Past #24: Sam Durdin - delisted after 21 NM games/1 NM goal - thanks Durds (drafted by Carlton in '22 MSD)

Remove this Banner Ad

This bloke cannot play at all. Should’ve been part of the list cull in the off season imo
I wouldn't say "at all", but he hasn't really come on and with all those ahead of him in the backline, I can't see him making it.

Pity because he's got some skills if not the runs on the board.

Why have we collectively stuck a fork in Durdin?

He looked neat in the games I saw him play, seemed like there was something to work with.

How far off a spot is he, and who is he competing with?

He’s had way too long to show anything and has been meh. Hes had quite a few injuries as well which has constantly set him back

Big wraps on him before picking him up and I think our expectations were possibly too high

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still have faith in Durdin.

He reads the play well and takes a good mark. He definitely needs a huge year next year, otherwise he has been on the list long enough now.

Why have we collectively stuck a fork in Durdin?

He looked neat in the games I saw him play, seemed like there was something to work with.

How far off a spot is he, and who is he competing with?
I think in the end it will be bad timing and lack of opportunity that does him in. He's stuck in the middle ground between banging the door down in the VFL (hasn't quite done it) and having enough talent to make his mark if he gets a shot (I'm still convinced he does). Majak's form probably put paid to his chance at any senior continuity this year, and that combined with BMac's development will probably do the same next year. He might have to stick some pins in a Mason Wood doll and hope he's next in line as the 2nd tall forward. His best game at AFL level was in that role.

I don't put much stock in the lackadaisical/laconic criticisms without knowing more than what we can see on the field. It might be true, it might not; we're not inner scrote. Lachie Hansen had the same reputation but there's no doubting what he put on the line for the cause - no shortage of courage floating across and back into packs, playing hurt, etc. Clearly Durds is motivated enough to pay his way to Utah this year. As Snake says, big year for him.

I'm certainly not writing him off, and I saw him probably as much as anyone who posts here last season.

He shut his opponent down regularly and was the general in the back line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back