Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026 - 7th highest ranked player league-wide after 3 rds - avg. 27.7d & 7clearances p/g

Remove this Banner Ad

If you are wondering about the credibility of the Rising Star award - just remember, Brent Harvey, despite being a regular player capable of 20 possession and multiple goal games in a good team throughout 1997, and clearly a player of the future, was never nominated.
Yeah but Jizzberts and Blease nominated twice so evens it out. Both powerhouse careers.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you are wondering about the credibility of the Rising Star award - just remember, Brent Harvey, despite being a regular player capable of 20 possession and multiple goal games in a good team throughout 1997, and clearly a player of the future, was never nominated.

In saying that, Byron did win it in 1998

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm well aware of how much we love to pump up our young first year players (insert harper, black ect). Whether or not he becomes elite, would Tommy Powell be the highest rated from our drafting over the last 10 years in terms of potential and expectation?

I'm well aware of how much we love to pump up our young first year players (insert harper, black ect). Whether or not he becomes elite, would Tommy Powell be the highest rated from our drafting over the last 10 years in terms of potential and expectation?

For me it's still Phillips. Different types of players though. In terms of holding their own against men in their first year, I'd have Powell number 1, ahead of Bastinac. He's got tricks Basti didn't have, who competed mostly through being a running machine.

I think Powell is the best talent since Wells. The best first year by a rookie since Wells. Some would have LDU ahead in terms of talent but I think it's pretty close.

Nothing is guaranteed, but his potential is that bankable that I'm worried about the SA teams poaching him. They wont be able to resist having a go at him.

I think Powell is the best talent since Wells. The best first year by a rookie since Wells. Some would have LDU ahead in terms of talent but I think it's pretty close.

Nothing is guaranteed, but his potential is that bankable that I'm worried about the SA teams poaching him. They wont be able to resist having a go at him.

His great VIC. teammates will make sure he has a reason to stay.

and " HEATH " Get the Vic.girlfriend happening mate please !

You forgot Urquhart

You forgot Urquhart

There is one other who it’s really too painful to mention. Suffice to say, he could have been our greatest player in the last 20 years but wound up playing computer games with the Saints. He blamed our medical guys - as if that’s ever been a thing...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back