Past Ben Ronke - delisted 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

OeqIVxNL.png

Ben Ronke

Player Profile

Ben Ronke is an exciting Sydney Swans small forward who announced himself to the AFL world when he booted seven goals against Hawthorn in Round 8, 2018 in just his third senior match. The youngster’s MCG blitz saw him become the youngest Swan since 1982 to kick seven goals in a game – and he won an AFL Rising Star nomination in the process. Ronke slotted 24 goals in 2018 but just nine last year, so the Calder Cannons product is determined to recapture dangerous form in 2020.

Ben Ronke

DOB: 18 December 1997
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: St Bernard's (Vic)/Calder U18

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The guy is low on confidence. What we saw against Hawthorn should eliminate any desire to even consider trading him, he has a lot of talent when his heart is in it. Not playing with as much fire in the belly after he played a few games, hope he can get back to that early form. He could turn out like me in my playing days for my junior club. 6 goals on debut, 5 goals in my last game in the GF, **** all in between. It happens.
At least you got to play finals! I had zero appearances there 🤷‍♂️

What's up Ronke?

Had to be one of the worst on ground last night

Trying hard. At one stage he butchered the ball and was so irate I thought he'd actually beat himself up.

Small fwd role requires footy IQ, confidence and timing. He is missing the latter two at the moment. Think he will come good. If Jose stays and Papley goes, we will need him next year.

His form is really not much different than last year. He's just not as good as we prematurely thought he is.

He had two games that got us excited but you can check his game logs for that year and apart from those two games he was only kicking 1 goal every few games.

His average without the two anomalies was 0.75 goals a game. This year he is 0.6 goals a game.

His form is really not much different than last year. He's just not as good as we prematurely thought he is.

He had two games that got us excited but you can check his game logs for that year and apart from those two games he was only kicking 1 goal every few games.

His average without the two anomalies was 0.75 goals a game. This year he is 0.6 goals a game.
Excellent, Longmire doesn’t kick any and he got a contract extension. The relevance of stats!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To this point, those two games against Hawthorn and North last year represent a truly confounding 15 minutes of fame. His other 24 games have been uninspiring to say the least. He's young so here's hoping he'll get there, but I've got serious doubts.
Never left the 50m arc in those games, the question has to be asked...’why are we seeing him in the back line all the time’?
When he gets dropped to NEAFL, they play him midfield and it’s baffling.
Like Rowbottom, play him in his natural position!

Yup, for mine, needs to be left i50..at least until settled. Anywhere outside the arc, and he seems to lose awareness and composure, often panic kicking the ball blindly. When i50, he backs himself. Wasnt just in the hawks, norf games..played very well also against cats and kicked some beauties against lions. The way the goals came against hawks..they werent gifted..he made them happen..sheer pace to beat opponent...strong taclking...audacity to take on his opponents...accurate goal kicking....all this combined suggests there's something there...just needs to settle in the right role...find his feet and confidence should return.

I get the feeling he is trying too hard. Probably has zero idea why nothing is coming off for him when he found the going much easier last year. So he is trying to pull off the miracle play to justify his position when he should be trying to simplify the way he is playing.

Also even though his 5 and 7 goal efforts stand out he did kick 2 goals in 4 other matches and when he wasnt kicking goals was providing good defensive pressure with much higher tackle numbers than this year.

Give him a go in the midfield? Wasn't that the position he was initially recruited for? Seasons over, may be worth a shot.

He has looked extremely good in two games in his debut but something has changed.. whether hes feeling too much pressure or hes worried about losing his spot i dont know, but he is playing very selfish football atm..blazing away every chance he gets and burning teammates along the way. Hes not the only one guilty but it is noticeable.

Hes a talented player and can have a very good career but imo he just needs to settle down and think about what hes doing a bit more. Focus on using his strong tackling skills and quick pace to apply manic pressure and the goals will come

He has looked extremely good in two games in his debut but something has changed.. whether hes feeling too much pressure or hes worried about losing his spot i dont know, but he is playing very selfish football atm..blazing away every chance he gets and burning teammates along the way. Hes not the only one guilty but it is noticeable.

Hes a talented player and can have a very good career but imo he just needs to settle down and think about what hes doing a bit more. Focus on using his strong tackling skills and quick pace to apply manic pressure and the goals will come
Oh bullshit...get over it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back