Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - 28 possies v Freo (career high) and signs a two year extension to end of 2026.

Welcome to North Melbourne, Tom Powell

@SturtFC/ South Australia | Midfielder 2/03/2002 | 183cm | 74kg

798415.jpg

With pick 13, North Melbourne has selected Tom Powell.

A ball-magnet, Powell averaged 35 disposals, nine clearances and six inside-50s at under-18 level, where he won the McCallum Tomkins Medal as the best player in the SANFL Under-18s.

An elite stoppage player, Powell is at his best in tight spaces and feeding the ball to outside runners.

“Tom is a prolific ball-winner and elite with the ball in hand,” national recruiting manager, Mark Finnigan said.

“He has clean hands and is really impressive around the stoppage and stood up in big moments in 2020.”

The 183-centimetre midfielder was recruited from Sturt/South Australia.

Last edited:
13. Tom Powell
Recruited from: Sturt, SANFL / Scotch College
Position: Medium midfielder
Height: 183cm
Weight: 74kg
DOB: 02/03/02
Cal Twomey’s draft range: 8-20

After an injury-riddled previous two seasons had an outstanding 2020 season, averaging 33.5 disposals (15 contested), eight clearances and kicked 11 goals at Under-18 level to win the league best and fairest and coaches MVP. Has elite hands, vision and is creative in setting up his team. Son of former Adelaide Crows and Sturt defender Matt Powell who was a Jack Oatey Medallist in 2002. Another to star in NAB All-Star game winning 32 possessions (13 contested) in a beaten side for Team Hurn to finish off an outstanding year.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
To say I'm stoked with this selection is an understatement.

I've been huge on him all season so I'm bloody excited to see him grow and thrive at our club.

Kudos mate, a supreme draft for you (and us).

Roos1991

Team Captain
Oct 20, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Two really solid inside mids (when heaps of outside talent was there at both selections) - North shouldn’t be allowed to have first round draft picks.

Back