AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for a positive post from me for a change.

Obviously injury ruined his season but prior to that I think he was playing well. He’s a seriously good footballer.

I honestly think the pile in over his weight this week has been unfair. He is clearly the type who puts on weight when not active. The guy was in a moon boot ffs, not sure what sort of fitness work he could’ve done. He clearly came back underdone.

Very happy he’s on our list, stands out as a great trade by us.

Obviously injury ruined his season but prior to that I think he was playing well. He’s a seriously good footballer.

I honestly think the pile in over his weight this week has been unfair. He is clearly the type who puts on weight when not active. The guy was in a moon boot ffs, not sure what sort of fitness work he could’ve done. He clearly came back underdone.

He is one of our most important players when he is fit and at his best. That game against Collingwood was awesome!

He is one of our most important players when he is fit and at his best. That game against Collingwood was awesome!
Absolutely, he was a beast in that game. In hindsight, his injury late in that game was the catalyst of our demise from then on.

He looked to be on the verge of killing it. Clearly not completely right to go atm.

Ankles the worst for that kind of thing. Billy Brownless has made mention of it in the past and how it is a curse. Can't do the work, gain the weight, harder to do the work.

And as much as people pile it on Dean Rioli about eating turtle on his breaks, pretty sure it was dodgy ankles that did him in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time to reset the professionalism standards for this club, no more games for Stringer until he can meet his skin fold KPIs or similar. He needs to be pushed and hopefully this will bring the best out of him.

We're going to struggle to field a team most weeks if we start enforcing random KPIs; especially the "hit a leading target on the chest from 30+m" one...

Time to reset the professionalism standards for this club, no more games for Stringer until he can meet his skin fold KPIs or similar. He needs to be pushed and hopefully this will bring the best out of him.
Good luck with that.

Pre ankle injury he was flying, FLYING, no coincidence that when Jake did the injury, bye bye Bombers. ( white shorts do him no favours)
^^ This in spades. He was the reason we beat he pies. Was killing it

With the injury he had, limited running, hub life etc it is a wonder he came back at all. No where near fit post injury but we were also cooked as a team when he returned.

Fingers crossed for a good preseason and a return to form.

What part of Jake Stringers personality that you've seen so far leads you to believe he'd react well to ultimatums around skin folds and being pushed hard?

Pre ankle injury he was flying, FLYING, no coincidence that when Jake did the injury, bye bye Bombers. ( white shorts do him no favours)

Pretty much. He should not have come back this year he clearly wasnt fit after the iniury, all its done is give people ammunition to bag him.

Was he in QLD with the team the whole time or did he get to spend time with his family? I imagine it would be quite de-motivating to be away from your kids for an extended period while also not being able to play while stuck in hotels with a bunch of people who are able to play.

^^ This in spades. He was the reason we beat he pies. Was killing it

With the injury he had, limited running, hub life etc it is a wonder he came back at all. No where near fit post injury but we were also cooked as a team when he returned.

Fingers crossed for a good preseason and a return to form.
That Pies game was everything we’d wanted from recruiting the guy and probably his best overall game. Three goals, gave one or two off and a big influence at centre bounces.

Was he in QLD with the team the whole time or did he get to spend time with his family? I imagine it would be quite de-motivating to be away from your kids for an extended period while also not being able to play while stuck in hotels with a bunch of people who are able to play.
His partner and baby came up to the hub with him but his older children stayed in Melbourne with their mother.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back