Autopsy 24 point loss against the Lions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Most has been said on the gameday thread but the game was lost in the first QTR and mostly the 2nd.

18 inside 50's for 1.3 in the first what the heck kind of reward is that? worse we kept kicking it to Andrews.

Good sides make you pay and thats just what Brisbane did kicking 6 in the 2nd.

Cant expect defence to hold out and considering the onslaught they did well i thought.

Special mentions to Franklin and Parker who never gave up all night.

5-2 is a great start to the season onwards to next week

good sides fight it out, we did

sucks to lose at home

but the better side won, they stood up when it counted

tip the hat, credit to them, now just dont drop the next 2 that we should win

today says more about how good brisbane are than anything

Franklin magnificent

take the positives and move on

Got beaten up by a seasoned side in form. Had a couple of really pleasing patches but too many mistakes and didn't make enough of our early opportunities.

Diabolical night for Lloyd. McLean was poor and Papley only managed to work his way into the game late.

I thought Ladhams battled well but Hickey will make a big difference when he's back.

Overall you'll take 5-2 and if we play to form we should be 8-3 or better going into the bye.

Last edited:
Beaten by a better team today, no doubt about it.

McLean needs to be dropped
Missed an unforgivable goal in the first
Shanked a shot on goal with two players open
Gets pinned holding the ball because he has the speed of a sloth when we are trying to fight back. Bloke does barley enough as it is most weeks so he's got not no wriggle room.

Lloyd is nothing but a liability. He's a selfish stat padding pea heart. All he Is worried about is his fantasy score. Makes mistake after mistake which is ridiculous from a player with his experience

After the first quarter all it did was paper over the cracks. The side we played (due to injury and early return) was not up to the Lions standard.

In fact there were many Lions down on form which is the only credit I can give the Swans.

If it was the Swans on the opposite side of the ledger all talk would be about how good teams get it done.

We are just simply not quite good enough to compete with the top tier but on the positive side we’re not far off. Hewett and Dawson big losses which we haven’t covered but we can with just one decent off season.

4 goal margin probably reflective of where we are at. Midfield need to be consistent and not come in and out of the contest like they did. Forward line spread better in the second half and it showed with more scoring. But Lloyd has to be sent to the 2's. Been a month of just absolute trash decision making and turnovers.

Parker, Mills, Buddy seemed standouts. Florent, Campbell, Gulden, Heeney and Ladhams serviceable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will Hayward has been put on report

Two good sides played tonight.

Unfortunately, some muffed shots in Q1 and a spurt of brilliance from Lachie Neale in Q3 decided it.

Papley was grossly underdone (we should’ve learned a lesson from West Coast that you MUST give blokes a run in the twos).

McLean went from good last week to utter spud.

If Tommy Mac gets injured, we have maasive back 6 problems.

Florent looked really good at half back. Might have found something there.

Overall - certainly not a train smash. Still a clear top 4 hope.

As predicted, a performance of individual brilliance was not going to save us if there weren't enough contributors around it.

Buddy was brilliant. Mills was great. Heeney did his best, though probably flattered himself late. Gulden & Warner tried hard but lacked polish.

I liked Florent in the back half, very composed, and I think that could be an area where his inability to be prolific may not be such an issue. Could use his speed and new-found poise in a quality > quantity type role.

Special shoutout to Braeden Campbell who just does not ever stop trying and never looks defeated, even when everyone around him does.

It was interesting as I was watching the game I was thinking, we are being far too reactive here and not pro-active enough. Then the commentators said the exact same thing. There is not a single player like this more than Rowbottom, who has become completely reactive. Broken record time but he just doesn't look like he wants to compete.

But the above is too indicative of the entire team for lapses that we can't afford to have. You just won't win a final if you are second to every ball and anticipating what the opposition is going to do rather than just trying to do something yourself.

It was also interesting how Horse tried more midfield combinations than I've ever seen in a single game, yet each combination was as badly out-played as the one before it.

I actually thought Rowbottom was okay.

Never really looked the better team on the night. The Lions are a solid team all across the park. I like em.

Thought Heywood was junk. Heeney was well held tonight. McInerney down on his best. Warner okay but kind of a night of almost for him. Errol okay too but not been at his best for a while.

Buddy wound the clock back for about 15 minutes there.

Defense is a big worry. We'd save ourselves 20 points a match if we stopped the stupid stuff.

Ladhams contines to impress. Give him time I reckon.

I thought Cunningham was okay before he went off.

Florent was fantastic for mine.

Good to get a run into Paps. He'll be better for it.

Thank god for JPK and Parks in the centre tonight. Need muscle against them.

Big picture ... it's only one match and things change. But they look to have a better best 22 than us at the moment. Learn from it and get better.

Reid can't get another game. McDonald comes in - we need clean hands and a forward that'll present and kick goals. Reid is none of those.

McLean killed momentum (much needed) by trying to make up for his s**t game by going for goal and missing in the 3rd. Probably has enough credits not to be dropped.

Rampe has been s**t since 2020. He knows it too. Need Paddy in so he doesn't have to take a 1st or 2nd forward player.

Florent can take Lloyd's role. Smashed Bailey.

CoR in for Cunningham.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back