Delisted #25: Alex Morgan - Signed with North Melbourne as a DFA - 1/11/17 - delisted again - 25/10/18

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope he comes on next year and proves all the doubters wrong.

He has had 1 year in the system and people are already calling him a bust.

Pathetic.
I'm not saying he's a bust but his VFL season was extremely disappointing for me. Especially in regards to defending players. He just sits way too far off them every single game.

His highlights reel from TAC cup looks very good, I'm sure with a bit of confidence and a few preseasons he will come good

I feel as though people genuinely want to see this guy fail.

Wow, this is the one of the earliest whipping boys I can remember. Hasn't played a game and struggled with injuries in his first year. Give him this year and see how he responds.

I have no idea whether he'll make it or not. He definitely does have some nice attributes, but he clearly needs a shot of confidence for mine. Some have been far too quick to write him off though.

One thing I genuinely don't have a read on; what kind of player can we expect him to be? I find him the hardest to read draftee we've had in some time, to be honest.

Kakkle
BrunoV
ant555

I'd be especially interested in your thoughts on this.

Could be something he got away with at junior level due to his pace but needs to adjust playing against men. To do so he needs to get on the park.
His poor defence has cost us multiple games and other than the Coburg game he offered * all the other way. He needs dramatic improvement to stay on the list next year IMO

What do you mean "cost us multiple games"?
His slack defending against Sandringham (playing on Lonie, who kicked 6 in a 3 goal win), Port Melbourne (can't remember who he played on but his man kicked 3 in a 7 point win) and Coburg (Cauchi kicked 3 and had 3-4 goal assists in a 19 point win) were seriously poor. I don't like blaming solitary players but his inability to defend; coupled with the fact he's averaging 12 disposals a game; is costing us games right now.

Not even sure he's VFL best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh, you actually meant exactly that.

It's a development team, Ethan. Blaming him for losses is a serious overreaction.
I agree; but when does it get to a point where you cut your losses? He needs major improvement to get to VFL standard right now.

Not really.

Yes he had an underwhelming year compared to other first year players, but it's also probably not unexpected given his injuries.

Just have to be patient. No use at all in not playing him.

His slack defending against Sandringham (playing on Lonie, who kicked 6 in a 3 goal win), Port Melbourne (can't remember who he played on but his man kicked 3 in a 7 point win) and Coburg (Cauchi kicked 3 and had 3-4 goal assists in a 19 point win) were seriously poor. I don't like blaming solitary players but his inability to defend; coupled with the fact he's averaging 12 disposals a game; is costing us games right now.

Not even sure he's VFL best 22.
Can't remember who he played on but know that they kicked 3?

:D Good one Eth.

In the games I saw of him it was concerning to see no noticeable speed from him at all. Perhaps doing his hamstrings had a large effect on him and he can overcome this in the preseason. However, if he continues to not have stand out pace, I will agree with ethan and say that he'll struggle to be a decent VFL player, let alone AFL.

I miss the days where 1st year draftees didn't need to win a Brownlow for people to be satisfied with their selection.
Blame Heppell, Merrett, Parish et al...

Blame Heppell, Merrett, Parish et al...
I blame Judd

Before he arrived everyone was content sitting back and waiting for development. Then he came on the scene in a flash and everyone then expected their players to do the same.

By no means am I saying people can't discuss flaws in his game, but as Doss said, solely blaming an 18yr old kid for multiple losses is just unnecessary s**t kicking.

I have no idea whether he'll make it or not. He definitely does have some nice attributes, but he clearly needs a shot of confidence for mine. Some have been far too quick to write him off though.

One thing I genuinely don't have a read on; what kind of player can we expect him to be? I find him the hardest to read draftee we've had in some time, to be honest.

Kakkle
BrunoV
ant555

I'd be especially interested in your thoughts on this.

He was average at best in a game or two and poor to non-existent in the few other games I saw him play.

In theory he is a running half back with elite speed and quality disposal. A game at Windy Hill early in the year, in which he did nail some difficult long kicks from half back, aside there has been virtually nothing on display.

I agree with eth-dog that his defensive work has been poor. Assuming he's not a half back, because he can't adequately defend, the next role I'd assume would suit him would be on a wing but he had no where near the fitness to play a midfield role.

I have little hesitation assuming that he has no confidence in his body. I doubt that he got our of third gear at all (which is at odds with the way he seemed to play junior footy).

All you can really do is look at his underage role and performances and hope that, on the back of an uninterrupted pre-season, he can start to translate those qualities to senior football. The kindest way to treat his 2016 is as a write off.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back