Past Ben Ronke - delisted 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

OeqIVxNL.png

Ben Ronke

Player Profile

Ben Ronke is an exciting Sydney Swans small forward who announced himself to the AFL world when he booted seven goals against Hawthorn in Round 8, 2018 in just his third senior match. The youngster’s MCG blitz saw him become the youngest Swan since 1982 to kick seven goals in a game – and he won an AFL Rising Star nomination in the process. Ronke slotted 24 goals in 2018 but just nine last year, so the Calder Cannons product is determined to recapture dangerous form in 2020.

Ben Ronke

DOB: 18 December 1997
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: St Bernard's (Vic)/Calder U18

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/wi...he-is-no-one-game-wonder-20180720-p4zspp.html
"We weigh up a lot of the time the difference between attitude and ability," the Calder Cannons' talent manager Ian Kyte said of Ronke, whom he describes as "shy", "introverted" and "extremely polite".
"The kids with a lot of ability but a poor attitude won't get very far, but he had reasonable ability and a sensational attitude - that will carry him a lot further than just ability alone. His work ethic and mindset to get better got him to where he is now."
"He had two or three things not up to scratch. When he came back to us he was bigger and stronger," Kyte said. "He kept working on his kicking, even now it might be a little bit awkward but he's got it to become very effective as he's demonstrating now.
"His kicking was a query from recruiters as to whether it would stand up to the increased pressure of AFL. For his size he was a strong mark but he needed to work on his kicking."
"I've always had the attitude to try and get better. I want to soak up as much as I can from people I respect who are looking out for me," Ronke said. "And when you have the likes of the people I have at the Swans it's an attitude you need to have."

Gotta love Ronke

Frazb

Senior List
Jun 26, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Enjoyed watching ronke this season. Hoping saad goes to him on friday for a great battle. Would be interesting to see how ronke would handle his harassing speed.

Enjoyed watching ronke this season. Hoping saad goes to him on friday for a great battle. Would be interesting to see how ronke would handle his harassing speed.
Would only be interesting if Ronke wins... Saad has a fair bit more experience than Ronke, and I think he will be needed for Papley and Hayward.

So Ronke's dad played against a young John Longmire
Thanks for that SP, brilliant!
Seems like a great kid, very grounded and focused, confidence without arrogance.
Have to say I really like Kelli Underwoods interviewing skills, leads them then just let's them talk :thumbsu:

So Ronke's dad played against a young John Longmire

He's a great kid, seems so humble unlike on-field where he's lippy and plays with swagger. But Underwood lost me as soon as she asked if Buddy knows the names of his team-mates. What a stupid ******* question even if it's a joke.

But Underwood lost me as soon as she asked if Buddy knows the names of his team-mates. What a stupid ******* question even if it's a joke.
Can't say as I minded it, its pretty much along the pathway of my thinking when he first came to Sydney. Thought Ronke aced it with his answer!

Essendon appeared to put a lot of time into bumping and getting into Ronke on the weekend, felt he didnt get enough support from team mates at times either.

Teams are going to go at him, he will need team mates to help create space

Essendon appeared to put a lot of time into bumping and getting into Ronke on the weekend, felt he didnt get enough support from team mates at times either.

Teams are going to go at him, he will need team mates to help create space
Also, comments on Facebook, pre game, said he looked like he was slow warming up as if injured. Can anyone at game comment?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I actually feel for Ronke, because I think he would be a better player than he currently is if not for the 7 goal game. Most young players have the advantage of being able to slowly build and figure out what their best footy is over their first few years. Ronke had his benchmark thrust upon him in just his third game. Since then he has just not looked as effortless or as silky as he did in those first three games. He’s trying too hard, overthinking things when he’s involved. Not playing on instinct, more on desperation. And not the good kind of desperation. More the kind where he’s so desperate to produce his best that he’s not playing or thinking smart at all.

He needs to go to the NEAFL, have an extended run there where he can just figure out what his best footy looks like. Then come into the seniors later and start from scratch, like a second debut.

Agree he may be trying too hard. His timing in trying to crumb is out and his confidence seems at a low ebb. I agree a few weeks in the ressies might be more helpful than busting his guts for diminishing returns in the 1s.

Back