Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026 - 7th highest ranked player league-wide after 3 rds - avg. 27.7d & 7clearances p/g

Remove this Banner Ad

Would love to see him go head to head with Boak around the stoppages on the weekend, not as a stopper, just go head to head. Give him the chance to play his natural inside role against an elite runner and decision maker in Boak. He'll win his fair share of footy, but it will also be a very big learning curve for the kid.

Just want to see him play inside. Let me play his natural game.

His twos games in the past year or so have taught Powell to never run at top speed and to be stationary at stoppages. In his first afl games he did neither of those things. We may have ruined this one. Hopefully he has just been sulking and can still turn it on.

… or, maybe, second year blues. I’m told that happens. Rowell started like Ablett in his prime. Then he got injured and his second year was very quiet. He still hasn’t approached his output in his first couple of games. If we weren’t so crap overall, Powell’s issues wouldn’t be so angsty for us.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would love to see him go head to head with Boak around the stoppages on the weekend, not as a stopper, just go head to head. Give him the chance to play his natural inside role against an elite runner and decision maker in Boak. He'll win his fair share of footy, but it will also be a very big learning curve for the kid.

Are you a late in? :cool:

… or, maybe, second year blues. I’m told that happens. Rowell started like Ablett in his prime. Then he got injured and his second year was very quiet. He still hasn’t approached his output in his first couple of games. If we weren’t so crap overall, Powell’s issues wouldn’t be so angsty for us.

It's definitely a thing

My concern is that his second year blues are so bad that he is ineffectual at vfl level. His game last week was appalling. Hardly got it and has started throwing the ball on the boot in an odd fashion. He was so much better than that early last season.

My concern is that his second year blues are so bad that he is ineffectual at vfl level. His game last week was appalling. Hardly got it and has started throwing the ball on the boot in an odd fashion. He was so much better than that early last season.

Fair enough. Strange that we’ve brought him back in, then. That suggests to me that our coaching staff reckon his problems are “between his ears”. We’re backing him in to try and kick-start his confidence? Fingers are well and truly crossed.

Fair enough. Strange that we’ve brought him back in, then. That suggests to me that our coaching staff reckon his problems are “between his ears”. We’re backing him in to try and kick-start his confidence? Fingers are well and truly crossed.

If you look at what's left, there wasn't too many options.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Not working with a decent ruckman tbf. He is just a kid himself, and as we have seen with the team selection, there ain't much senior help for him out there. Hopefully playing with better players around him will improve his output.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t know why we’re so concerned on Tom and Phillips.
Tom knows how to AFL football.
I wonder if JHF coming in and taking the limelight from Will Phill, Powell and co has something to do with their dip?

Side note, If phillips wasn’t 100 percent from glandular, there is no way they would be playing him in cold, wet conditions so soon. What 3 weeks later? Risk him getting pneumonia? Officials would have there licenses removed for negligence if it was so bad.
And please. People talking about how bad glandular is and using their own stories of being knocked out for a year or so. I’m not saying it isn’t bad, but remember, everyone reacts differently.
Obviously phillips immune system is pretty good as it has allowed him to get back into vfl games.

Give him a license to be positive and hunt the footy.

Sure I get the whole "work on his game at VFL to improve deficiencies etc" but he's a natural ball getter and clean user by hand as we saw last year.

Keep it simple for him based on why we drafted Tom and i'm confident he can deliver.

Like Goldy I do expect him to pick up the gauntlet IF in fact he has been grumbling for not getting his way

There’s no need to be concerned about Tom Powell in the now, when its clear as daylights that if he stays at the club, no matter what the club does to try and even * up his development he is as natural as it comes as a footballer. He’s born and bred SA natural class with Cunnington tier handballing skills in his first year, when he’s in his prime he’s going to be an absolute beast.

I’m just glad he did whatever time he had to as a result of whatever the coaches wanted him to do, fitness, routines, game plan whatever, and he’s back in.

He doesn’t have the core strength to go head to head with someone like Boak.

I watched him pretty closely when they did throw in contest work this week. He easily got held out of the contest by literally everyone he lined up on. His best bet at the moment is to play off an opponent back himself in to read the play and win the footy that way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back