Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026 - 7th highest ranked player league-wide after 3 rds - avg. 27.7d & 7clearances p/g

Remove this Banner Ad

In all fairness, 3 spots later than what you'd expect him to go is hardly a steal. I love Powell and think he would be the best first year player we've had in a while, but I would say its more apt to refer to Ford as the 'steal' from last year given his output and where he fell in the draft.
Fair enough. I understand that reasoning. I just think any player considering output that was taken in the teens that is rightfully a top 10 pick is a steal. Can't argue that Ford wasn't a steal. He was.

Fair enough. I understand that reasoning. I just think any player considering output that was taken in the teens that is rightfully a top 10 pick is a steal. Can't argue that Ford wasn't a steal. He was.

when it is all said and done none of this will matter when they retire with a number of premiership medallions. All of the 1st year players bring something different to the team and Lazzaro is the most underrated of that batch imho.

I reckon good drafting is more appropriate than a steal.
Whatever, I'm stoked we got him & can't wait for 2022 & beyond.
And I'm looking forward to Elvis, Charlie, Phoenix, Jacob as well.
And I've got a sneaking suspicion Patrick Walker might come on.

In all fairness, 3 spots later than what you'd expect him to go is hardly a steal. I love Powell and think he would be the best first year player we've had in a while, but I would say its more apt to refer to Ford as the 'steal' from last year given his output and where he fell in the draft.
I have seen somewhere that we had him top 5 on our board (obviously with Phillips higher)

A reminder:

There's pure beauty in that.

Imagine what he'll be like with a few years experience when the game "slows down", as he acclimatises to the pace of AFL.

I'm hoping last year's draft haul will be our version of the super draft Geelong had that set them up for a decade (or two). Top up with this year's draft including pick #1, and front load everyone's contracts. When we start challenging for finals is the time to use the war chest for free agents.

Yeah with pick 13.

So if he ends up better than WillPhill (pick 3), LDU (pick 4), TT (pick 8) and Jy (pick 12) then he's a bloody steal..

Nah.

A first round pick is the most valuable currency there is in recruiting.

You can't get "steals" with first round picks.

We recruited bloody well sure, but at pick 13, you want a good player

Last edited:
Nah.

A first round pick is the most valuable currency there is in recruiting.

You can get "steals" with first round picks.

We recruited bloody well sure, but at pick 13, you want a good player
Sooooo getting a steal definitively starts from pick 19 onward then?.. ok…

Sooooo getting a steal definitively starts from pick 19 onward then?.. ok…

No, I'd say you can't get a steal with a second rounder either.

I'd say steal territory starts after every club has a chance to pick a player a few times and overlooked them.

I would say Geelong's No. 7 2006 pick was a steal. As was Adelaide's pick 10 in 2007. There are numerous steals over the last 15 years in the first round.

Top ten picks are steals?

WHAT?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top ten picks are steals?

WHAT?

You always have to consider what came before the pick. And consider what we chose before the pick. Now, you might be happy with a good servant of the club playing 150 odd games and for a time being a very good player, BUT, I think most people would in retrospect take the six-time All-Australian 300 game Captain, even if he is a ducking cheat.

Many times of draft night we have spoken about what a steal we have gotten as a slider was named by NM in the first round. LDU, Ziebell & Jy are some off the top of my head.

Getting a steal is just a measure of expectations vs reality.

You always have to consider what came before the pick. And consider what we chose before the pick. Now, you might be happy with a good servant of the club playing 150 odd games and for a time being a very good player, BUT, I think most people would in retrospect take the six-time All-Australian 300 game Captain, even if he is a ducking cheat.

Many times of draft night we have spoken about what a steal we have gotten as a slider was named by NM in the first round. LDU, Ziebell & Jy are some off the top of my head.

Getting a steal is just a measure of expectations vs reality.
Agreed.

Petracca at Pick 2 in 2014 was a steal.

You always have to consider what came before the pick.

No you don't.

A top ten pick is the most valuable recruitment tool there is.

There's no steals in the top 10.

Is this for real?

I honestly can't tell.

There might be some confusion between "steal" and "lucky break".

Paddy McCartin was regarded as a future captain and a very smart key forward albeit with some physical risks.

Petracca's ability to take his forward line stageshow to the midfield stage was a big question mark and there were queries over his mental maturity.

That one ended up delisted 7 years later after a string of concussions and the other became a star in a team that got its act together doesn't really qualify the latter as a "steal".

No you don't.

A top ten pick is the most valuable recruitment tool there is.

There's no steals in the top 10.

The picks aren't all equal though. I get what you're saying but if you can get a top 2 or top 5 player with a pick from 7-10 or even 13, that's getting more value than you probably should have. If they ran the draft again, Tom Powell would 100% be gone by pick 13.

The picks aren't all equal though. I get what you're saying but if you can get a top 2 or top 5 player with a pick from 7-10 or even 13, that's getting more value than you probably should have. If they ran the draft again, Tom Powell would 100% be gone by pick 13.

What qualifies them as a top 2 or top 5 player if they're drafted at 7-10 or 13 though?

Unless you're looking back 5-10 years later there are no steals 1 season later.

Powell went exactly where most draft watchers had him. A mid round first round pick.

If he's a steal, the Cam Zurhaar is like robbing Fort Knox.

Aliir Aliir only fears one man

Remove this Banner Ad

Back