Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026 - 7th highest ranked player league-wide after 3 rds - avg. 27.7d & 7clearances p/g

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom is an inside mid and he doesn't have the physique to play there yet but when does get a go he goes alright but struggles on the flanks.

An injury free pre season would do him the world of good. I also think he would be an ideal pairing when Cunners is back to do the heavy lifting and Tom could slip into inside/outside along with LDU.

Cunners, Powell, LDU is a nice midfield mix
Good post, reckon he is going to fill out nicely as well. apparently his old man was solid. Out of our young mids reckon he is most like cunners replacement

Tom is an inside mid and he doesn't have the physique to play there yet but when does get a go he goes alright but struggles on the flanks.

An injury free pre season would do him the world of good. I also think he would be an ideal pairing when Cunners is back to do the heavy lifting and Tom could slip into inside/outside along with LDU.

Cunners, Powell, LDU is a nice midfield mix

That is a fair assessment.

Was Sam Walsh any more developed physically and he coped ok inside from game one - still is light, but a gun player inside and out.

Why can't Powell go inside as trust me he can't do any worse than Greenwood surely and AFL is the softest in terms of physical hits as it's ever been?

That is a fair assessment.

Was Sam Walsh any more developed physically and he coped ok inside from game one - still is light, but a gun player inside and out.

Why can't Powell go inside as trust me he can't do any worse than Greenwood surely and AFL is the softest in terms of physical hits as it's ever been?
Walsh was a fair size to begin with. Not Rowell like more Noah Anderson. Powell was a twig and copped OP.

Powell is not conditioned to play inside, he needs another big pre season in the gym to build him up.

Walsh was a fair size to begin with. Not Rowell like more Noah Anderson. Powell was a twig and copped OP.

Ok then as he looks a bit lost on the outside imo. I thought Walsh was pretty small too?

Almost like he's learning a new position in the best league in Aust, just seems a bit unfair.

Big pre-season then and hope he can show us his talent where he is suited to.

With the midfield depth coming through, anyone not named LDU is going to need another string to their bow.

Cunnington, LDU, Simpkin, JHF, Phillips, Powell, Thomas, pick 1 ....

They can't all play 100% game time in the middle.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Thomas off HB/HF, Powell in the guts, Phillips in the guts/HF, Sheezel on the wing, Simpkin in the guts, Cunnington guts/FF, LDU in the guts:

Best 22 Midfield:

HB: Thomas Corr Goater

C: Stephenson LDU Sheezel

HF: JHF Comben Phillips

R: Goldstein Simpkin Powell

I: Anderson Scott Young (Cunnington)

The impact of Tom having OP and the constraints that would have had on his prep is often understated. I think he needs a some more S&C work over the summer, and even then he still won't be right there for full time mid.

LDU and Jy took probably 4 to 5 years before they had consistent output, and even then people still reckon they aren't fit at times. OP on Luke really hampered him for a couple years, but the silver lining is a targeted S&C program to build up through the pelvis and core has him shaking off multiple tacklers, an asset from his juniors that hadn't quite translated into playing against the bigger bodies. Tom will be an animal, just not for a couple years. And if he has a run in the 2s here and there until he gets there, that's ok too.

TAO is. I mean he couches it in a bit of fence sitting, but at heart he has tagged him "shitmen"

Yes he is statistically right in the mix for shitmen status. JZ is being hammered on these boards gets the ball 13.83 disposals per game. Powells gets it 14.56.

Now apparently he's fine and probably injured. He lacks intensity is all I've said. Looks slow and not that interested.

Happy to sit and wait, I see he's listed as 184cm and 75kg. That is probably part of the issue. I'm 185cm 81kg's and think of myself as light.

Bailey Scott is listed as 186cm 77kg's.

He needs to put on 4/5 kg's during the off season. No reason he can't.

Yes he is statistically right in the mix for shitmen status. JZ is being hammered on these boards gets the ball 13.83 disposals per game. Powells gets it 14.56.

Now apparently he's fine and probably injured. He lacks intensity is all I've said. Looks slow and not that interested.

Happy to sit and wait, I see he's listed as 184cm and 75kg. That is probably part of the issue. I'm 185cm 81kg's and think of myself as light.

Serious groin/hip issues as a junior, load management etc. Peeps were bagging LDU as a bust when he had his core strength issues, look at him now.

Tommy has 'it' in spades. Just needs to get his body right. 3 years younger than LDU.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, you're clutching at straws if you need to justify your criticism of Powell by comparing him to an end of career Ziebell.

A better comparison is against all second year players across the comp.

JZ vs Powell haha Come on

Mate, you're clutching at straws if you need to justify your criticism of Powell by comparing him to an end of career Ziebell.

Ziebs plays with intensity, something young Powells lacks currently. I'd drop Powells and get him in the gym starting now. He cannot compete weighing 75kg's

Return when you look a little more manly. Will be very interesting how some of these youngsters go under say a Clarkson.

I mentioned JZ due to his intent only. He is close to finished and Powells is starting out. That is obvious to all.

The third year was an important one for guys like Cunnington, Thomas, LDU, and Simpkin.

You could argue all of them broke out mid year and showed elite signs in an inconsistent season. Hopefully we see the same from Powell next year. I’d be happy with an inconsistent year with a BOG performance or two sprinkled in.

The same could apply to Phillips, but given how interrupted his 2020 and 2022 were I think we’ll need to be a lot more patient.

The third year was an important one for guys like Cunnington, Thomas, LDU, and Simpkin.

You could argue all of them broke out mid year and showed elite signs in an inconsistent season. Hopefully we see the same from Powell next year. I’d be happy with an inconsistent year with a BOG performance or two sprinkled in.

The same could apply to Phillips, but given how interrupted his 2020 and 2022 were I think we’ll need to be a lot more patient.
Wonder if we'll need to stretch out the development timeframes for all our current young players. And ( :( ) maybe cap their upper limit slightly.

Because between Covid and our historically bad football program the last 3 years, normal timeframes probably won't apply.

Cunnington catches my eye in your statement. He probably tracked to normal development pace (I'm sure I was an impatient twit about it at times though) but he was able to come into a team with Swallow, Greenwood (emerging), Ziebell, Wells, Harvey et al all doing a bit. And a reasonably structured AFL side.

Anyone who has had to develop 2020+ in our side has done so with little to no support around them. So I'm guessing their entire development path will be stretched out for when (hopefully not 'if') we have the conditions in place for them to flourish.

Wonder if we'll need to stretch out the development timeframes for all our current young players. And ( :( ) maybe cap their upper limit slightly.

Because between Covid and our historically bad football program the last 3 years, normal timeframes probably won't apply.

Cunnington catches my eye in your statement. He probably tracked to normal development pace (I'm sure I was an impatient twit about it at times though) but he was able to come into a team with Swallow, Greenwood (emerging), Ziebell, Wells, Harvey et al all doing a bit. And a reasonably structured AFL side.

Anyone who has had to develop 2020+ in our side has done so with little to no support around them. So I'm guessing their entire development path will be stretched out for when (hopefully not 'if') we have the conditions in place for them to flourish.

Accurate and depressing. Who knows how the 2019 and onwards groups will perform after dealing with the failed Shaw and Noble eras, a global pandemic, and 9 wins in three years.

Looking purely at disposals this season (and excluding key position players as they tend not be be accumulators anyway), here's Tom's contemporaries from his draft year:

Braeden Campbell - 10.83
Archie Perkins - 12.6
Tanner Bruhn - 12.66
Heath Chapman - 18.5
Lachie Jones - 10.85
Max Holmes - 14.9
Sam Berry - 17.6
Nathan O’Driscoll - 15.2
Jake Bowey - 17.1
Errol Gulden - 19.6
Brandon Walker - 13.7
Tom Powell - 14.6

Average of this group: 14.84

Def feels like he’s regressed a bit this year so hopefully just 2nd year blues or still working way back from OP.

Reckon he’s the best field kick in the club when on

I think we need to give Tom and the rest of the first and second year players a free pass. What a horrible year to be trying to develop your game and establish yourself as part of the best 22. Wipe the slate clean, have a great preseason and reassess this time next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back