this.
  3. discomute

discomute Team Captain

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Australian Boomers
    I believe it was Rampe who called over our trainers when he saw how bad Tuner was. Rampe = absolute legend. Class act.

4. Mick Oxlong

Mick Oxlong Norm Smith Medallist

Sydney
    It was.

Punts and discomute like this.
  5. J_Moore

J_Moore Norm Smith Medallist

Sydney
    Best game for the year, I reckon. Felt like this was the first time he was back to his rebounding best, in addition to his defence

MF, caesar88, 6yearsold and 5 others like this.
  6. S120

S120 Norm Smith Medallist

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Wallabies
    It's hard because Brown was still good and kicked 4 but it felt like there wasn't much Rampe could do for them. Probably a combination of Brown being that good and the service he was getting being that good. And a terrible decision for his first goal which should never have been a free against. Rampe made some great defensive plays on him still and his rebounding got us out of trouble a lot.

Skystyler and SwansProudly like this.
  7. The King!

The King! Supervisor

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Cavs, Redsox, Patriots
    Where’s his special title?

8. SMFC1

SMFC1 Debutant

Sydney
    Agree with this, after watching the replay of the game his last ten minutes were perfect. When we were down a goal and he had the kick in loved how he played on and then bombed it 60 metres straight down the guts, Knows when to take the game on. His forward 50 entries in the final minutes set up the last two goals with his long bombs to the danger spot at the top of the square. With conceding some goals to Brown no one can really blame him, Brown is pretty much ruckman size and Rampe can play small defender at times.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    BloodySwan, SwansProudly and Kirkswan like this.
  9. Skystyler

Skystyler Club Legend

Sydney
    that was a great mark he took against Brown in the 1st qtr. Still can't believe the ump pinged him for winning the battle of strength. I guarantee you if the roles were reversed the whistle would not have been blown.

10. caesar88

caesar88 Norm Smith Medallist

Sydney
    Sir Dane was outstanding this week and really only should have had two goals kicked against him because the umps had their heads up Brown's arse.

His best game of the year for me and I think he can be even better once he has Grundy in to take care of more one-on-ones.

I see our back-line as Grundy the contested defender, Aliir the rebounding defender, and Sir Dane the hybrid of the two.

SwansProudly likes this.
  11. The King!

The King! Supervisor

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Cavs, Redsox, Patriots
    Imagine if he played against forwards than were his size and not people he gives away weight and height too every week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Nebley

Nebley Debutant

Sydney
    Couldn't agree more. I feel like he's not being used at all to his potential. It reminds me of how the Swans took Leo Barry, all Australian HBF and an excellent (if sometimes terrifying) rebounder of the ball, and turned him into an adequate key defender. Just because he CAN play on taller players doesn't mean he SHOULD!

13. S120

S120 Norm Smith Medallist

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Wallabies
    Really good game from Rampe last night, beat Stephenson easily and helped the rest of defence out a lot.

I'd love to see him play this role more consistently, but Longmire trusts Rampe more than anyone to play on the best tall forwards. Perhaps in the next few years Melican can be ushered into that role (or Darcy Moore, who knows) so Rampe can play on smaller guys more his size and play off them to help his fellow defenders more.

Kirkswan, SwansProudly, MF and 3 others like this.
  14. drasticswans

drasticswans Debutant

Sydney
    A richmond poster was showing stats for one on ones, intercepts etc. I think Rampes numbers were very comparable to Rance and although Rampes been a bit up and down this season I'd say he is a key player. The issue is because statistically he is apparently such a great one on one defender, its difficult to play him spare and to not use his key asset. I'm also not sure Rampe plays people his size better necessarily as playing against Gunston or Riewoldt doesnt then give him more of an advantage. I feel like he plays the big boys better than Gunston/Riewoldt types due to their agility. He tends to able to run off the big boys much easier and free himself up a bit. Either way would be great to get Melican back. Probably a much bigger loss than we realise especially with Grundy out.

Kirkswan likes this.
  15. The King!

The King! Supervisor

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Cavs, Redsox, Patriots
    I remember when Rampe first started out thinking i couldnt wait for AJ to return and free Rampe up a bit, seems like so long ago.

Could be a good quad group Aliir, Rampe, Johnson, Mellican

SwansProudly and Jewelsbon like this.
  16. 6yearsold

6yearsold Club Legend

Sydney
    stop giving away stupid frees at the start of games rampe. very costly.

17. Swans man

Swans man Debutant

Sydney
    Everyone has been saying that we need more help in the middle.
    Yes rampe is real important down back which i agree.
    Lets say we get moore next season and stays fit.
    Starters down back
    Smith.alir alir. Melican ( rampe role)
    Mcveigh. moore. Jones
    Now rampe is a big body athletic tackle busting footballer.
    Has a great penetrating boot. Great in contested situations. Good fend off. Good quick hands. Decision making usually good. Has great legs speed for a 189cm 95 odd kg frame. Excellent endurance. Always gives hes all.
    Isnt this what you want around the ball.
    Rampe can get the fumbles when ball rolling around the ground, which will need some attention in pre season.
    I have been wanting this for a while now... finally saw it in the last 5 minutes of that terrible performace yesterday against giants.
    With the likes of mills (mills & jones to spend time in the middle also), grundy, lloyd. Ling. Stoddard. AJ. That irish fella o'ruden. newman etc. Also playing down back and depth players in position. Surely we can have the gamble of getting rampe to trial at least through the middle.
    Clearly our fowards and midfield needs improvement. There has been alot of comments about parker. Heeney. Hewett and co just does not giving JPK enough support.
    Yes we need to bring some in. But i think we have 1 person that can have immediate impact being rampe.
    Whats are some other comments people have on the subject.

18. Punts

Punts Brownlow Medallist

Sydney
    I highly doubt horse will do this

Olian and The King! like this.
  19. Swans man

Swans man Debutant

Sydney
    Can you mount a case why this wouldnt at least be tried

20. Tedeski

Tedeski Brownlow Medallist

Sydney
    You don't mess with something that's working fine because then you have to fix two positions.

Kirkswan and Swans man like this.
  21. caesar88

caesar88 Norm Smith Medallist

Sydney
    He'd wanna go back to 2013-2016 version of Sir Dane because the one we've seen the last two years is a rushed turnover merchant.

But it won't happen, Horse would not take an All Australian defender and make him a midfielder (but he would take small forwards out of the forward line - he's a make-a-hole-by-plugging-a-hole type of guy)

The King!, Punts and Swans man like this.
  22. The King!

The King! Supervisor

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Cavs, Redsox, Patriots
    More chance he moves buddy to defence

SilentHunter_ likes this.
  23. Banyo Bloods

Banyo Bloods Premiership Player

Sydney
    Tried it in the last minute got pinged holding the ball. But seriously I like the idea and if it doesn't work out we know he's a good defender and can always go back.

Swans man likes this.
  24. Bloodied52

Bloodied52 Premium Platinum

Sydney
    Good idea. Doubt it will be given a go.

For some obscure reason, we are after two defenders in Moore and Jonas. This reflects the .Mule's preference for 8 in defence.

25. MC Bad Genius

MC Bad Genius Premiership Player

Sydney
    Rampe himself flagged this before the 2015 season: http://m.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2015-03-19/rampe-sets-sight-on-midfield

I might be wrong, but I think that year he did go into the centre square a couple of times to give a bit more grunt in the clearances, but it was rather rare. I quite like the idea though.

The biggest argument against it is that it's robbing Peter to pay Paul. But I'd counter that his effectiveness has been curbed this year in particular ever since Clarko and Gil's infamous coffee date. He's getting penalised on a regular basis for his tactics of defending against the taller forwards and no doubt it's taken a hit on his confidence.

But finally, a counter-counter. With the likely phasing out of McVeigh and Grundy next year, it would seem pretty foolish to move Rampe out of the back 6 as well. One of the most important things is having structures and leaders to enforce those structures and if you watch Rampe closely throughout the game, he is the main one responsible for how well organised we are down back (despite the intense pressure of all those inside 50s the midfield allows).

So... I'd like to see it, but I don't think we will.

Swans man likes this.