Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026 - 7th highest ranked player league-wide after 3 rds - avg. 27.7d & 7clearances p/g

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't get me wrong, his output is solid, I would just prefer he plays more game time.

A couple of games in the twos as a genuine centre square mid (like Phillips) wouldn’t hurt him. If Anderson & Polec were injury free I suspect it may have happened sooner.

Not based on output at all, purely just to get miles in his legs. As you said.

Only 61% TOG.

It's getting to the point where they should run him in the VFL.
Hard to comprehend when our mids were overrun from halfway through the third. Give him a run when the swing was obvious and rest Cunners/LDU so they can run out the last quarter. If he's fit to play, do it for the overall benefit of the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had three or four knock ons that were as effective as handballs

I was more impressed by the 17 tackles, but he clearly doesn't have the rig for inside buffeting yet, and its no surprise he dropped off as the Brisbane inside mids took the ascendancy in the 2nd half.

He does tackle well above his weight range - good technique and fearless.

Yes indeed. He's going to be bigger than I initially assumed once he fill out properly.

Let's be honest though, he's still 2 years away, so this is just a bonus.

Yes indeed. He's going to be bigger than I initially assumed once he fill out properly.

Let's be honest though, he's still 2 years away, so this is just a bonus.

He's very very smart with exceptional vision.

He clearly knows where everyone is before taking possession, sometimes in stupidly busy space - he then needs almost no time to get rid of the ball.

So he can perform -even as a skinny little kid really

He's very very smart with exceptional vision.

He clearly knows where everyone is before taking possession, sometimes in stupidly busy space - he then needs almost no time to get rid of the ball.

So he can perform -even as a skinny little kid really

I dare say his peripheral vision would test well, along with his reflexes.

Just wait until he adds strength & endurance. These "set up plays" pay off better later in matches when the intensity drops.

Rising Star interesting this week. Should be the one where Powell gets rewarded for a body of work but you just know those two goals for Harrison Jones will snare it.

He did lead on the tackle count:)

Other possibles....
Rowell 21 + 7 clearances
Bergman 23 + 6 tackles

Rowell a bit quick and has been a bit poor (watch him torch us next week).

Bergman possible, in the mix.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back