Delisted #24: Jordan Houlahan

Remove this Banner Ad

Reminds me of Mason Redman.

Think he’s a bit more like Hayward from Sydney who we tried to nab last year. Funny he mentions he tries to model his game on Hayward too.

Yes I would’ve preferred more midfield depth but generally speaking, you are better off recruiting project players who have a bit of height about them, they’re bodies haven’t fully developed and thus have upside.

No expectations though but don’t mind a developing forward.

Well Dodoro said "he doesn't even know how good he can be yet" - so doesn't sound too much like FIGJAM Howe.
Yeah, he sounds like a good kid. Just hoping the "fame" doesn't go to his head is all.

Yeah, he sounds like a good kid. Just hoping the "fame" doesn't go to his head is all.
Has anything given you an indication it will?

With being an AFL player. Howe was taken at Pick 33 and look how full of himself he is.
If Houlahan ends up the same calibre as Howe I wouldn't care how full of himself he is.

Think he’s a bit more like Hayward from Sydney who we tried to nab last year. Funny he mentions he tries to model his game on Hayward too.

Yes I would’ve preferred more midfield depth but generally speaking, you are better off recruiting project players who have a bit of height about them, they’re bodies haven’t fully developed and thus have upside.

No expectations though but don’t mind a developing forward.

Don't get the Redman comparison at all. Redman is a running player where as all of Houlahan's highlights relate to his aerial ability. I hesitate to mention a comparison because the two I would compare him to are elite players but to me plays something like Elliott and Robbie Gray.

Pretty interesting pick given that he definitely doesn't fill a need, we've clearly gone 'best available no matter what' at this selection. His footskills, vertical leap and forward prowess are on show and he is damn good at this. However with below average endurance, not being a big possession winner and not spending any serious time in other positions I think he'll struggle for game time given that we already have Langford, Begley, Stringer and Laverde earmarked to fight for the medium forward/midfield roles in our best 22. At least we'll never be short for goal kicking options, just got to figure out how to get it down there more often now. He reminds me a lot of Jamie Elliot, minus the punchable head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty interesting pick given that he definitely doesn't fill a need, we've clearly gone 'best available no matter what' at this selection. His footskills, vertical leap and forward prowess are on show and he is damn good at this. However with below average endurance, not being a big possession winner and not spending any serious time in other positions I think he'll struggle for game time given that we already have Langford, Begley, Stringer and Laverde earmarked to fight for the medium forward/midfield roles in our best 22. At least we'll never be short for goal kicking options, just got to figure out how to get it down there more often now. He reminds me a lot of Jamie Elliot, minus the punchable head.

When I read this line

"However with below average endurance, not being a big possession winner and not spending any serious time in other positions"

my first thought was have we found a younger version of Jake Stringer.

This was the one pick I really didn't get because as you mention we already have Langford, Begley, Stringer and Laverde playing his kind of role, I would have thought we would have gone for another mid or defender.

When I read this line

"However with below average endurance, not being a big possession winner and not spending any serious time in other positions"

my first thought was have we found a younger version of Jake Stringer.

This was the one pick I really didn't get because as you mention we already have Langford, Begley, Stringer and Laverde playing his kind of role, I would have thought we would have gone for another mid or defender.
Spent time in the midfield of several of his games I saw and thought he did ok. Would like to see him get a run through the midfield at VFL level

I rated Houlahan at 27 in my rankings the only player that was higher who was available was Stoddart at 25 so I was pretty happy with this pick although he wasn't a massive need I understood the reasoning of picking best available. Houlahan is better than this pick aswell so we have done well.

What I like about Houlahan apart from the flashy stuff is that he is willing to tackle hard and he doesn't need a lot of the ball to have an impact. His endurance was down but he had a shoulder reconstruction last October so his preparation wasn't the best. His late season form starting at the champs was very promising and I feel he will be an absolute handful playing forward at VFL level. It will be interesting to see what we do with him whether we test him and throw him around, if he plays out of the square every week he will go close to top 10 in the VFL goalkicking I reckon.

Last edited:
Plenty of upside. From footage I've seen he seems really unfit. Once fit should be capable of playin on a flank either end. Reads it well, could easily see him turning into a defender more so than fwd.

Let's just hope he doesn't have the same attitude to playing that Howe does lol, i.e. only plays for himself and accolades.

Wow ! What a strange post - How is fairly well-rounded player who effectively plays his role, especially once moved to defence - Never seen anything in his play to suggest he is selfish or he plays for accolades.

Wow ! What a strange post - How is fairly well-rounded player who effectively plays his role, especially once moved to defence - Never seen anything in his play to suggest he is selfish or he plays for accolades.
You didn't see him whinging persistently when Daniher pipped him for the Mark of the Year award?

But anyway this is the Houlahan thread, lets just talk about him. As far as recent draftees go, I'd say he's fairly comparable to Will Hayward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back