#24 Harry Rowston (Pick 16, 2022 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Harry Rowston.png

Position: Inside midfielder
Height: 182cm
Weight: 81kg
D.O.B: 12-08-2004
Teams: GWS Giants Academy, NSW-ACT Rams, Allies, Calder Cannons

Snapshot: “A hardened inside midfielder who can roll forward to clunk overhead marks and kick crucial goals.”

STRENGTHS:
  • Competitiveness
  • Contested work
  • Inside game
  • Overhead marking
  • Scoreboard impact
  • Work rate
IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Kicking
  • Versatility
It has been quite the year for Rowston, who earned both individual and team success en route to securing a National Combine invite. After solid performances for the Giants Academy and NSW-ACT Rams, the 18-year-old was called up to the Allies squad and proved a reliable figure there to collect Most Valuable Player honours.

It didn’t take long for him to settle into the Calder setup having helped Assumption College take out the AGSV title, quickly becoming the Cannons’ most impactful player in midfield. His side defied the odds to secure a finals berth, and Rowston’s top-age campaign was capped by recent All Australian selection.

There are many boxes Rowston ticks, proving a reliable performer throughout the year and hardly putting a foot wrong. The crux of his game lies at the contest, where the tough 18-year-old's competitiveness and clean stoppage craft shine. A real gutsy goer, Rowston stood up against stiff opposition this season to impose himself on the contest. While his Allies MVP feats were impressive, one of his standout efforts came against a Sandringham Dragons midfield trio of Will Ashcroft, Cam Mackenzie and Olli Hotton, whom Rowston collect 26 disposals against in a finals loss.

The level of competitiveness required to play a game like Rowston's is high. He worked hard on his endurance base to become a more viable midfield option, and offers the same standards on-field. At the National Championships, his average 23 disposals and five clearances were evidence of his powerful ball winning ability. While he won 47 per cent of his possessions in a contest, Rowston's improved running capacity became a strength away from stoppage. Busting a gut on the spread, he snuck forward for three goals in his opening Allies outing, and has the capacity to hit the scoreboard as a midfielder or resting forward.

Though he could further enhance that sense of versatility, Rowston's overhead marking ability is something which defies his size. His clean hands translate from a ground ball sense to the aerial realm, with Rowston not afraid to put his body on the line and clunk grabs at full stretch. In terms of improvement, Rowston does many things powerfully and that extends to his kicking. That helps in the way of penetration, but the onballer's flat delivery is hit and miss at times, especially when blazing away from stoppages. With a touch more polish by foot, his inside-outside balance will even out and his hurt factor will only heighten.

Harry Rowston will debut in round 2, thanks to injuries to Kelly & Perryman, as well as Whitfield. Great story; I'm glad we matched the Swans' bid despite the cost and the media kerfuffle.

Harry Rowston’s childhood dream of playing for the GIANTS will come true on Sunday with the Academy graduate named to make his AFL debut.

“My head’s still spinning, I can’t believe it,” the 18-year-old said on Friday morning after learning he’d be playing his first game from captain Toby Greene. "I haven’t slept all week thinking about it. To finally know is pretty exciting. I couldn’t be happier.”

From a farm near Binya in southern NSW - a town with a population of 122 at the last census - Rowston has been part of the GIANTS Academy since the very first year he was eligible. “I was as young as I could get into it,” Rowston said. “I’ve been through every rank, I’ve been with (fellow draftee) Nick Madden as well so to be here with him is pretty cool and now to be playing for the GIANTS, it’s a lifelong dream come true.”

GIANTS AFLW head coach and former Academy head coach Cam Bernasconi was in the room when Rowston was told his dream would be coming true. “Me and ‘Berna’ have had a pretty good connection the past couple of years and he’s probably one that I dedicate being here to him,” Rowston said. “For the last couple years he’s really taken my footy to the next level. It just shows the connections you make through the Academy, it’s just amazing to be able to share those sort of experiences with him.”

Rowston called his mum Kirsty - a primary school teacher at the local town of Yenda - to tell her the news with mum, dad Phil and the entire extended family to make the trip to Perth for Sunday’s game. “Mum’s at work with her little kiddies,” he said. “She obviously cried, like she always does. They’re stoked. Dad’s back on the farm slugging away like he always is so to tell him the news is pretty exciting.”

The farm is a place close to Rowston’s heart and despite moving away to boarding school in Melbourne for his high school years, it’s where he feels most at home. “Obviously it’s a lot of hard work, coming from the farm, and it probably shows in my footy,” Rowston said. "I dedicate everything back to home, I absolutely love getting back there whenever I can, it’s my favourite place ever.”

Rowston has very clear instructions from coach Adam Kingsley on what they want to see from the debutant on Sunday against the West Coast Eagles. “Just get in there and compete,” he said. “Hit bodies, tackle hard, those are the things I got drafted for and the things that ‘Kingers’ has wanted me to show out on the footy field so I’ll just go out there and have a crack and try and get the win.”

And he re-signs nice and early!

Harry Rowston has signed a two-year contract extension, tying him to the GIANTS until at least the end of 2026.

The 18-year-old, who was already contracted for next year, has extended his contract until the end of 2026. Selected with pick 16 in the 2022 NAB AFL Draft, the GIANTS Academy product made his AFL debut in the GIANTS’ round two clash with West Coast at Optus Stadium and has held his spot in the senior side since.

GIANTS General Manager of Football, Jason McCartney, said he is excited to have Rowston sign on after an impressive start to his AFL career. “We’re really excited to have both a player and a person of Harry’s calibre re-commit to our program,” McCartney said. “As someone who has come through the GIANTS Academy and has been involved with our club for a long time, we were keen to secure his services longer-term and we’re really pleased to have done that so early into his career. We’ve already seen a small glimpse of what Harry has to offer as a player and we look forward to seeing him continue to progress in our program.”

Rowston said it was an easy decision to put pen to paper on a contract extension. “For me it was a pretty easy decision,” Rowston said. “My debut game was a bit nerve racking, I was a little starstruck when I was out there, but after my second game I’m starting to feel more comfortable at the level.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back