AFL Player #24: Nick Bryan

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im looking forward to reading the VFL report. WAFL star Jerremy Goddard has relocated to Melbourne and is playing at Frankston/Mt Eliza FC whom we played last night in a practice match. Would be a good test for the young man as JG is fairly phyiscal iirc.

The Lions have man mountain and colossus Oscar McCinerney back this week (today), so I wouldn't be to opposed at seeing Bryan debut. He'll earn one sooner rather than later.

The training reports suggest he is coming along nicely and whilst he may not be ready (full time) he can't be anyworse than what 2MP offered on Thursday night (admittedly 2MP should be playing fwd not ruck).
He could actually be worse right now. Anyway he did not get through a full game last night.

I didn’t see or read it, apologies if there was a mix up. Did you see the game last night?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No but I have had the same VFL guy for years for the games I do not see. Has not failed to give me a decent review.
My info is Phillips was close to BOG and Bryan was okay but is still pretty raw and finished the game iced up.
Bryan will be a good ruck , maybe better than Draper but right now he is not physically strong. He will need time.
His development will not change if he has to play more VFL. His tap work is already fairly advanced.

Last edited:
Sounds like with Phillips back from injury they're sharing VFL ruck duties.
“Nick started the game really well. Both our ruckmen were really dominant. His aerial contests were really strong and he took some really good marks. He was a great pressure player as well on the weekend, so it was a good game for Nick.”

FMD this kid can play!

His second half agaist the Lions made up for having to watch a diabolical 2nds side with about 3 players who look like they could be developed into something and with another 3 or 4 VFL players who are solid.

Bryan has something pretty close to the complete set of attributes minus the frame to carry huge weight.

He looks genuinely quick, has nice spring and looks generally comfortable at ground level where he displayed the repeat efforts and clean hands we saw very small glimpses of in the JLT matches.

His ruck craft was first rate, thin as he is he is strong enough and understands the craft enough to dictate terms against much heavier men.

He clunked a few marks in defence and generally kicked the ball really well.

He's the yin to Draper's yang. Whereas Draper's game is built on brute force and competitiveness, with, it has to be said, sublime ruck craft, Bryan is the natural, pure class.

There were a few moments in that game when he drew the ball forward I couldn't help but think he could be a pretty special key forward. No way is he a stand and deliver player at this stage but leading and jumping at the ball...

I cannot speak highly enough of what he did today. He's going to be some player.

The burn was always going to be slower than it is for guys like Jones, Cox and even Reid because he was always raw but also his primary role takes years to nail down.

Last edited:
FMD this kid can play!

His second half agaist the Lions made up for having to watch a diabolical 2nds side with about 3 players who look like they could be developed into something and with another 3 or 4 VFL players who are solid.

Bryan has something pretty close to the complete set of attributes minus the frame to carry huge weight.

He looks genuinely quick, has nice spring and looks generally comfortable at ground level where he displayed the repeat efforts and clean hands we saw very small glimpses of in the JLT matches.

His ruck craft was first rate, thin as he is he is strong enough and understands the craft enough to dictate terms against much heavier men.

He's the yin to Draper's yang. Whereas Draper's game is built on brute force and competitiveness, with, it has to be said, sublime ruck craft, Bryan is the natural, pure class.

There were a few moments in that game when he drew the ball forward I couldn't help but think he could be a pretty special key forward. No way is he a stand and deliver player at this stage but leading and jumping at the ball...

I cannot speak highly enough of what he did today. He's going to be some player.
Great summary Bruno Bryan ;)

FMD this kid can play!

The burn was always going to be slower than it is for guys like Jones, Cox and even Reid because he was always raw but also his primary role takes years to nail down.

Our own Tim English

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He played well and looked great for a half, but he is nowhere near ready to play against Grundy.
Then Phillips it is otherwise grundy will have 100 hit outs

I'd be playing both Phillips and Wright. We've seen Grundy get worked over against two ruckman.
I mean Martin and English worked him over and Mumford worried him

Nick Bryan
Stats: 27 disposals, 34 hitouts, five marks, three tackles

“Nick was one of our better players on the day. He competed really hard, so it was really good to see. He had 34 hitouts and four clearances him, so his follow-up work was really good. It was a good game for Nick.”

That's leather poisoning for a ruckman. Probably have to reserve judgement because it could just be an anomaly caused by humidity and him being fresh enough to run out the game well.

Getting ball is good, but Brisbane didn't bring a ruck so that side doesn't mean much - it was 57 hitouts to 7.

I mean, they had Fullerton and Archie Smith who have both rucked at AFL level and can get off the ground, it’s not as if he was going against a random from the VAFA or something

Remove this Banner Ad

Back