AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - Dead-eye

Remove this Banner Ad

Think he's been an underrated recruit, maybe not recognised as much because of how good Smith and Saad have been.

Averaged almost 15 stats, kicked 1.5 goals a game, showed he could pinch hit in the middle, all playing in a new team which finished a couple of games outside the 8. Pretty impressive for mine.

It is also fair to say he had a fairly slow start to the year as well. His output averages after the team started to turn around were better than that.
If he had daniher as support I reckon he'd be capable of 45. He's nothing more than a pinch hitter in the midfield for mine. Should stick down forward and go in when someone needs a rest.

Totally agree. If Essendon play two genuine KPFs in Daniher and McKernan plus two dangerous (and quick) small forwards then it leaves the last two forward roles to Stringer and either Baguely or a resting mid. Who does the 3rd tall or loose defender go to? You think it'd be Stringer. He is smart and will be able to sneak in behind the defence if his man is not paying enough attention.

I'd still play Francis forward with Stringer at his feet, two players with football brains, major handful for opposition.

I did sometimes lean that way 18 months ago when he hadn't shown a lot, but his finish to the season changes all that. He just belongs down back now, but can swing forward. He will be able to develop without being "the man" while Hurley and Hooker are here too. Perfect scenario because as they lose powers he'll take up the slack. Not only does make his development better it symbiotically makes them more effective at the end of their careers.

Is the plan still to transition him into the midfield? Was always a two preseason minimum proposition for that to happen but wasn't sure if the coaches wanted to continue down that path.

From memory had the highest clearance differential influence when playing in the stoppages.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is the plan still to transition him into the midfield? Was always a two preseason minimum proposition for that to happen but wasn't sure if the coaches wanted to continue down that path.

From memory had the highest clearance differential influence when playing in the stoppages.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think that will continue but will probably be more of a forward that goes in when needed or uses his clearance skills around forward stoppages.

The coaches will have learned a lot in 2018 about how to use Jake, not to mention Jake learning about his new team mates and midfield craft. I expect going forward we will probably see him about 70% up forward and most of the remaining time he will be in at the clearances. There will be the odd game where he plays more midfield than forward but I think in the long term it will be the exception rather than the rule.

If he's happy and motivated, then I think he can still improve on his existing fitness levels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And what those highlights dont show is how selfless he was at times this year. Playing in the ruck etc.

With Shiel and everyone else that we have to be excited about I forgot we have this guy who could be an absolute weapon if he gets back to his best.
Not that he wasnt good this year.

Hopefully he is more settled now than he was when he came to us and can get really fit during the preseason.

Let’s go Snakey, full beast mode for 2019

upload_2018-11-12_16-34-1.jpeg

Senior players including captain Dyson Heppell, ruckman Tom Bellchambers and forwards Jake Stringer and Orazio Fantasia returned to Tullamarine a week early to join the Bombers’ second-to-fourth-year players on the first day of pre-season on Monday.

:hearteyes:

Let’s go Snakey, full beast mode for 2019

View attachment 583773

Senior players including captain Dyson Heppell, ruckman Tom Bellchambers and forwards Jake Stringer and Orazio Fantasia returned to Tullamarine a week early to join the Bombers’ second-to-fourth-year players on the first day of pre-season on Monday.

:hearteyes:
Looking very fit, a fit and firing Stringer will be huge for us next year and could make the difference to us finishing high next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back