Player Watch #24: Trent Rivers – signed to 2027

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
He might have AA representation in his future. For a HB flanker to get it in his second year playing a quiet, low-stakes team oriented role would be weird though. It’s just a weird call.
I suppose that's the point of the article except they use the term 'fearless'. In the article's defense it only said AA 'contention'

I was actually thinking that one of rivers, Jackson or Pickett dominates and is nearly AA. Actually rate that prediction. Rivers is a sexy beast.

Jackson doesn't have the bulk to dominate and Pickett plays the hardest position to dominate in.

Rivers might have a chance but every year an attacking half back gets some kicks and people get super excited, only for more seasoned veterans to take those spots.

Jackson doesn't have the bulk to dominate and Pickett plays the hardest position to dominate in.

Rivers might have a chance but every year an attacking half back gets some kicks and people get super excited, only for more seasoned veterans to take those spots.
I agree with Pickett, probably won't have a massive impact for a little while. Jackson is a different breed though, he could play on a wing and be the kick out of defence every time or he could be a link up forward. There were also some photos going around and he's really starting to get some big muscles. Rivers plays a pretty easy role and has been able to slot in seamlessly. He dominated against Gws last year and he put in some solid games towards the end of the year. I like to compare these three to Rozee, Butters, Duursma. Jackson is like Rozee, in that they both could be anything. Butters and Rivers are both very established players and they have their role in the side and hold their own. Pickett and Duursma always show glimpses but go missing at times and they each have a long way to go.

Rivers has played like eight games, I’d wait until opposition teams start putting more time into him before going too hard. Hasn’t had to be very accountable in his career so far. Pickett IMO has had to contend with the most attention of the three and has still looked pretty good. Finds his own space and time.

Keen to see the three of them live for the first time. Would love to see LJ usurp Rowell as the RS favourite with some good footy early

I’m wondering whether we might be best to develop his running, as opposed to bulking him up for a ruck/KPF?
His key weapon in the ruck is his jump, he has Nic Nat level hops. I reckon similar program to Gawn, build up a massive tank and just get strong enough to not get pushed around. If he can run, his leap will protect him in the ruck while he bulks up.

I’m wondering whether we might be best to develop his running, as opposed to bulking him up for a ruck/KPF?

I think he needs bulk right now. How many skinny 2 metre tall hybrid wingmen have flourished?

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think he needs bulk right now. How many skinny 2 metre tall hybrid wingmen have flourished?

He has some pretty unique traits. I don’t think he’s going to be a run and carry type but if he can cover a lot of ground, he will take a lot of marks and still be able to get involved at ground level.

Certainly needs to bebigger than he currently is either way of course.

Considering what happened to the last bloke who won a RS for us, I could give 2 fu**s if Rivers gets near it.
What about the last Rivers who won a RS for us? ;)

It’s a faff award for sure and not much more than a bit of fun - but given the list of past winners you’d still rather win it than not

He looks really promising but cool your jets everyone. A lot would have to go right for him to end up anything like the player he is capable of being.

Kade Simpson and Christian Salem are, on paper, similar players. When you watch them play, Simpson had something that Salem doesn't. I don't even know what that thing is. But its something. And it made a big difference. Unless something changes, Salem will retire a really solid 200-gamer while Simpson bowed out a universally renowned almost 350-game player.

Remains to be seen if Riv has that thing that separates exceptional HBFs from good ones.

adonski

All Australian
Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
He looks really promising but cool your jets everyone. A lot would have to go right for him to end up anything like the player he is capable of being.

Kade Simpson and Christian Salem are, on paper, similar players. When you watch them play, Simpson had something that Salem doesn't. I don't even know what that thing is. But its something. And it made a big difference. Unless something changes, Salem will retire a really solid 200-gamer while Simpson bowed out a universally renowned almost 350-game player.

Remains to be seen if Riv has that thing that separates exceptional HBFs from good ones.
Simpson is overrated as *. Lucky he played for Carlton

Back