Past #24: Sam Durdin - delisted after 21 NM games/1 NM goal - thanks Durds (drafted by Carlton in '22 MSD)

Remove this Banner Ad

His only legal option was to bump/shephard for his team mate. The commentators who brought up the Burton/Higgins incident are idiots. Burton had the option to tackle/smother and should've been suspended.

His only legal option was to bump/shephard for his team mate. The commentators who brought up the Burton/Higgins incident are idiots. Burton had the option to tackle/smother and should've been suspended.

Not to mention he ran 30 metres to lay the hit

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Moving aside from the suspension.

He was equally good and bad.

Killed Ratugolea, he was an absolute non-entity for the whole game.

However, he had a half a dozen heart in mouth moments.

When he leaves his man he has to impact the ball, he did it on 5-6 occasions, he came over the top and put the ball in a worse position, he didn't connect with the ball properly, let the ball go over the back goal side, missed a spoil etc etc.

This is all junior/basic defensive stuff and I imagine would be under the microscope in the review.

There was also moments where he was just way too laconic, which has been his knock for a long time, when the ball was in his area to be won, or an opponent had won the ball and he was just jogging around in the near vicinity. He has to tackle, smother, be manic desperate. He just let guys have shots at goal or run around him. He's just not hard at the man and the ball enough imo.

He's not a squib or anything, but if you inserted Cunnington, Garner, Thomas or Zurhaar's campaigner into him, he'd be a fantastic defender imo.

Moving aside from the suspension.

He was equally good and bad.

Killed Ratugolea, he was an absolute non-entity for the whole game.

When he leaves his man he has to impact the ball, he did it on 5-6 occasions, he came over the top and put the ball in a worse position, he didn't connect with the ball properly, let the ball go over the back goal side, missed a spoil etc etc.

This is all junior/basic defensive stuff and I imagine would be under the microscope in the review.

There was also moments where he was just way too laconic, which has been his knock for a long time, when the ball was in his area to be won, or an opponent had won the ball and he was just jogging around in the near vicinity. He has to tackle, smother, be manic desperate. He just let guys have shots at goal or run around him. He's just not hard at the man and the ball enough imo.

He's not a squib or anything, but if you inserted Cunnington, Garner, Thomas or Zurhaar's campaigner into him, he'd be a fantastic defender imo.
All of the faults screams, 10 game player.
He needs AFL games for his development. If we see Durdin as part of our future, he needs to be playing when fit.

All of the faults screams, 10 game player.
He needs AFL games for his development. If we see Durdin as part of our future, he needs to be playing when fit.

This.

If he is part of the way forward he hold his spot.

We need him to be part of the way forward.

Do you think Scott would have the balls to tell Thompson?

Scott doesn't use the VFL that way.

The VFL should be used as a harmonious teaching tool.

However we've never used it that way.

So much so, quite some time ago, while he was out, someone on camera asked Ziebell if he'd be playing at Werribee before getting back to AFL to which he responded 'Where's Werribee?'

Thompson is a seasoned defender who's best was AA quality.

I don't see why in a year that now means nothing, He can spend sometime in the VFL helping McKay while Durdin is in the seniors for a stretch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can’t seriously think that Durdin should be played ahead of Thompson?
Why not? Probably Scooters last season, we have nothing to gain by playing him ahead of Durds, The top 5 in the national draft are absolute gems, why the hell would we play durds over scooter you say? Playing Durds can only benefit his development at senior level, I thought he played okay and well enough to persist with, IMO its a no brainer

So much so, quite some time ago, while he was out, someone on camera asked Ziebell if he'd be playing at Werribee before getting back to AFL to which he responded 'Where's Werribee?'

I don't see why in a year that now means nothing, He can spend sometime in the VFL helping McKay while Durdin is in the seniors for a stretch.

The way we use the VFL compared to say, Richmond or Box Hill Hawks is legitimately terrifying.

We simply don't understand the benefits yet.

He also needs to work on his judgement. He flat out killed 4-5 balls yesterday which he should have marked.

It's also a mortal sin for a defender to fail in killing the ball whilst taking themselves out of the competition in that act. You NEVER let the ball get behind you, or go to ground failing to execute negating the ball, which results in leaving your opponent unmanned and in the contest.

Intent was great, but footy smarts were clearly average. Still rusty. I'm not writing him off by any stretch.

Wow, so much sense...

Btw Ziebell should’ve been dropped for those comments and asked are you a premiership captain? What right do to you have to pot the younger guys making a name for themselves.

The only way this ship is going to right is if we change the mindset and culture of the players.

Last edited:
The commentators mentioned that the rule was changed in the off season. We have have a situation where Burton got off and now Durdin won't which is lovely :drunk:

They are removing shepherding from the game via stealth.

Intent was great, but footy smarts were clearly average. Still rusty. I'm not writing him off by any stretch.

Agree but also disagree a bit with the first sentence. There were a few times where he read the play better than five blokes around him, got to the fall of the ball, and went to punch (agree with you that he should have marked), messed up the execution and then the ball got behind him. Those times alone were a failure due to being rusty, not having touch, but I think it's incredibly promising for his reading of the play and footy smarts that he got to that position in the first place.

Agree but also disagree a bit with the first sentence. There were a few times where he read the play better than five blokes around him, got to the fall of the ball, and went to punch (agree with you that he should have marked), messed up the execution and then the ball got behind him. Those times alone were a failure due to being rusty, not having touch, but I think it's incredibly promising for his reading of the play and footy smarts that he got to that position in the first place.

We don't disagree that much then mate.

He has ability. Matt Rendell rated him the best KPD of his draft year.

He's just had shitty luck with injury and a very good & resilient Tazz/Thommo combination in his way.

He also needs to work on his judgement. He flat out killed 4-5 balls yesterday which he should have marked.

It's also a mortal sin for a defender to fail in killing the ball whilst taking themselves out of the competition in that act. You NEVER let the ball get behind you, or go to ground failing to execute negating the ball, which results in leaving your opponent unmanned and in the contest.

This is exactly what I meant be saying he lacks presence. He just doesn't kill contests, which is the cardinal sin when you are the third man up. Definitely worth persisting with though.

The commentators mentioned that the rule was changed in the off season. We have have a situation where Burton got off and now Durdin won't which is lovely :drunk:

Burton got off because they changed the rules after LT on Reid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back