Contract Status: Out of contract 2025
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 16, ant555

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
Fox Footy/David King reporting GC are offering him a longer-term contract. Mate, it's been one game hahaha. Looks pretty comfortable at Essendon, so don't think there is anything to worry about.

Would it be something we'd look at in terms of a trade though (???) or do we like the potential combination of Draper/Bryan for the future? Personally, I like the combination, he looked pretty clean around the centre yesterday.
It's been one game and Draper had an offer after 0 games. Christ no we wouldn't look to trade. Dodoro's head on a pike if we did. Draper goes down again next year and then what? Bryan could even go past Draper.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Do we play him against Mumford just to be rag dolled all day?

I'm divided. If Philips fit I am leaning towards him replacing Bryan.

Mumford may not play two in a row, and GWS might think Flynn can cover Bryan (tbh, he should be able to, Flynn has been good).

Mumford will have him for strength but isn't exactly the most mobile of guys, he's not as physical as he once was. Draper held up OK when he was against Mumford from memory.

Draper does that Grundy thing where he in effect becomes another mid once the ball is down.
Bryan did look very natural linking up or getting loose balls he had no business taking hold of. Or check side boundary passing by foot!

They were only practice games, but he looked alright playing back last year from the limited vision put out.
Broken enough ground with a 200cm winger.
3x rucks (back, middle, forward) in one side?
Ryder was pretty good playing CHB/Ruck early days.

This time last year the cupboard looked as bare as I can remember, all of a sudden we’ve got so many options and things we can do the most important thing will probably be just not outsmarting ourselves.

Oct 6, 2020
Narre Warren South
AFL Club
Essendon
Mumford may not play two in a row, and GWS might think Flynn can cover Bryan (tbh, he should be able to, Flynn has been good).

Mumford will have him for strength but isn't exactly the most mobile of guys, he's not as physical as he once was. Draper held up OK when he was against Mumford from memory.
Mumford played two in a row recently (Collingwood Round 4 and Sydney Round 5) and they've won every game he's played this year. Every chance they play him against us.

I would play both Phillips and Bryan and rest Wright.
Why would Wright ever need a rest?

Sep 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Mumford played two in a row recently (Collingwood Round 4 and Sydney Round 5) and they've won every game he's played this year. Every chance they play him against us.

Why would Wright ever need a rest?

Okay, omit then.

I would like Bryan to get another crack, but I think he’d need stronger support than Wright for the ruck duties during the game.

And to make room for both Bryan and Phillips to play, you’d think one tall forward needs to go.

Out of Hooker (3rd in Coleman), Jones (just had his best game) and Wright...I’d pick Wright.

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
Okay, omit then.

I would like Bryan to get another crack, but I think he’d need stronger support than Wright for the ruck duties during the game.

And to make room for both Bryan and Phillips to play, you’d think one tall forward needs to go.

Out of Hooker (3rd in Coleman), Jones (just had his best game) and Wright...I’d pick Wright.
Drop Stringer. The whole pinch hit in the middle thing doesn't work the way it should, as it is supposed to create doubt on whether or not he'll push forward. But he always pushes forward because he has no tank.

Oct 6, 2020
Narre Warren South
AFL Club
Essendon
Okay, omit then.

Why the hell would you ever think of dropping Wright? Did you forget how good he was on Anzac Day?

Neither Bryan or Phillips have the forward craft to be able to have both of them in the team at once. You actively weaken the team by playing them both over like one of them in the ruck and Wright in the forwardline.

It's not like this is the only game he will ever play. He'll be back at some point this year. He probably knew that he was gonna be back out of the team next week anyway.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Interesting reading the opinions on Bryan after what King said last night.

Not expecting anything he said to have any validity, but just sharing what he said with y'all.

YOUNG BOMBER ON RIVAL RADAR

Fresh off his AFL debut, 19-year-old Essendon ruckman Nick Bryan could be looking at a big money deal that could see a rival club prise him out of the Bombers.

Bryan made his senior debut against Carlton on Sunday after being taken with Pick 38 in the 2019 draft, having spent 2020 honing his craft and spending time in defence as well as the ruck.

It was Essendon’s sixth debutant in seven rounds so far this season, but there could be a play for the young gun by the Gold Coast Suns.

“I heard a whisper that maybe the Suns have thrown a bit of cash at Nick Bryan, who played his first game for Essendon today, a little bit like St Kilda did with Sam Draper a couple of years ago,” David King said on Fox Footy’s First Crack.

“Offer $300-400,000 a year and try and lure him out before he becomes a name - I’ve heard a three-year deal at about $400,000 a year.”

Foxfooty.com.au understands Essendon have offered Bryan a two-year deal on less money than Gold Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
Why the hell would you ever think of dropping Wright? Did you forget how good he was on Anzac Day?

Neither Bryan or Phillips have the forward craft to be able to have both of them in the team at once. You actively weaken the team by playing them both over like one of them in the ruck and Wright in the forwardline.

It's not like this is the only game he will ever play. He'll be back at some point this year. He probably knew that he was gonna be back out of the team next week anyway.

Who says Bryan has no forward craft?

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
"I heard a whisper that maybe..." Gimme a spell.

So he maybe heard there's a possibility that GC could've offered him a deal.

Probably some dude at the pub saying "GC need a ruckman, that Bryan from the Bombers has done alright in the VFL this season so they should throw something at him".

Sep 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

This is a developing year. I don’t see why we can’t try different combinations. If we have the future intent of playing a Draper/Bryan ruck combo, why not see how Bryan goes with the rotating forward role?

Oct 6, 2020
Narre Warren South
AFL Club
Essendon
This is a developing year. I don’t see why we can’t try different combinations. If we have the future intent of playing a Draper/Bryan ruck combo, why not see how Bryan goes with the rotating forward role?
Better to try that later in the year. Bryan's had a taste and knows what he needs the next level. Now he can go back to the VFL and work on some stuff till his next opportunity presents itself.

TheFrenchCut

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
The reality is that we have as much cap space as anyone and GC has Witts, who while out for the year, is 28 and captain of the club, so Bryan wouldn't be the lone selected ruck (if that) there either for the length of that contract. Being a Vic Metro boy too, it's highly unlikely he would be keen to move states (even though he is presumably mates with Rowell and Anderson). But yeah look thanks again Kingy.

Lots of folks sh*t on dodo, but it looks like he murdered the 2019 draft given the picks we had.

It apparently doesn’t count when something good happens.

Lots of folks sh*t on dodo, but it looks like he murdered the 2019 draft given the picks we had.
We were saying that after the 2012 draft though... maybe give it a few years

Really? I don’t remember that at all. Who would we have been overly excited about other than Joe (who was a total no brainer).
All of them got a fair bit of hype.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back