AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - Contract year incoming

25 - stringer.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2024

My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 19, Harlequin

Last edited by a moderator:
Missed too much footy this year, 4 games plus a couple of halves where he sustained injuries and had to sit out.

If he played all 22 and kicked straight he’d definitely have a case

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Nah, I think we just overrate him. He's good, but not AA good.

We know that. But it’s fun to stir people up with thought of it.

Next year it’s pretty much guaranteed he will explode into a truely star player.

But on to next week....I like to think of Jake as a soldier in the wastelands of Lord Humungous’ army and he’s about to be unleashed as a dog of war ready to attack the WCE fuel dump.

Apparently been at training today too. For someone whose professionalism was apparently pretty suspect when he arrived here, I'm pretty happy to hear that.

Rustyrich

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Apparently been at training today too. For someone whose professionalism was apparently pretty suspect when he arrived here, I'm pretty happy to hear that.
Let's hope they feed off his energy. I've said it a few times and I'll say it again. We are not that far back from the pack

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Based on pre season photos?

"Michael Hurley, Devon Smith, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Jake Stringer were among the experienced players making an early start, with Essendon's full list set to train together for the first time on November 25."

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
View attachment 809882
Contract Status: Out of contract 2021
Last Game Played: Currently in the side
Injury Status: n/a

My most preferred forward.

I can trust him with aggott in hand at goalkicking than I can Stewart, Daniher and McKernan.

Safe to say Dodo's delivered Essendon a Sweet Package.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Whilst many of our players have had interrupted pre-seasons it sounds like Stringer is as fit as he's ever been in his time here

In the midst of his club’s wretched summer injury run, Essendon gun Jake Stringer says he’s never been in better shape after experiencing one of his best and smoothest pre-seasons of his AFL career.

A host of key Bombers have, at different stages over the past few months, battled a range of injuries or suffered setbacks, including Joe Daniher (groin), Cale Hooker (hip), Dylan Shiel (knee) David Zaharakis (knee), Dyson Heppell (foot), Michael Hurley (shoulder) and Orazio Fantasia (hip).

However Stringer, who battled foot, knee and hamstring issues to play 19 of a possible 23 games in 2019, has not just been a constant presence on the track, but also one of Essendon’s best trainers.

In his eighth AFL pre-season, Stringer recently ran a personal best in the 2km time trial, slashing a whopping 20 seconds off his previous top time.

Asked on SEN Breakfast how he was going physically, Stringer cheekily said: “I’m borderline flying at the minute … nah I’m going well.”

The 25-year-old said it’d been “one of the hardest pre-seasons I’ve ever done”. He hailed the influence of the Bombers’ new head of strength and conditioning Sean Murphy, who’s come across from Hawthorn and “really tested us physically and mentally”.

“Not being injured is a massive part and I don't think I've missed a session the whole pre-season, which is all you can ask for when you go into a pre-season is complete as many sessions as you can. I’d be probably in the top one or two at the club that hasn’t missed,” Stringer told SEN on Friday morning.

Asked if it’d been one of his smoothest AFL pre-seasons yet, Stringer declared: “Yeah, by far.

“Last year was pretty good, but this year’s been taken to a new level with Sean Murphy coming across. He's really pushed the boundaries with me.

“It's been a hard slog and, don't worry, I'm looking forward to playing and getting out of this pre-season phase.”

Even though Stringer is “flying”, he said seven or eight teammates are still not in full training, but the “majority of them were running”.

“Not everything's gone to plan, obviously. There's been a few blokes that are still not quite into full training, but that's part of football and part of the pre-season. You’ve just got to deal with whatever comes,” Stringer said.

He later added: “We’re in a great position to able to springboard into the season and hopefully get a few more of these top echelon blokes back.”

The first-round draft pick kicked 98.55 for the Bulldogs in 2015 and 2016 before being traded ahead of the 2018 season to the Bombers, where he’s spent recent summers training with the on-ballers.

Stringer said the plan was still for him to play a mixture of midfield and forward minutes this season, but added he’d been training primarily with the attacking group this pre-season and “honing in on my craft as a forward”.

Stringer said Essendon’s succession plan, which will see senior coach John Worsfold gradually hand the reins to assistant Ben Rutten throughout 2020, was working well. He said Worsfold was at the club everyday and engaged with the players, but Rutten took charge of all tactical discussions and meetings.

“The work that John and Ben have done together has been absolutely outstanding and literally the smoothest transition that you could possibly ever see. It's a credit to both of them how well it's actually gone,” Stringer said.

“I couldn’t be happier with where the club is at the minute.”

Stringer said there’d be a noticeable but not dramatic change to the club’s game plan this season.

“It’ll definitely be a lot more consistent,” Stringer said.

“From a whole learning (process) and even in training, you’re seeing it more and more every time we’re doing bits of match ‘sim’. I think it’ll be very noticeable when people come to watch us.”

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
He loves Sean Murphy..you could hear it in his voice and it seems like he is getting the most out of Jake so far. Some nice positive news.

Can we hire Justin Crow again so we can sack him again?

Back