Delisted #25: Alex Morgan - Signed with North Melbourne as a DFA - 1/11/17 - delisted again - 25/10/18

JohnnyDrama1

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Reading all the previews etc. prior to the draft most people has Riley Bonner as top 20 and Morgan more 30-50. Seem like similar players, anyone know what Morgan brings that Bonner doesn't, or why we opted for him over Bonner?

TheFrenchCut

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Reading all the previews etc. prior to the draft most people has Riley Bonner as top 20 and Morgan more 30-50. Seem like similar players, anyone know what Morgan brings that Bonner doesn't, or why we opted for him over Bonner?

Morgan is much quicker, and probably more physically ready. Morgan also, given his ability in traffic and also his ability to win the ball for himself, might be able to become a midfielder or winger. But Bonner is the better kick of the two imo, and 191cm compared to Morgan's 181cm. They both take the game on.

I would've liked Bonner, but I was also a fan of Morgan too.

efcboy

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2007
Essendon
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
not only that but i kind of like a person who has diversified interests.

Sometimes you get these kids who have breathed football only since day dot - they can become limited as people.

I much prefer the idea of somebody who has had a little break and done something else for a little bit, and then yeh as you say you learn to appreciate what footy is cause you have been without it.

I have this concern (well not really given he's a blue) that Weitering has been raised like a robot to play footy. He doesn't seem to have a social life and looks trained in every aspect of footy. His comments re swan and Martin confirmed this. I'm tipping most guys won't really like Weitering as a teammate as he wont be much fun.

From the highlights looks like he has a little bit of the Daniel Mcallister about him. Good athlete but mind slows to a crawl with ball in hand.

Lets see if he can work that out.
I thought that name was banned from this board.

JayDon

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2013
Home
AFL Club
Essendon
Like the look of this bloke. Rebounds off the backline like Dean Soloman! Maybe it's the #7??? :) How big is he?

I have this concern (well not really given he's a blue) that Weitering has been raised like a robot to play footy. He doesn't seem to have a social life and looks trained in every aspect of footy. His comments re swan and Martin confirmed this. I'm tipping most guys won't really like Weitering as a teammate as he wont be much fun.

I for one hope that Weitering isn't a robot like many players and only travel to Las Vegas or London. Loved guys like Baker and Southern who explored the world.

Actually i am as confident as can be that Weitering will be the number one player from the 2015 draft. It rarely happens.

Conor Mckenna

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Reminds me of a bigger bodied wanganeen. Will push out an in form and fit Dempsey in a year or two.

I like this draft because it puts pressure on the established players

Given that Alex is our first player I know of whose parents were both born in India perhaps he can be the new Indian rubber man...

Bears a striking resemblance on field to Camporeale and Wingard... let's hope he can deliver and play like his highlights package...very excited with our picks this year...Welcome to the mighty Dons Alex..Do us proud..

Krock

Draftee
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Is anyone able to elaborate on the rational behind why he 'lost interest' last year?
I think this guy has been very open and genuine already about why. Let's move on and Welcome Alex to Essendon. All our players new and old need our support.

I think this guy has been very open and genuine already about why. Let's move on and Welcome Alex to Essendon. All our players new and old need our support.
Appreciate the sentiment but obviously Paul_Barnard is not aware of the reasons and hence asked the question. It's not necessarily a case of wanting to dwell on anything.

And welcome to Big Footy. :)

Marley10

Cancelled
Dec 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
What? I think Weitering is really professional and mature at such a young age. The fact that he isn't interested in the party lifestyle is a big tick. Will be the best player in this draft IMO

efcboy

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2007
Essendon
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
What? I think Weitering is really professional and mature at such a young age. The fact that he isn't interested in the party lifestyle is a big tick. Will be the best player in this draft IMO

There is a work/life balance thing and if you overdo something you burn out and lose interest if you don't balance that out with some fun. Weitering has trained, trained, studied footy, trained, played footy, studied footy and played footy some more.

As a teenager that played basketball for school twice a week, club basketball once a week, representative basketball for Vic and Australia along with all the training whilst also watching a lot of basketball I was sick of it by my early 20s and following some injuries stopped playing altogether.

It's one thing now I tell my brothers and friends to keep an eye on their boys that they don't overdo it and burn out. My nephew is in the Swans academy and he's having a light summer for a change (no formal sports - just surfing and swimming for a break from it all). Weitering just looks like a kid that has never been to parties, never had a drink and won't get into the banter of a footy club. I see some concerns there.

There was a documentary about an NFL player - son of a former Oakland Raider. His father trained him from day dot to be a quarterback like a robot. He trained basically every day and was a great college player and was taken in NFL. By this time though he was burnt out and got he big money - he went off the rails and became a massive junkie. 'Twas a shame as he had real talent but lost the desire.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Marinovich

Last edited:
Back