Delisted #24: Jordan Houlahan

SA clubs falling over for players from SA...I wonder if they are into him and Redman.
Pretty sure someone said somewhere the SA clubs had been sniffing around Redman. Fantasia too no doubt.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Liar. You haven't once said it in your house, I'd have heard it on the video feed.

I don't talk about footy with my housemates. They don't get it.

Hey can you check did I leave my wallet on the bench this morning?

I don't talk about footy with my housemates. They don't get it.

Hey can you check did I leave my wallet on the bench this morning?
Nah its down the side of your couch, fell out of your pocket last night.

mayhem20202

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2007
Sale, Vic
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Leeds United
I heard a rumour from this one guy, who said he heard this rumour from this other guy, that Jordan is really good at dodging wrenches.

Let’s hope he is, cos evidence at this point suggests he’ll need a new career in 12 months time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
is this what happens when you abandon your draft big board* and take a draft slider under the guise 'best available'?

*post has no base in fact, maybe we had spoken to him and he was next on our list..

Was he considered a slider?

DPS seemed pleased we got him, said most had rated him higher. I'd generally trust his judgement as someone who watches a lot of Under 18s and gives us plenty of feedback / writeups / information on these young guys.

Sometimes kids can have talent and just lack the work ethic to make it work at the next level. Remains to be seen how he goes in the VFL this year but seems he's done little to impress anyone.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
I suppose looking back over a few of the club comments at draft time it should have raised a few signs it was a speculative type pick:

"Jordan is an exhilarating 186cm forward, with the ability to take the big pack mark, as well as getting free and out the back for the easy one."

-get out back and get the easy one - not the greatest trait

"He is a very talented individual and doesn't even realise how talented he could be, He just has to work hard"

-sounds like a kid who could be anything but lacks the work ethic, like to get out back for the cheapie or fly from 4 deep.

anyhow, here's hoping he can turn it around.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Sometimes guys don't work out. I know he was our first live pick but he was pick 49. You aren't going to get all hits at that stage of the draft.
Considering we got Stringer, Saad and Smith in addition to Guelfi and a good prospect in Brandon Zerk-Thatcher I reckon you take that draft and trade period any day.

Has something happened to spark this discussion?

I'd otherwise reiterate this post.

If you can't just write it off as we're going to get few wrong in and around 49, it goes to show the pitfalls with "best available" when it's divorced from need. Reality is that Houlahan was always going to struggle to make an impact especially early with him being well behind a stack of mid and tall forwards.

What Houlahan needed last year was to play deep forward with space to lead at the ball. That's his trick from what I've seen.

He was never going to get that when competing with 5 of Laverde, Begley, McKernan, Stewart, Brown, Draper/Leuenberger and Boyse in any given week.

Wouldn't write him off yet but he's clearly facing an uphill battle to stay on the list.

Maybe I probably agree with Howard more than I initially thought but I'd want to see the obvious talent first. I cant say I've seen anything that screams AFL regardless of how impressive his underage highlights were.

Back