Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026 - 7th highest ranked player league-wide after 3 rds - avg. 27.7d & 7clearances p/g

Remove this Banner Ad

RF08's Season Review

Games Played: 13
Avg Disposals: 16.7
Goals: 4
Stat Highlights: Nil
Ranked 10th among rising stars for clearances
Ranked 5th among rising stars for inside 50's

Best Game
Round 6 Vs Fremantle - 25 disposals, 8 marks
Round 7 Vs Melbourne - 23 disposals, 4 marks, 6 tackles

Summary

An impressive first season from our baby faced assassin. During the pre-season he wasn't expected to have much of an immediate impact due to his frame, but he was quick to prove everybody wrong playing the first 14 rounds of the season before succumbing to a hip injury. He was incredibly unlucky not to get a rising star nomination, and had he of played the whole season he would've went close to winning it.

He impressed with his elite vision, handballing, footy IQ and ability to find the ball easily. His ability to find teammates in space was also a hugely impressive feature of his game. With ball in hand he very rarely makes a mistake showing poise and decision making well beyond his years. Prior to the season starting I was also relatively unaware of his tenacity and courage, which he showed on multiple occasions. It's hard to put into words just how high his potential ceiling is. In order to take his game to another level in 2022, he'll have to increase his running capacity and build so that he can compete a little harder with the big boys on the inside. The sky is limit for Tommy Powell.

His vision and smarts were the thing I loved seeing on show. He reminded me very much of Ziebell in his first year and how he thinks through congestion and comes up with novel solutions to effectively move the ball forward.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At pick 13? That is a steal imo. Top 10 pick easy.

In all fairness, 3 spots later than what you'd expect him to go is hardly a steal. I love Powell and think he would be the best first year player we've had in a while, but I would say its more apt to refer to Ford as the 'steal' from last year given his output and where he fell in the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back