Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - 28 possies v Freo (career high) and signs a two year extension to end of 2026.

Remove this Banner Ad

Conversation on the weekend.
Kid: dad some guy online just said we gave Melbourne the pick for Kozi Pickett. Is that true?
Me: yep
Kid: oh man, he's really good. What did we get back?
Me: Tom Powell and ...
Kid: oh awesome trade!

This is not actually correct though is it?

Melbourne ontraded our pick 8 to Freo, who nabbed Serong and Melb ended up with Picket & Rivers(?).

So our pick, Apples to Apples was Serong for Powell?

Eitherway, like most in life, everyone should be happy with a 3 way, no?

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Melbourne ontraded our pick 8 to Freo, who nabbed Serong and Melb ended up with Picket & Rivers(?).

Eitherway, like most in life, everyone should be happy with this 3 way, no?

Who knows what some club might have done with the pick when it was handballed on?

The only way I reckon you can look at this is what Melbourne got directly out of the trade, and what North got directly out of the trade.

We made no deal with Fremantle.

Mjs94

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've seen it mentioned here often that we would have drafted Flanders if we didn't trade that pick. Right now it's not even close for mine, Powell > Flanders. Hopefully Perez can come good and we will have done very well.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf

Eitherway, like most in life, everyone should be happy with a 3 way, no?

Particularly in the case where all 3 are happy with the outcome. It can be the case where 2 participants are please and the third looks on enviously.....

Who knows what some club might have done with the pick when it was handballed on?

The only way I reckon you can look at this is what Melbourne got directly out of the trade, and what North got directly out of the trade.

We made no deal with Fremantle.
Geez Snake.... It surprises me you're happy to accept life can be so simple

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Geez Snake.... It surprises me you're happy to accept life can be so simple

It usually tends to get complicated by people who have an i terest in making it that way.

Ultimately, our trade was with Melbourne, so what we got and what they got are the only things that matter.

FFS, some of these next step factors in trades can play out for years as picks are bounced about.

They got Pickett & we got Powell. Both parties would be happy considering where they are currently developed. Melbourne wanted icing, whereas we very much required cake.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
They also split our pick from memory. Ending up with Pickett and Rivers, who also looks quality. Good business all round.

Good for them, because Pickett would be having half the impact in our current setup.

Hell, we picked up Stephenson for peanuts (picks 26 & 33 with 39 coming back), and I would take that trade over Pickett at pick 8 all day long.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Good for them, because Pickett would be having half the impact in our current setup.

Hell, we picked up Stephenson for peanuts (picks 26 & 33 with 39 coming back), and I would take that trade over Pickett at pick 8 all day long.
Steohenson is the pipers bag mate. Full of icing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
1620127889919.png

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Would Tom be top 3 in our B&F?

1 & 2: Ben McKay & Jack Ziebell.
3: Tom Powell & maybe Bonar...?
At the moment I'd have it:

1. Simpkin
2. Ziebell
3. McKay

With the way they do votes though and only count 20 games, I think Cunnington is probably already in the top 5 and if he keeps his current form up, it won't be long until he's 1.

Back