AFL Player #24: Nick Bryan

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suddenly a really big rig. Must have put on 10kgs?

Any insights into his feel with the footy? Can he play in spots that aren't the ruck?

Any insights into his feel with the footy? Can he play in spots that aren't the ruck?

It's inevitable that he'll be developed forward.

He's the same generation as Draper. He's not going to feature in planning unless he can play another position.

There's stacks of time. He's probably got 10kgs and then an AFL level tank to develop. Wright has a three year deal. Stewart looks to be the stop gap in defence to let the like of Reid, Brand and maybe even Bryan to develop to the point they can stand the best key forwards.

Become the number 2 ruck first and then hopefully mount a challenge for the best 22 as a second ruck/key forward.

5kgs is just in his mullet

It's inevitable that he'll be developed forward.

He's the same generation as Draper. He's not going to feature in planning unless he can play another position.

There's stacks of time. He's probably got 10kgs and then an AFL level tank to develop. Wright has a three year deal. Stewart looks to be the stop gap in defence to let the like of Reid, Brand and maybe even Bryan to develop to the point they can stand the best key forwards.

Become the number 2 ruck first and then hopefully mount a challenge for the best 22 as a second ruck/key forward.

He actually played at FB in a few of the scrimmage games and did well. Now you can not take a lot out of the scrimmage games but the word was he was reading game well and used his height well to spoil. From the little I have seen his tap work is actually better and a bit more refined than Draper. I agree he will most likely be a second ruck / forward in the best 22.

Can football this one.

Yep. Like the way he stays in the game.

Way too thin at this stage. 10 to 15kgs from where he'll end up.

When he adds the size he'll have the presence to impose himself on the contest from the positions he already takes up.

Much more to like about that game than not but don't see why he'd play this year unless Draper and Phillips are injured.

If that's the number 2 that just played why'd we just move Crauford on?

Yep. Like the way he stays in the game.

Way too thin at this stage. 10 to 15kgs from where he'll end up.

It's a tough call, where I agree he will need to bulk to be competative against the beast rucks.

I just hope he doesn't put on too much that it will upset his current leap. On 3 occassions today, I found his leap to be pure and almost effortless. The one that stood out was in the 3rd Q when he leaped and turned in the air, knocking the ball to Parish's chest... though eventually slipping through his arms and ending up a blues goal. All fluid and very deliberate.

I think that to maintain this agility, he'd be better following in the path of Footscray's English rather than Giant's Mummy in body shape.

It's a tough call, where I agree he will need to bulk to be competative against the beast rucks.

I just hope he doesn't put on too much that it will upset his current leap. On 3 occassions today, I found his leap to be pure and almost effortless. The one that stood out was in the 3rd Q when he leaped and turned in the air, knocking the ball to Parish's chest... though eventually slipping through his arms and ending up a blues goal. All fluid and very deliberate.

I think that to maintain this agility, he'd be better following in the path of Footscray's English rather than Giant's Mummy in body shape.

Who said anything about Mumford?

English would be 10 to 15 kgs heavier than Bryan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always refreshing to see a kid come in and play to his strengths right off the bat and play as advertised. Rose up a good foot over Jenkins at his first centre bounce

He’s got serious potential

How soon can we get the double act in the team? Apparently trialled as a defender last year in those scratch matches, wonder if he could pinch hit from key defence and roll a Francis, Ridley or Laverde onto his opponent when in the ruck.

There's no rush.

Bryan still has a stack of physical development to do.

How soon can we get the double act in the team? Apparently trialled as a defender last year in those scratch matches, wonder if he could pinch hit from key defence and roll a Francis, Ridley or Laverde onto his opponent when in the ruck.
I mean in theory he could start round 1 but I'd give him most of the year in the VFL, bulk him up a bit more and get him ready for 2022 with an extra 10kg or so on him.

Will be really interesting to see what happens from here.

Bryan looks a very good prospect on-ball. However, his immediate path into the best 22 is not clear. Wright has just played a game that suggests he's going to be a mainstay and he'll get an early opportunity to consolidate. Early signs are that he will.

Hooker is extremely effective at creating scoring opportunities. Jones looks more ready to go in his preferred position than Bryan does and is going to get an opportunity.

Stringer is really a key forward because he is bad defensively so I'd query whether Hooker/Jones stay in the side when he returns.

Makes a spot forward hard to see happening any time soon. There is a lot about Bryan playing as a defender that makes sense to me but I dont know that I'd want to upset his ruck development at this early stage.

I think he's looking at at another few years in reserve which is essentially just the normal rate of development for a kid his size and pedigree (being raw and nothing close to the finished product).

Nah. Let him play a mixture of forward and ruck and not worry about him playing seniors. Just move Hooker into defence now in preparation of Stringer being fit round 2 or 3 hopefully

Remove this Banner Ad

Back