My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 19, Harlequin

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
I think the biggest issue is Stringer's lack of influence in the air, as Bruno touched on. His hands have been better this year than in previous, but he doesn't really crash packs and create contests which is obviously an issue when we need a bailout option.
Aside from the Hawks game he has been reasonable since moving forward, but for it to work permanently he'll need to improve a few more areas of his game imo.

The only time I can remember Jake really crashing into a pack was when he took that mark in Rd 1 in the backline

hurlygurdy

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
From a certain slant of light, Jake is the perfect fit for our forward line. We've got JD and Stewart who can take contested marks and we have our fleet of smalls who cover all bases (particularly been missing Fantasia with his marking on the lead). Jake is x-factor icing on the cake who can crash stoppages and do a bit of everything. In these times of trouble it's tempting to apply the blowtorch to everyone, but it's not appropriate in this case.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Had a shocker against the Hawks - had one of those games where you barely noticed he was playing - As Jack Dyer said ' he Got to where the ball ain't.'

I seem to remember Hawks supporters gloating about Stratton consistently having his number during the Doggies years.

swifty

Senior List
Jul 26, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I haven’t been in the country this year Nor seen any footy - but has he put on some weight? Injury? He doesn’t look the same. Mind you he was not the same with us last year. Commiserations today. Always had a soft spot for Jakey and you blokes.
He looks fat .

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
Bathwater is high in calories.

In all seriousness, without sounding smug or here to stir, but in my opinion his whole reputation was built on one solid season and Brian Taylor calling him "The Package".

He looks lost to be honest.

He does look lost and making it worst even when he is clear like he was at least twice today, he gets ignored.

Jul 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
De La Salle VAFA
The guy is talented and can play footy but he needs to get his body and his mind right.

Once this guy has more physical and mental health he will become a good contributor.

Jul 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
De La Salle VAFA
Agree that he should both lose weight & play some time in the middle.

Let’s be honest, he needs to catch up with Jones old boxing coach for extra sessions after training.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
The strange part of his preseason was all the talk was about him slimming down, then two weeks before the season started they were talking about how he'd put on 4 kgs and is up to 96kgs.

Ideal scenario he is 88-89 kgs. He doesn't need to hit the weights anymore, keep him running and on the bike and in the pool.

David Schwarz

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 30, 2013
M9 - M10 Standing Room
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I think he has put on weight, or at the very least isn't looking after himself, his arms aren't as defined as they used to be.

Bathwater is high in calories.

In all seriousness, without sounding smug or here to stir, but in my opinion his whole reputation was built on one solid season and Brian Taylor calling him "The Package".

He looks lost to be honest.

Two-and-a-half years he had of blissfully good form, then it nosedived after the sixth round in 2016.

Lost is a good word. Then again, with all of the off-field stuff having washed its way into public knowledge, I guess that's understandable.

I personally thought he was too broken to move to another club, was more than happy if he stayed because at least it was a familiar place for him.

We don’t isolate him enough, looked best against Port when we where able to isolate him and give him room, too many of our forwards don’t work hard enough to give all our other forwards a fair crack or a chance of a one on one that other teams seem to get

The only time he looked good in the grand final was after the second half, when whichever useful idiot who was playing on him evaporated and he found himself completely alone to do anything he wanted.

I'd like to think that even if Daniher is out of form, he can at least be a very good 6 foot 5 inch distraction for Jake to run amok in the forward line.

Back