AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - Dead-eye

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind having him as a forward that starts in the center square and we have a midfielder that starts in the F50.

He can also play like an old-fashioned centreman who takes a centre bounce and controls the centre square.

I don’t think he has he defensive capacity to do that without us being really leaky, plus it’s not where he’s used best.

I concede that he’s struggling to consistently impact as a permanent forward so getting him up around the ball might be necessary in spurts.

Not the worst thing though, he’s a cracking kick to advantage.

I don’t think he has he defensive capacity to do that without us being really leaky, plus it’s not where he’s used best.

I concede that he’s struggling to consistently impact as a permanent forward so getting him up around the ball might be necessary in spurts.

Not the worst thing though, he’s a cracking kick to advantage.
I think starting at a centre bounce then drifting forward as soon as that battle is done, while Parish or Merrett start on the flank then run like they are the ball.

I've re-watched that checkside goal around 20 times.
A thing of beauty. Most player's probably either try to centre that kick or if having a shot , slam it on the boot.

Great instinct to go the banana.

I've re-watched that checkside goal around 20 times.
A thing of beauty. Most player's probably either try to centre that kick or if having a shot , slam it on the boot.

Great instinct to go the banana.

It probably wont even get nominated or talked about again but I don’t see how that isn’t goal of the year to this point.

Degree of difficulty is a ‘you are joking if you’re even trying it’ out of 10 and he just trotted back to the middle as if he’d kicked a Joe the goose from the goal line.

It probably wont even get nominated or talked about again but I don’t see how that isn’t goal of the year to this point.

Degree of difficulty is a ‘you are joking if you’re even trying it’ out of 10 and he just trotted back to the middle as if he’d kicked a Joe the goose from the goal line.
It'll be like the Hawkins 50 out on the boundary soccer goal against the Giants

I still can't believe Eddie won it that year over that. It was a fantastic goal but Hawkins' was one of the best goals ever IMO

100%

Just finished the replay - it’s insanity that he even tried it, let alone nailed it.

where is he at? i'm disappointed with him at the moment.

i think he's trying hard enough - 7 tackles at the weekend. needs to stop cooking his teammates when they don't kick it to him.

we're paying consistent A grade money for inconsistent B- performances at the moment.

i think fitness is holding him back, but i can't be sure he will ever be "fully fit" like he was for a good stretch last year, ever again.

where is he at? i'm disappointed with him at the moment.

i think he's trying hard enough - 7 tackles at the weekend. needs to stop cooking his teammates when they don't kick it to him.

we're paying consistent A grade money for inconsistent B- performances at the moment.

i think fitness is holding him back, but i can't be sure he will ever be "fully fit" like he was for a good stretch last year, ever again.

I suspect his injury over the pre-season means he's very under-done. A guy like Snelling is a much more natural endurance runner and has really struggled to get back up to the level needed, which shows how hard it is.

Hopefully he gets a clear pre-season because Jake without a tank and Jake with some tank are totally different players. I suspect he'll never be able to handle genuine midfield loads without breaking down though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terribly underwhelming at the moment.
I hate the wrap around handball receives he is calling for and getting and then launching rushed, high, misguided, bomb kicks.
FFS win your own footy and use it better!

Terribly underwhelming at the moment.
I hate the wrap around handball receives he is calling for and getting and then launching rushed, high, misguided, bomb kicks.
FFS win your own footy and use it better!
i was at the game on Sunday, and he was dishing out a few sprays when it wasn't given to him as well

His groove being beating up on rubbish sides like North?

Up to a 2-goal average now, playing through injury. He's had 10 goals, 15 tackles and averaging 15 stats in the past 3 weeks. Without checking, I'd suggest very few other players in the AFL would meet those figures.

His groove being beating up on rubbish sides like North?
The quality of the opponent might reduce the opportunities or force a more limited player to kick from angles that they struggle with, but we know Stringer is competent enough to reliably kick goals from any angle, set shot, on the run, from anywhere inside the arc, when he's in form. Forcing him to kick from the boundary shouldn't result in the ball going out of bounds on the full as often as it has lately.

But he did well to convert yesterday, so hopefully the form slump that he inevitably has after coming back from injuries has finally shaken out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back