Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026 - 7th highest ranked player league-wide after 3 rds - avg. 27.7d & 7clearances p/g

Remove this Banner Ad

Were their others that watched this kid's draft highlights and even his earlier games thinking that there wasn't anything special that stood out? Sure his usage of the ball by hand or foot is good but nothing really grabbed my attention in terms characteristic skills.

Like what makes him good, why was he considered a round 1 pick in the draft?

But the more I watch the more I'm starting to notice his astuteness around stoppages, pushing forward and finding space.

I'm sold.

Were their others that watched this kid's draft highlights and even his earlier games thinking that there wasn't anything special that stood out? Sure his usage of the ball by hand or foot is good but nothing really grabbed my attention in terms characteristic skills.

Like what makes him good, why was he considered a round 1 pick in the draft?

But the more I watch the more I'm starting to notice his astuteness around stoppages, pushing forward and finding space.

I'm sold.
Its his brain that sets him apart - the split second decision making that seems slow motion to him. All the greats have/had it.

Theres one passage of play today where Tom was streaming off the half back, he went to handball over an incoming defender, but he reassessed in a split second, checked his handball then did a 25 metre kick to a free player on the wing.

His vision and elite decision making are streets ahead and the more the pressure situation the better he responds.

This kid could be the best thing that happened to us since the Duck..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were spoilt in the 90’s.

I want that back.

It’s our first rebuild since the late 80’s which set up our 90’s run. As frustrating as the results are I feel it’s the closest we have been to a flag since the 90’s list hit the wall. We have finally bit the bullet.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Its his brain that sets him apart - the split second decision making that seems slow motion to him. All the greats have/had it.

Theres one passage of play today where Tom was streaming off the half back, he went to handball over an incoming defender, but he reassessed in a split second, checked his handball then did a 25 metre kick to a free player on the wing.

His vision and elite decision making are streets ahead and the more the pressure situation the better he responds.

This kid could be the best thing that happened to us since the Duck..
Early days yet but iam seeing the sort of traits of Cunnington, Sam Mitchell and Greg Williams had which will make him an absolute weapon as he builds some core strength and transitions to the middle. fast forward a couple of seasons and picture him and Jed at stoppages.

750px-OODA.Boyd.svg.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back