Past Ben Ronke - delisted 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

OeqIVxNL.png

Ben Ronke

Player Profile

Ben Ronke is an exciting Sydney Swans small forward who announced himself to the AFL world when he booted seven goals against Hawthorn in Round 8, 2018 in just his third senior match. The youngster’s MCG blitz saw him become the youngest Swan since 1982 to kick seven goals in a game – and he won an AFL Rising Star nomination in the process. Ronke slotted 24 goals in 2018 but just nine last year, so the Calder Cannons product is determined to recapture dangerous form in 2020.

Ben Ronke

DOB: 18 December 1997
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: St Bernard's (Vic)/Calder U18

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting the 'actually a pretty good read' from opposition supporters is the highest praise possible :p

Cheers for the kind words.
It’s a really great read in fact and I’m very impressed you turned it out in such a short amount of time, particularly after a close loss when you would still be hurting.

I would be ecstatic if there was a Swans equivalent.

I'm amazed by his accuracy.

He picks it up 45m from goal on an angle, straightens up with a couple of steps and just slots it with conifdence. Done it a few times this year and can't get over how accurate he can be with such little time.

I'm amazed by his accuracy.

He picks it up 45m from goal on an angle, straightens up with a couple of steps and just slots it with conifdence. Done it a few times this year and can't get over how accurate he can be with such little time.

He and George Hewett seem to be our most accurate shots on goal. Hewett is not getting many shots this year because he is acting as a tagger but before then he was very reliable.

Who would guess that the man who not that long ago refused to use small forwards (at one point opting for Tom Mitchell as a small forward) would now have three of the best young small/medium forwards in the comp?

Who would guess that the man who not that long ago refused to use small forwards (at one point opting for Tom Mitchell as a small forward) would now have three of the best young small/medium forwards in the comp?

He might start using them there more often next

I think that is Longmire's idea of hell, sort of like a gay man who has somehow accidentally managed to have 3 incredibly attractive women fall in love with him and who won't leave him alone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ronke is easily the best first year player this year, just didn't come in til a month or so into the season and in fairness that probably gave him some time in the reserves as a launching pad for a senior call-up. Stephenson was thrown into the deep end and thrived so he deserves it most. But Ronke > Stephenson.

The bye also seems to have stalled O Flo's claims. Not that he hasn't been impressive since the bye, he still has, just not having quite the impact he was having pre-bye. The fact the team's been pretty poor doesn't help.

If the Rising Star is based on this season alone, then we will have to wait and see who 'derserves' it more. I don't think there is an answer yet.

If projection into the future is part of the award, Stephenson should be over Ronke easily.

The Club should try and bait him into further extending his contract by a additional 3 years. Place a extra a 100k or so on his existing 2 years and gain a additional 3 years on top. His value will go skyrocket next year.

I guarantee we will regret it, if we don’t.

The Club should try and bait him into further extending his contract by a additional 3 years. Place a extra a 100k or so on his existing 2 years and gain a additional 3 years on top. His value will go skyrocket next year.

I guarantee we will regret it, if we don’t.
I don't like the term 'bait him', but yes I agree, we should be looking to extend him.

I don't like to dwell but can you imagine the damage we could have done in 2014 and 2016 if we had guys like Ronke in our team? Mercurial types who can lift a whole team and are up for the fight.. I think we finally have the mongrel we've always needed in this current crop of young Swans, just gotta get the experience into them

I don't like to dwell but can you imagine the damage we could have done in 2014 and 2016 if we had guys like Ronke in our team? Mercurial types who can lift a whole team and are up for the fight.. I think we finally have the mongrel we've always needed in this current crop of young Swans, just gotta get the experience into them

Agreed, as much as i loved McGlynn and really gutted for him when he missed out in 2012. He never had that x-factor the Ronke seems to have

Remove this Banner Ad

Back