My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 19, Harlequin

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
Yeah I might too my lizard friend.

On Stringer he’s been gonna be a midfielder once he gets a tank forever and forever never seems to arrive, I quite like the hybrid thing for him though especially given our other mids are mostly wee men.
I reckon we need to bite the bullet and whack him in the midfield most the time and see how he handles it and leave Francis forward as the third tall.

PressureCooker

All Australian
May 6, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I reckon we need to bite the bullet and whack him in the midfield most the time and see how he handles it and leave Francis forward as the third tall.
I disagree. Stick to his strengths which is centre bounce bull and dangerous forward. Best of both worlds. He's shown he gets a bit lost around the ground when playing midfield for extended minutes and struggles to have an impact outside of stoppages.

Really liked how the coaches used him on the weekend. Actually showed they are willing to try a thing or two outside the box.

Stringer

Merrett
Tipungwuti
I don't think Walla will be as high because even though his good games have been really good, he's had 5 really bad games. Shiel, Heppell, Hurley, etc will poll better because they haven't had many really bad games.

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
I disagree. Stick to his strengths which is centre bounce bull and dangerous forward. Best of both worlds. He's shown he gets a bit lost around the ground when playing midfield for extended minutes and struggles to have an impact outside of stoppages.

Really liked how the coaches used him on the weekend. Actually showed they are willing to try a thing or two outside the box.
That’s more when he didn’t have the tank. I want them to try again and if it doesn’t work so be it.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't believe in this Stringer leading our b&f hype. He's been really good for us but not that good. Keep in mind he didn't even place top 10 last year. Guys like Merrett, Shiel, Hurley and Saad will all be ahead of him so far this year.

Liberator

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Saad is great. Dogged, consistent, with regular dashes of brilliance thrown in. Great balance between defensive and offensive acts. Very very happy to have him in the red n black.
Stringer has been a type of player for us I wasn’t expecting: often selfless and team-oriented (often of course an absolute pig, busting through tackles and kicking arsey goals- and that’s totally as it should be). One thing I’ve noticed is that he is really good beneath the knees, in the forward line but especially at centre bounces.

I'm not sure how much of a reflection our mvp is of the Crichton historically but if it is a good one Stringer is no where near top 3. He has been very good though. As a board we are seeing it Shiel, Heppell, Saad, Merrett in no particular order atm.

I'm not sure how much of a reflection our mvp is of the Crichton historically but if it is a good one Stringer is no where near top 3. He has been very good though. As a board we are seeing it Shiel, Heppell, Saad, Merrett in no particular order atm.
our MVP is another midfielder’s accumulators award, the Crichton tends not to be.

The current format of the Crichton (every player gets a rating out of 10 from each coach) tends favour consistency more than our mvp does. So it's probably not as good a guide as it used to be.

The current format of the Crichton (every player gets a rating out of 10 from each coach) tends favour consistency more than our mvp does. So it's probably not as good a guide as it used to be.
I wouldn't be surprised if ours was all over the shop given not as many tend to vote when we lose... which is pretty regularly. Still interesting though.

I still can't believe he plays for us, it's becoming a running gag inside my own head. I can't rationalise it.

Better than that, for a so called 'problem child' he hasn't put a foot wrong since crossing over and is probably playing his way into the leadership group.

He's got scope to get better too I would think only just having turned 25. He's becoming the player we all secretly hoped he could be while everyone else was calling (hoping for) a train wreck when he first got here.

Back