Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026 - 7th highest ranked player league-wide after 3 rds - avg. 27.7d & 7clearances p/g

Remove this Banner Ad

Hugh yes but Jed is about the only player that hits the contest consistently and pushes the ball forward. He is a bunt object but I can't see skill doing much at the moment, considering we have dearth of it.
Pushes the ball forward? He averages 10 effective disposals a game and less metres gained than Jy. Jed and Hugh are liabilities in the middle. Chuck tom powell in the 1st string rotation now, he has had a block of senior footy now

Goldstein/CCJ/Xerri +LDU, Powell, Jed should be centre square squad we use for the majority of the time.

Jed there as protection.

Powell to extract it.

LDU to blaze away with explosive speed.

Use Jed across HF when resting.

Use Powell for his IQ and kicking across HB when resting.

Use LDU’s explosive line-breaking behind the ball when middle rotations need a point of difference.

Why the hell is this so hard to see?

Goldstein/CCJ/Xerri +LDU, Powell, Jed should be centre square squad we use for the majority of the time.

Jed there as protection.

Powell to extract it.

LDU to blaze away with explosive speed.

Use Jed across HF when resting.

Use Powell for his IQ and kicking across HB when resting.

Use LDU’s explosive line-breaking behind the ball when middle rotations need a point of difference.

Why the hell is this so hard to see?
Jed forward or not at all

Him hacking kicks is not what we need

Get the ball use of Powell, TT and sleevo in there in combination with LDU and JHF

Get the ball use of Powell, TT and sleevo in there in combination with LDU and JHF
Seriously you’ve got blinkers on - Jy does the same thing but without any defensive pressure

How to over complicate and destroy an extremely promising kid 101 - Author: David Noble.

The sequel?

How to destroy an extremely promising kid before he even gets a shot - The Josh Goater Story of being played at Full Back in the VFL - Author: David Noble.
Now, now.

Flexibility trumps mastering a position. Havnt you heard?

We are the kings of 'x training' players in positions they simply can't excel in. Can't say I've ever seen Andrew Brayshaw playing quarters at a time at HF.

You play your best clearance players at cba's, not slow as treacle defensively minded mids who cant catch the oppo even when they do get it.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

We actually need at least one player who can be a meat shield- protect space, tackle, block/shepherd to release the other two. While Cunnington usually is the extractor, he also acts this role too. Until he returns, we need Jed in there to protect Powell.

We actually need at least one player who can be a meat shield- protect space, tackle, block/shepherd to release the other two. While Cunnington usually is the extractor, he also acts this role too. Until he returns, we need Jed in there to protect Powell.
LDU is a big boy he doesn’t need big plodders like greenwood or Jed around him

Surround him with speed and class

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LDU is a big boy he doesn’t need big plodders like greenwood or Jed around him

Surround him with speed and class
Tend to agree. What he does need is some defensive minds around him that aren't chasing the clearance because when he gets a run at the ball he is very difficult to stop (as opposed to most our mids who get wrapped up or congested clearances).

I'd say LDU, Powell and a more general all round defensive mid would be a good mix. I'd like to see JHF back more to HF (as long as he gets bursts in there to keep him interested if we're not getting the ball forward). Simpkin should be more wing side and floating forward as he just doesn't get separation often enough as first in and he isn't defensive enough when he's not.

Thomas, Jed and another more all round mid would probably be a good mix for the other grouping with Stephenson on the wing.

Stepho and Jy simply have to be more accountable defensively whilst pushing hard forward on the attack. They are not babies.

Not strong enough yet.
I wonder if anyone posting in the last few pages has seen how often he gets pushed off the ball in contests. Especially against big, mature mids. When he stands next to an opponent and tries to hold his position he gets pushed away too easily.

This might be why he doesn't get as much centre square time. He is great in traffic while moving, has great situational awareness too but often he gets pushed off balance and misses the first step toward a contest or the whole contest. (This happens to Jy as well.) He'll be fine in a few years (if he hits the weights) but he isn't strong enough yet.

I wonder if anyone posting in the last few pages has seen how often he gets pushed off the ball in contests. Especially against big, mature mids. When he stands next to an opponent and tries to hold his position he gets pushed away too easily.

This might be why he doesn't get as much centre square time. He is great in traffic while moving, has great situational awareness too but often he gets pushed off balance and misses the first step toward a contest or the whole contest. (This happens to Jy as well.) He'll be fine in a few years (if he hits the weights) but he isn't strong enough yet.
He still has a great centre bounce attendance to centre clearance ratio, but I kind of agree. We've been playing +1 around the stoppage a bit, and I'd prefer that be Powell rather than Taylor or Perez. I think that's his go while he builds strength.

I agree with this entirely. What I don't understand is why he engages his opponent if he knows this will be the result. It puts him at an immediate disadvantage.

Whilst he builds strength he should back in his speed and nous to beat his opponent rather than body strength. Sure, he needs to be within contact but stop leaning in to engage as fully.

He still has a great centre bounce attendance to centre clearance ratio, but I kind of agree. We've been playing +1 around the stoppage a bit, and I'd prefer that be Powell rather than Taylor or Perez. I think that's his go while he builds strength.
Yeah, I agree. He's great on the move in (or out of) traffic. That situational awareness is almost supernatural. Also getting the ball to him after a centre clearance where possible, or the last touch before we get the clearance if he's running off the edge of the centre square at bounces. Instead of leaving him in the middle against guys with another five years of muscle and contested work behind them.

I agree with this entirely. What I don't understand is why he engages his opponent if he knows this will be the result. It puts him at an immediate disadvantage.

Whilst he builds strength he should back in his speed and nous to beat his opponent rather than body strength. Sure, he needs to be within contact but stop leaning in to engage as fully.
He's learning. Maybe he is coached to. But I've also seen other players step to engage him, put him off balance and then move. He'll learn from that tho. Guys like TT and JHF had a few years in state leagues to learn how to cope against bigger bodies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back