AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - Dead-eye

Remove this Banner Ad

That Stringer looked miles off being fit when he'd had that long off is probably as much a reflection on him as it is the injury itself.

This is a guy who, as a professional athlete in his late 20s, only figured out last year that running more than 2km at a time might serve as good prep for a sport where people regularly run 14km a game.

That Stringer looked miles off being fit when he'd had that long off is probably as much a reflection on him as it is the injury itself.

This is a guy who, as a professional athlete in his late 20s, only figured out last year that running more than 2km at a time might serve as good prep for a sport where people regularly run 14km a game.
Not this horse crap again. Total fabrication based on the context of the conversation being miss read.
The crux of that conversation was he was never asked to step up and do the midfield running as he was always in the forward group so he did the running asked by the fitness staff for the forwards. Caracella challenged him to have a crack at doing what the midfield group so he did. Had zero to do with him being lazy or too stupid to work anything out. He has run the programs put in front of him.
I would argue it has been a poor move as the running overload has given him groin and soft tissue issues in the last couple of years.
You have to remember as junior he has a massive broken leg that snapped his shin bone and effected how he ran and how much work load they could put into him. He was on a 70% training program in his first couple of seasons with the Dogs and they never bothered pushing him to the absolute limits because the risk of break down was always there.

Obviously far from his best but he needed that and that goal from outside 50 just ignited us.

That's what he does!

Clearly a little bit rusty but I don’t think we bother with him in the middle anymore.

With the rise of Perko and Hobbs and Shiel really teeing off again I think you try and get him as close to goal as possible because that’s where he can do serious damage.

Clearly a little bit rusty but I don’t think we bother with him in the middle anymore.

With the rise of Perko and Hobbs and Shiel really teeing off again I think you try and get him as close to goal as possible because that’s where he can do serious damage.
On flip side i felt like he found a bit of form after they threw him into the centre bounce a few times in 3rd. His timing was off but just laying some tackles and being more involved got him firing up.

Essendon legend Matthew Lloyd says he'd tell Jake Stringer to "toughen up" amid reports he was upset after being called out by his coach after a poor performance....

The same legend Matthew Lloyd who was told to toughen up and move up the ground so threw out the toys and quit?

Essendon legend Matthew Lloyd says he'd tell Jake Stringer to "toughen up" amid reports he was upset after being called out by his coach after a poor performance....

The same legend Matthew Lloyd who was told to toughen up and move up the ground so threw out the toys and quit?
Fox Footy one week - Ben Rutten should be more sensitive to Jake's feelings and not comment in public about his performance
Fox Footy two weeks later - hey everyone look how lazy stringer is based on this one bit of footage we are going to repeat continuously for a week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fox Footy one week - Ben Rutten should be more sensitive to Jake's feelings and not comment in public about his performance
Fox Footy two weeks later - hey everyone look how lazy stringer is based on this one bit of footage we are going to repeat continuously for a week
i could probably do a very effective analysis of that piece of footage highlighting Jake’s leadership of the younger players and directing where they should run

i didnt mind rutten question stringer though I believe you praise in public criticise in private
but why does rutten not publically challenge merrett parish Heppell etc who have been pox all year

i didnt mind rutten question stringer though I believe you praise in public criticise in private
but why does rutten not publically challenge merrett parish Heppell etc who have been pox all year
he didn't walk into his presser and go "hey i reckon jake's a bit s**t", he was directly asked about stringer's game and he answered honestly, which i thought was something we're supposed to want.
if he'd responded "actually he was good" punters would be melting about that too.

he didn't walk into his presser and go "hey i reckon jake's a bit s**t", he was directly asked about stringer's game and he answered honestly, which i thought was something we're supposed to want.
if he'd responded "actually he was good" punters would be melting about that too.

Yeh classics like, he's playing the fat side half forward role, it's not easy , there's a lot of unseen running but it's keeps our shape. A good game isn't always measured on goals or possessions

There is a difference between saying yeah Jake had a quiet game to what he said
he Could have extended what he said and honestly stated our senior players have been disappointing for most of the year especially through the midfield- Jake is not our biggest concern I would have thought

His goal, fire starter.
See Jason Momoa GIF by Apple TV+

Got us home in the last after doing nothing all day.

The kick to Langford for the sealer was ridiculous - had a split second to sum it up and just nailed it. Not sure if it showed up on tv but live you could see that it was totally the kick directing Langford not vice versa.
Commentators said exactly same thing.

I don't mind having him as a forward that starts in the center square and we have a midfielder that starts in the F50.

He can also play like an old-fashioned centreman who takes a centre bounce and controls the centre square.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back