Senior 24. Nic Newman

Remove this Banner Ad

‘Hello’ Newman has to be in AA contention, not just making up the numbers in the squad but close to the side. Reliable as ever on the defensive side of things, getting a heap of the footy and using it immaculately to set up attack after attack. Been an amazing pick up for us on the cheap really when you think about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's really become a better player than I'd hoped. One of my criticisms of our squad over the past few years - and definitely whilst we were playing like garbage earlier this year - is that we're too "nice". Not combative enough, not aggressive enough. I think this guy stood out like a beacon through those tough times as someone who WAS up for the fight. He DID want to make it uncomfortable for the opposition. I can't think of a Blue who is involved in more scraps, shoves, verbals, umpire chats that Newman - and I mean that in a good good way! He fights for position and the ball with everything he's got.

He's really taken over the role Docherty used to play in the backline and he's doing the job every bit as well (plus we get Doc's bravery and versatility up-field where it was needed). With Weitering is definitely a leader in the backline, able to be part of both structured, sensible defence and manic, desperate defence when required - AND be very effective on the counter-attack.

Just a really good AFL mid-sized defender. Wouldn't look out of place in a premiership side at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back