Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - 28 possies v Freo (career high) and signs a two year extension to end of 2026.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Indeed.

Do I actually need to clarify that I wasn't being serious and I actually haven't watched that once a week, or indeed, once a month?

I’m not budging.

Your Tom Cruise manifesto moment will be brought up til the end of the days.

I personally have you in the same category as Sol Campbell, Josh Gibson and a few others.

It’s amazing how you can support a club with Levy as president, yet when we try to get all Daniel Levy and exploit value, you think we are all ****ed up.

Shame on you mate.

I had you at an 8.5(which is a very high personal ranking I might add), but you’ll never be above 4.25 in my eyes ever again. GAGF.

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m not budging.

Your Tom Cruise manifesto moment will be brought up til the end of the days.

I personally have you in the same category as Sol Campbell, Josh Gibson and a few others.

It’s amazing how you can support a club with Levy as president, yet when we try to get all Daniel Levy and exploit value, you think we are all f’ed up.

Shame on you mate.

I had you at an 8.5(which is a very high personal ranking I might add), but you’ll never be above 4.25 in my eyes ever again. GAGF.
Ouch. Now that is some condemnation that is downright withering. I don't know where to start: whether to be insulted at the Sol Campbell comment, point out that Levy's a massive awful campaigner, or plead for the chance at a redemptive arc that would make Ben Jacobs proud.

And a small part wants me to see if I can get lower than a 4.25.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Honestly has anyone ever seen vision like this from an 18 year old?.. He’s reading the game three steps ahead of his opponent.

Need to give him a nickname.. thoughts?..

Tom ‘The Surgeon’ Powell, or Tom ‘The Doctor’ Powell? - he does it with so much precision.

Very few players of any age have that sort of time and spacial awareness. I played on a couple of blokes over my playing days with a tenth of that kind of ability and it's downright frustrating as on opponent. You try corralling them, knocking them of their line, blocking them, scragging them etc but they just seem to read the play in slow motion. The faster you try to counteract them the more time they seem to have to find an exit. This guy Tom reminds me of these kind of players a lot. And then he has the skill to execute. Simpkin and Cunners are the only blokes with similar attributes of evasiveness. Pretty good company to share attributes with.

Imo JHF is a very different player. I reckon his attack on the ball and his power/acceleration are his best attributes. He also seems to get his centre of gravity down low so even harder to knock of his line. The awesome thing is if we get JHF these to blokes will complement one another perfectly.

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Honestly has anyone ever seen vision like this from an 18 year old?.. He’s reading the game three steps ahead of his opponent.

Tom ‘The Surgeon’ Powell, or Tom ‘The Doctor’ Powell? - he does it with so much precision.

Tommy "Tarot Card" Powell

Attachments

• 1634073790781.png
    1634073790781.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 83

speedy

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2001
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Can't wait to watch him again next year, he's been a little forgotten. Could be special. So many shiny new toys to watch next year.... JHF, Powell, Phillips, Comben, CCJ, Ford and hopefully Perez can get on the park too. Not to mention LDU and Thomas going next level. Hopefully this covid s**t is done and we can watch some live footy next year. Can't wait.

The Dougster

All Australian
Dec 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Can't wait to watch him again next year, he's been a little forgotten. Could be special. So many shiny new toys to watch next year.... JHF, Powell, Phillips, Comben, CCJ, Ford and hopefully Perez can get on the park too. Not to mention LDU and Thomas going next level. Hopefully this covid sh*t is done and we can watch some live footy next year. Can't wait.
Larkey, Zurhaar and Benny McKay to become certified by the end of next season. Can't wait to see more of Corr also

teethmeetsflesh

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Any updates on Powell? Are we expecting him to have a full preseason or is the groin issue lingering? His socials seem to indicate that he's still back home - when do we expect the first and second year players back?

Wayne Campbell

Senior List
Sep 27, 2015
North Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

He’s Neo from the Matrix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think it’s probably fair to say we don’t know how Powell is tracking at the moment. OP last year, no real training updates and pre season yet to commence.

It also probably seems fair to assume that Tom, along with some other youngsters might not see as much inside onball time this year, assuming Cunners, greenwood and Anderson are all playing.

That’s not such a bad thing in Powell’s case because not only do we want to protect his smaller frame but he also seems to be very versatile.

So where is he playing in 2022?

The wing seems a natural fit for him. Maybe with a small component forward.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think it’s probably fair to say we don’t know how Powell is tracking at the moment. OP last year, no real training updates and pre season yet to commence.

It also probably seems fair to assume that Tom, along with some other youngsters might not see as much inside onball time this year, assuming Cunners, greenwood and Anderson are all playing.

That’s not such a bad thing in Powell’s case because not only do we want to protect his smaller frame but he also seems to be very versatile.

So where is he playing in 2022?

The wing seems a natural fit for him. Maybe with a small component forward.

Noble is a realistic guy with a clear vision of bringing these young guys on. He even stated he's brought in Greenwood to protect the young players.

He's not going to rob Peter to pay Paul.

No way he plays all of Cunnington, Anderson and Greenwood in the same midfield at the expense of LDU, Thomas, Powell, Phillips, JHF. Powell or Phillips might play a bit of VFL this year, certainly, but not at the expense of Anderson AND Greenwood imo.

I think we will see a lot of Cunnington and Greenwood up forward and a lot of Jed in the VFL tbh.

Eggs11

All Australian
Jul 18, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Noble is a realistic guy with a clear vision of bringing these young guys on. He even stated he's brought in Greenwood to protect the young players.

No way he plays all of Cunnington, Anderson and Greenwood in the same midfield at the expense of LDU, Thomas, Powell, Phillips, JHF. Powell or Phillips might play a bit of VFL this year, certainly, but not at the expense of Anderson AND Greenwood imo.

I think we will see a lot of Cunnington and Greenwood up forward and a lot of Jed in the VFL tbh.

Have we had any update on Cunners’ health? I hope he’s going ok.

If Powell has recovered well from his injury last year, I’d be very disappointed if he doesn’t become one of the first players selected each week - from R1. The handball dexterity that he possesses is deadset God-given. It absolutely cannot be coached or stopped. “Glass half full” me.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I thought Powell's ball use was just as devastating on the outside last year. He's just a natural footballer and will play well wherever we put him this year outside of the midfield.

that's the kind of guy you want playing on the ball though. it's not like we miss out on ben cunnington's kicking because he's too busy handballing

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
that's the kind of guy you want playing on the ball though. it's not like we miss out on ben cunnington's kicking because he's too busy handballing
Powell's handballing away from the contest is a really unique weapon. I don't think he'll be given as much time and space going forward though. His best position is on-ball but I'm hoping he can show some real versatility in his career.

Back