Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026 - 7th highest ranked player league-wide after 3 rds - avg. 27.7d & 7clearances p/g

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesse W. I can still remember him waltzing through the Essendon midfield at the G one day kicking a goal after about 5 bounces. Sigh.

Round 7 2007 at Docklands on a Friday night. Was inside the first three minutes - big Leigh Brown got a free in the goal square before the ball had been bounced as well.

Jesse W. I can still remember him waltzing through the Essendon midfield at the G one day kicking a goal after about 5 bounces. Sigh.

I have little doubt that he would have been the best North player of the 2000's up until this point (including a fit Wells & Cunnington).

Who knows how 2014-2016 might have turned out if not for that blasted ankle?

Tom has not been getting as much on ball time and as such has not been involved.
Ned to look at more time in the middle as he is so creative

Funnily enough one of the SC weekly wrap articles in the Herald Sun was saying the opposite, he’s spending more time on the ball in stoppages over the last few weeks and while his clearances have gone up slightly he’s not touching it as much.

Tom has not been getting as much on ball time and as such has not been involved.
Ned to look at more time in the middle as he is so creative

Who would you take out though? Thomas has thrived with more midfield time and LDU, Simpkin, Cunnington are not going anywhere. I think at the moment it’s a case of Powell being more useful in other parts of the ground compared to the above players mentioned (apart from Thomas). We might not be seeing the best of Powell, but structurally we’re more sound.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Funnily enough one of the SC weekly wrap articles in the Herald Sun was saying the opposite, he’s spending more time on the ball in stoppages over the last few weeks and while his clearances have gone up slightly he’s not touching it as much.
Bizarre. I didn’t go on Sunday, but on tv his attendance at CB especially seemed almost non existent.

Bizarre. I didn’t go on Sunday, but on tv his attendance at CB especially seemed almost non existent.

I will admit, I found it surprising.

Here's the snippet from the article.

5. Centre-bounce attendances has become a key stat for committed KFC SuperCoaches, with the number often an indication of how lucrative a player’s role is. But it doesn’t always translate to points on the board. Kangaroos youngster Tom Powell’s CBAs have spiked from 24 per cent over the first eight rounds to 50 per cent in the past two weeks, and his clearances are up slightly from an average of 1.5 to two per game. But his numbers are down everywhere else — he averaged 18.9 disposals from Rounds 1-8 and just 12 the past two weeks, marks are down from 4.6 to 1.0 and groundball gets have dropped from 5.6 to 1.5. Given those stats it’s no surprise his KFC SuperCoach average has fallen off a cliff, down from 77.3 over the first eight rounds to 47 over the past two weeks.

Based on IG posts, the gf is spending too much time missing Adelaide / being in Adelaide for my liking. I sense he may have, what he will deem to be, a big decision pending.

Edit: I should preface this by saying that I have no idea what I am talking about and she may be extremely supportive lol~

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard a recruiter say that with interstate draftees usually the first year is difficult but by year 2 they have brought in to the group and the club.

Based on IG posts, the gf is spending too much time missing Adelaide / being in Adelaide for my liking. I sense he may have, what he will deem to be, a big decision pending.

Edit: I should preface this by saying that I have no idea what I am talking about and she may be extremely supportive lol~

She’s moved over to study at Melb Uni. Don’t think there is any issue.

Regardless, how many AFL players stay with their high school sweet heart?

Here is a question how often does a player get nominated late in the season then win it ? Do players who win it normally get nominated in the first few weeks of the year ?
It used to be by about Round 6 or 7 but that's dropped off in the last few years.

Digressing, I may never get over Lewis Taylor beating the Bont. $100 @ $5.50.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Did I see him running a lot with Merrett on the weekend? If so, its good for his development.

He is/ will get tired and at some point I would like to see him get a few weeks in the VFL as a ball hunting on-baller to implement what he has learned so far this year. He would abso*******lutely dominate and his confidence will skyrocket.

Did I see him running a lot with Merrett on the weekend? If so, its good for his development.

He is/ will get tired and at some point I would like to see him get a few weeks in the VFL as a ball hunting on-baller to implement what he has learned so far this year. He would abso*******lutely dominate and his confidence will skyrocket.
Would be good to give Phillips 2 more weeks in the VFL and then swap them post bye.

Here is a question how often does a player get nominated late in the season then win it ? Do players who win it normally get nominated in the first few weeks of the year ?

Daniel Talia was Rd 12, O'Meara 5, Taylor 9, Hogan 9, Mills 16, McGrath 4, Stephenson 4, Walsh 4, Serong 8.

The answer is not often, but achievable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back