Delisted #25: Alex Morgan - Signed with North Melbourne as a DFA - 1/11/17 - delisted again - 25/10/18

Remove this Banner Ad

He recored the quickest time over the 20m sprint at last year's combine (2.80s). it's exciting to think we could have some serious leg speed on our hands next year with Morgan, Raz and now Colyer. Imagine those three tearing up the wide expanses of the MCG!

The other thing about that is that Laverde, Merrett and others are quickish as well. Yes it's great to have a few with genuine speed, but it's about having more in your side who add to the speed of the spread combined with skilled ball movement. Also Myers came back last year looking a little skinnier and as a result quicker, if our inside beast moves well then it makes a huge difference. Myers was very quick as a junior but lost a yard or two, and struggled with groins, when he put on the muscle. I'm very interested to see how he comes back next year.

Did a couple of nice really nice things with ball in hand. Found out defensively and otherwise looked scratchy.
I saw glimpses that have me excited - that pace and decision making look decent. Hopefully we get to see him in afl soon.
Yep. That bit of play where he zoned off, took an intercept mark in defence and instinctively sprinted for a bit before spotting up a target forty metres away on the wing/flank had the desired levels of saucyness to it.

anyone watch the game and see how he went? Saw he had 22 possies in just his second game back

anyone watch the game and see how he went? Saw he had 22 possies in just his second game back
Was okay. Quick. Got found out defensively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The news isn’t as positive for fellow draftee Alex Morgan who injured his quad.

“He was able to play out the game in the VFL last weekend, but did report some trouble with his quad,” Crow said.

“We’re awaiting some further information before determining how long that will be.

“Obviously its frustrating given he’d only just returned to the field and despite all of the work to build him back up after a hamstring injury, he’s now gone down with a quad.”
giphy.gif

Maybe a bit early/harsh but I don't see "it" with him. He's quick, and has good skills, but he doesn't find it much and defensively he's okay at best. I have faith in Dodoro but what was it that made us pick him over Bonner, a similar type who is doing pretty well in the SANFL.

I have no idea what exactly he is. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing per se, yet, but he's a bit of an enigma for me.

That could sort of be the point with the pick though. We banked very safe picks in Parish and Francis, and to a lesser extent Hartley and Brown, so they take a punt on a player that could turn into rolled gold (not that VFL watchers can see it yet).

inb4 Steinberg over Parker

Last edited:
That could sort of be the point with the pick though. We banked very safe picks in Parish and Francis, and to a lesser extend Hartley and Brown, so they take a punt on a player that could turn into rolled gold (not that VFL watchers can see it yet).

inb4 Steinberg over Parker
The thing about Steiny is that he started as a forward which was fair enough in its own right, but with Morgs we also had Bonner available who many rated as a top 20 player in that draft playing as a similar type.

The thing about Steiny is that he started as a forward which was fair enough in its own right, but with Morgs we also had Bonner available who many rated as a top 20 player in that draft playing as a similar type.

Based on your description above (in post 191) he has many similar attributes to Colyer, though at the same age we were questioning Colyer's skills a bit more.

Is his lack of possessions based on bad positioning around the ground? That's probably more a cause for concern if true, as to be drafted I believe your ability to read the play and frequently be in the right spots shouldn't be questioned.

Anyway, the bonus is he's young so hopefully he can get a good run for the rest of the year and go into the preseason with confidence and knowing what he needs to work on.

What the * man. What has gotten into this board this weekend? We lose a close game and for some reason everyone hits the panic button?

We'd delist the entire playing group if everyone got their way.

How about we give a first year a bit of time to develop before we make a call on them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back